Scottish Players in Action 18/19 - Page 104 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in Action 18/19

PASTA Mick

34 minutes ago, csinclair said:

Only playing because Matic is injured but good to see he’s playing well and Man Utd fans are starting to notice.

Good to see tonight he doesn’t looked phased coming up against some top midfielders.

He's definitely our most composed and fearless midfielder.

We saw McGregor and Christie soil their pants when they came up against Valencia.

2 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Being massively bigged up by Charlie Adam and Pat Nevin on the radio

He seems a lot more confident and mature under Solksjaer. He played with a bit of swagger tonight, just knocking PSG players off the ball. 

Just now, bigfingers said:

Can England still pick Mctominay?  Hope not. 

Nope, he's played in the Nations league for us.

18 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Can England still pick Mctominay?  Hope not. 

No. I don't think it would be an issue either way, as it's well documented that he chose us over England.

Despite what some United fans think McTominay is every bit as good as Declan Rice, and Rice is being spoken of as the second coming.

42 minutes ago, csinclair said:

Well that was a great performance by McTominay. No nonsence, just good tackles, simple passing and a ridiculous amount of running 

96% pass success rate and more tackles than any one else on the pitch.  3 wins and a draw in his 4 games since Matic got injured and as you say his self belief is improving rapidly.  Looking good.

He was excellent last night, as he was against Liverpool and Palace.

Wasn't too good against Southampton at the weekend but he is only young and slight dips in performance are to be expected from time to time.

He's certainly cemented his place as the back up to Matic. The next couple of years will be important for him, if he keeps improving then he will have a shot at being his permanent replacement.

That stat of 96% success rate for passing does not surprise me at all. I actually remember sitting watching that last night thinking the lad hadn't mis placed a pass all night, and a lot of them were good forward passes into lukaku and rashford, great performance. 

14 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

It helps that Solskjær is actually playing McTominay in his correct position as a defensive midfielder.

Remember how "The Special One" had him playing centre back and right back at times. :banghead:

I wouldn't say his correct position rather his best position.

Man Utd were not playing well at all when McTominay was played in defence and he was too young and inexperienced to change that. 

I would say after his recent performances there is little doubt he could play in central defence.

Defensive right back, don't see why not.

Perhaps Manu Utd saw him as a high enough standard to cover a variety of positions which is why he has a 5 year contract. Even if he is only third choice in each position no one can afford to spend £20 million on third choice players every were on the park, here they have one who can do all three for buttons.

Then again he might be a £50 million defensive midfielder, lets see what happens when Matic returns

4 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I wouldn't say his correct position rather his best position.

Man Utd were not playing well at all when McTominay was played in defence and he was too young and inexperienced to change that. 

I would say after his recent performances there is little doubt he could play in central defence.

Defensive right back, don't see why not.

Perhaps Manu Utd saw him as a high enough standard to cover a variety of positions which is why he has a 5 year contract. Even if he is only third choice in each position no one can afford to spend £20 million on third choice players every were on the park, here they have one who can do all three for buttons.

Then again he might be a £50 million defensive midfielder, lets see what happens when Matic returns

He's a defensive midfielder and a defensive midfielder only.

When played as a centre back or right back he clearly had no idea what the hell he was doing.

There is plenty of doubt about his ability to play central defence. 

On 3/7/2019 at 6:34 PM, ErsatzThistle said:

He's a defensive midfielder and a defensive midfielder only.

When played as a centre back or right back he clearly had no idea what the hell he was doing.

There is plenty of doubt about his ability to play central defence. 

So what parts of his game suggest he couldn't play as a centre half?

Scott McTominay has played all through the middle for the United youth teams so it's fair to say that he's accomplished in the middle of defence, midfield and attack. The only reason he looked like a fish out of water when he's played in defence is because Mourinho's Man United was a complete shambles.

On 3/6/2019 at 11:08 PM, PASTA Mick said:

McTominay is playing his way into the Scotland team. If the game was at the weekend, I'd start him with Armstrong and McGregor in the middle. 

If anyone has seen any championship football lately then without doubt Mulgrew shouldn’t be called up