Scottish Players in Action 18/19 - Page 103 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in Action 18/19

PASTA Mick

1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

It’s not his job to get forward. If he did that he would be dropped. 

It's not his job to sit at the edge of the 18 yard box either and pass the ball sideways and backwards all day, Kevin MacDonald can do that.

There has to be more creativity in what he does and even as a defensive midfield player he has to be able to play out side of his own teams bottom third of the pitch. Not suggesting he should be in the oppositions penalty box but at least closer to the half way line.

Nothing to do with any thing but I think he would make a cracking defensive right back.

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

He's good at the things fans of one of the biggest teams in the world would expect all their players to be good at, he's just not very good at the things that actually win games.

To play at the very highest level you have to be able to do a lot more than simply what your job description implies.(so don't bother saying that's what he is supposed to do) So far he has shown little ability to get forward or more importantly create chances with forward passes, he just defends the middle of the park. He has a long way to go to prove he is good enough for one of Europe's elite.

So basically what the fans are saying is he's not one of the best in Europe so he's not good enough for us.

If you don't have defensive minded players you lose games.

Really? I don't think I've ever seen Matic cross the halfway line or dribble past three players or ping the ball thirty yards straight to an attacker's foot. Look at Kante, at Leicester he was magnificent as an anchorman, but now Sarri expects him to attack more, he now seems lost. Same could be said of Pogba, as an attack midfielder he's sublime, but Mourinho asked him to be more of a box-to-box player, Pogba simply couldn't do it as he doesn't have defensive instincts.

You do realize that McTominay was considered a pretty good striker, don't you? Including a world class goal against Juventus. You don't come through the ranks at Man United if you're limited.

11 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

It's not his job to sit at the edge of the 18 yard box either and pass the ball sideways and backwards all day, Kevin MacDonald can do that.

There has to be more creativity in what he does and even as a defensive midfield player he has to be able to play out side of his own teams bottom third of the pitch. Not suggesting he should be in the oppositions penalty box but at least closer to the half way line.

Nothing to do with any thing but I think he would make a cracking defensive right back.

I saw McTominay play more forward passes in one half against Crystal Palace than I have seen Mcdonald play in a full season. 

1 minute ago, bazmidd said:

I saw McTominay play more forward passes in one half against Crystal Palace than I have seen Mcdonald play in a full season. 

Correct.

People talk about McGregor and Christie, etc, but those players always shrink when it comes to playing against top players/teams. Against Liverpool McTominay was playing in a heavily decimated team, and yet he was taking the ball in, striding forward and making decisive passes.

He looks like a leader from where I'm looking.

If anyone thinks that McTominay is just a player who passes side and back, well, they haven't seen him in action. I'd say that already our best midfielder and he's only 22. People should remember that he's only 22 and he's getting better.

Just now, bazmidd said:

Exactly the point I was making, that's what separates good defensive midfielders from average ones. Is it logical to assume that what separates a good one from a great one is their ability to contribute even more to forward movement. So far he hasn't shown enough.

I'm not saying he wont be a good player just explaining why United fans might not rate him as up to their standards.

Anyway he's ours and is good enough to be on the Man U bench as cover, which I very much doubt, in fact I know, no other Scottish player is other than Robertson.

49 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I think McRorie would be an excellent right back for us. It won’t happen unless he plays there for his club though.

8 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

I'm not big on the whole stats thing, but out of interest I had a wee look on Whoscored - McTominay had 8.66, only behind the 2 goal scorers in the ratings. Same old story, the guy who retains possession but lacks flair is always under appreciated by fans.

True but what's more important,  is he appreciated by the manager and his fellow players?I think he definitely is. Personally I have said I don't think mctominay will make it man utd due to the money they have to spend. They can easy go out and buy a top midfielder for 70m plus. Anyways it's good to see him put in good performances and we should definitely look to utilize him in the team and squad. He will definitely get more caps with us and it's nice that he chose us over England rather than not being good enough for England then choosing us.

Mctominay and McGinn would actually be a cracking midfield two in a 4231 for us. McGinn is a great ball winner but lacks McTominays compusure and awareness. They would compliment each other quite well though. McGregor is the other obvious contender but he plays well in any midfield position so could be pushed further forward 

2 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

He's a good player playing in a shite team. Surely another epl team will take a punt on him at the end of season. Should be in our squad for the qualifiers.

Yeah I've never been his biggest fan tbh but maybe I've never given him a chance and lumped him in the same boat as McDonald who I do not rate in the slightest.

Remains to be seen if Cairney is one of the perceived Anti-Mcleish squad or if he's holding out hope of an England call up having not played a competitive game for us.

8 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

No doubting in his ability, but do we really want to start 28 year olds on an international career? If so can we bring Liam cooper along..

You must have been extremely upset when Graham Alexander, Paul Hartley, Colin Hendry, Don Hutchison and David Weir all started their international careers then ? 

13 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

No doubting in his ability, but do we really want to start 28 year olds on an international career? If so can we bring Liam cooper along..

It's not that old is it? He could have 4 years in the team. If he's good enough then why not?

21 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

On another note I see the article today that Liam Palmer wants to be noticed by McLeish. Says he's always be proud to represent us and considers himself Scottish

Been in the form of his life of late. Certainly shouldn't be far outside the squad given our lack of options there.

Tonight should be a good watch and a decent test of him. United's overloading could cause chaos in Wednesday's normally tight defense.

Fleck and Bannan both fairly quiet.
Bannan too deep tho some decent long passes.
Fleck just on the wrong side of the pitch, with 98% of United's play coming thru Norwood on the right.
Palmer did well, especially considering he was at left back due to injuries. Don't think he really put a foot wrong.
Fletch was a handful. Was a bit of a worry when he spend several minutes down after it looked like he twisted his knee in a challenge. Seemed to be ok for the rest of the match tho, so hopefully it doesn't catch up with him later.

3 minutes ago, noctonjock said:

Mctominay starting for Man u again tonight against PSG . He seems to be getting a bit of a run in the team recently 

Only playing because Matic is injured but good to see he’s playing well and Man Utd fans are starting to notice.

Good to see tonight he doesn’t looked phased coming up against some top midfielders.