Scottish Players in Action 18/19 - Page 107 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in Action 18/19

PASTA Mick

3 minutes ago, GHfaeGTA said:

I think the results of German clubs in champions league recently shows how the top German teams compare to England. On that basis Bundesliga 2 must be pretty poor

Listening to the same argument on Australian TV now, can’t  mind how the CL went last season but I don’t think you can take 1 season and look to make a wider comment on quality 

Borussia Dortmund cool interest in Kieran Tierney as they feel that £25m is too steep.

I've said it before (I think it was on this thread), and was scoffed at, but I'll say it again. No team will ever spend more than £15m on a Scottish based Scottish footballer.

Edited by Chripper

7 hours ago, Chripper said:

Borussia Dortmund cool interest in Kieran Tierney as they feel that £25m is too steep.

I've said it before (I think it was on this thread), and was scoffed at, but I'll say it again. No team will ever spend more than £15m on a Scottish based Scottish footballer.

It’s no like Celtic to be greedy is it?

7 hours ago, Chripper said:

Agree sort of.

More likely is Leicester sell Chillewell for about 50m (since he’s young and English this is the sort of money he will go for).

Celtic then sell Tierney for less than half that figure & Leicester get probably a better player of a similar age for about half the cash. 

No brainer all round, especially for Tierney. 

3 hours ago, Marky said:

I think it's fair to say we've massively undersold players in the past.

VVD left us for around £15m, before becoming a £70m player.  

Dembele will end up leaving Lyon for much more than the £20m we got for him.

2 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

You haven’t “undersold” them. That’s the going rate for top players playing in Scotland.

You were greedy (and arrogant) in the John McGinn saga and not only did you end up not getting the player, it was arguably the cause of you losing your manager as well.

2 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Completely misunderstanding how the transfer market works.

Van Dijk wasn't a £70 million player at Celtic.   The two and a half years he spent playing in the EPL did several things. 

He became a better player by playing against better players on a consistent basis.   

With any player moving from one league to another there is a risk that the player wouldn't be able to adjust to playing in that league.   That's a risk that Southampton took when he moved from Celtic but not one that Liverpool faced as by that time he was a proven EPL player.

He became a regular Internationalist - see getting better by playing against better players.

All of this meant that his market value increased, then on top of that you have the fact that transfers from one EPL club to another generally come at a premium because the general market in that division is over inflated.

Then you have the fact that Liverpool were pretty desperate to sign a centre half as that was one of the parts of the team they were really struggling with.  They specifically were desperate to sign Van Dijk as they tapped him up and got caught.   Southampton apparently had the proof of this.  You'd be pretty naive to assume that didn't stick another few million on the fee.

Celtic sold Van Dijk for about 5 times what they paid Gronigen.

Southampton sold him for about five times more than the paid for him.

I think Celtic did more than well out of Van Dijk.

1 hour ago, aaid said:

Completely misunderstanding how the transfer market works.

Van Dijk wasn't a £70 million player at Celtic.   The two and a half years he spent playing in the EPL did several things. 

He became a better player by playing against better players on a consistent basis.   

With any player moving from one league to another there is a risk that the player wouldn't be able to adjust to playing in that league.   That's a risk that Southampton took when he moved from Celtic but not one that Liverpool faced as by that time he was a proven EPL player.

He became a regular Internationalist - see getting better by playing against better players.

All of this meant that his market value increased, then on top of that you have the fact that transfers from one EPL club to another generally come at a premium because the general market in that division is over inflated.

Then you have the fact that Liverpool were pretty desperate to sign a centre half as that was one of the parts of the team they were really struggling with.  They specifically were desperate to sign Van Dijk as they tapped him up and got caught.   Southampton apparently had the proof of this.  You'd be pretty naive to assume that didn't stick another few million on the fee.

Celtic sold Van Dijk for about 5 times what they paid Gronigen.

Southampton sold him for about five times more than the paid for him.

I think Celtic did more than well out of Van Dijk.

Those are all valid points but it's also fair to say that vvd doing as well as he has done and guys like wanyama and dembele doing well show that players from Celtic or even the spl in general can cut it at the top level. Also considering that vvd was sold several years ago and the general increase we have seen in the transfer fees then it's not unreasonable to see Tierney go for 20m in the near future.

18 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Agree sort of.

More likely is Leicester sell Chillewell for about 50m (since he’s young and English this is the sort of money he will go for).

Celtic then sell Tierney for less than half that figure & Leicester get probably a better player of a similar age for about half the cash. 

No brainer all round, especially for Tierney. 

Fingers crossed. We need as many players as we can to be playing in top leagues. 

Usually I would say that there is no way that Tierney would join a mid-table EPL side, but because of his connections to Brendan Rogers, who knows.

18 hours ago, Marky said:

Not at all. :P

I switched between the Hamburg and Sheffield United vs Leeds match, but I only caught the first half of both:

Cooper is not very good, he'll probably be sold when Leeds get promoted. Fleck will probably hold his own in the EPL, but as a bottom-mid table player.

The Bates one is a stumper, in the first half Hamburg were strolling it 2:0... then I turn off and the lose 2:3. I don't know whether any of the goals were Bates's fault. One thing I will say is that Hamburg play football the right way, they play football on the deck, so Bates is definitely learning good habits.

1 hour ago, McTeeko said:

Two shockers from Liam Cooper today - the first mistake resulting in Sheffield United’s goal, the second one resulting in his keeper getting sent off 😫

He's awful. Glad he's never been near the squad. 

6 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

He's awful. Glad he's never been near the squad. 

Ok . He's actually not awful mate . He did have a bad game today but he's allowed that the amount of times he saved us this season . Your allowed your opinion but he's a lot better than a couple of our centre halves I could name . Everyone makes mistakes but I think Cooperwould improve our defence 

1 minute ago, noctonjock said:

I agree . I don't get it . Now is the time to play him he's scored twice on the bounce . 

It's always been the way though - the clubs say "bend over" and the SFA just take it up the fkin tailpipe.  Lucky we've got an absolute embarrassment of riches up front for this double header, embarrassment being the correct word.

1 hour ago, daviebee said:

It's always been the way though - the clubs say "bend over" and the SFA just take it up the fkin tailpipe.  Lucky we've got an absolute embarrassment of riches up front for this double header, embarrassment being the correct word.

Aye and should we be concerned that McBurnie is missing for Swansea today due to illness?!