Scottish Players in Action 18/19 - Page 102 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in Action 18/19

PASTA Mick

8 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Is it because they're Scottish - or because they didn't cost anything?

Its not the latter because they were quite happy with Lingard and Rashford. I genuinely do think a lot of English football fans hold Scottish players in contempt.  There have been so few who have made any sort of impact at the big clubs, Andrew Robertson is very much the exception.  Once upon a time Man Utd had loads of Scots in he first team but there have been very few regulars since the 80s.

24 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Its not the latter because they were quite happy with Lingard and Rashford. I genuinely do think a lot of English football fans hold Scottish players in contempt.  There have been so few who have made any sort of impact at the big clubs, Andrew Robertson is very much the exception.  Once upon a time Man Utd had loads of Scots in he first team but there have been very few regulars since the 80s.

100% correct.

I was having this debate a couple days ago with someone in this place. Nationality does make a difference when it comes to transfer fees.

We all know how great Tierney is, if he were Italian or German or English and he were playing in a top league then an EPL club would splash out £25m+ at the drop of a hat. But because he's Scottish, playing in the SPL and being untested, an English team would never splash out £15m+ on a Scottish based Scot. Just look at Van Dijk and Andy Robertson, one goes for £13m and the other goes for £3. Now they're both at the same club and both are equally adored by the fans.

There's a complete contempt towards Scottish players/football from English football people. Most of it is justified, as Scottish football is a hot steaming mess from top to bottom. It's not completely justified, though, as the SPL is good at turning decent players into good ones and the SPL is about the same standards as the English Championship.

22 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Is it because they're Scottish - or because they didn't cost anything?

I think its more to do with them not being 'flashy' and/or playing in an unfashionable position...the defensive central midfield position is one that goes unnoticed by most followers of fitba', until someone else highlights it for them, or the player is unavailable for a period of time. Then they realise their worth 

13 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Lingard has got plenty of stick from United fans, even now he's still not embraced the way that other players are or have been. Lingard has scored at least 3 or 4 major goals in cup finals and cup semi finals but for some reason he was still getting panned and was considered not good enough.

If McTominay keeps playing the way he has in the past 2 games then it won't be long before he's considered as a viable long term option for that team.

Looks very very comfortable to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV6TAqaTjE4

Very calm on the ball, retention is good, physical but fair, draws a lot of fouls, keeps his head with Batshuayi and Zaha at him, and zips some nice low balls thru to the forwards (the kind of thing Fletch would work well off).

If we have lost Christie then I'd be perfectly happy to see him in along side McGregor and Armstrong moved forward.

11 minutes ago, andyD said:

Very calm on the ball, retention is good, physical but fair, draws a lot of fouls, keeps his head with Batshuayi and Zaha at him, and zips some nice low balls thru to the forwards (the kind of thing Fletch would work well off).

Correct.

Ball retention wise he's the best in our squad. He rarely gives it away.

His attitude is also something that I like and also something he shares with Fletch. He's humble, down to earth and he'll willing to learn and listen. 

And as for Redcafe, so many of the people there are knee-jerk. For a year or so they've been saying that he's a championship player with no future at United, now after 2 good games he's Carrickesque. Bloody hell.

They still have an English flag next to his picture, that tells you all you have to know about that place.

Edited by Chripper

20 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Mcburnie goal. Good option to have if we need a goal. 

Yup. It's getting hard to ignore his stats. He'll be thinking he's made a case for starting, and he may be right! 

Good to see Snoddy starting again this evening. 

4 hours ago, mrniaboc said:

McTominay starts again. Armstrong and Paterson both on the bench again for relegation battlers these days...

More positive comments: Edit: Teaches me for only reading first 3-4 comments, most on there are slagging him off....🙄

http://www.redcafe.net/threads/mctominay-so-rare-for-a-youngster-to-come-through-an-academy-and-straight-into-the-pl-as-ready-made.445456/

I saw something a while ago on here that bemused me and made me double read to check if that had actually been written....are there really parts of the Tartan Army that think he's some sort of attacking midfielder?!

Edited by Tartan Chris

12 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

More positive comments: Edit: Teaches me for only reading first 3-4 comments, most on there are slagging him off....🙄

http://www.redcafe.net/threads/mctominay-so-rare-for-a-youngster-to-come-through-an-academy-and-straight-into-the-pl-as-ready-made.445456/

I saw something a while ago on here that bemused me and made me double read to check if that had actually been written....are there really parts of the Tartan Army that think he's some sort of attacking midfielder?!

Chripper says he can play the Archie Gemmill role 

2 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

I don't understand when they say (a lot of them have said it) "I don't know what he's good at".

Do they not realize that in football ball retention if one of the most important thing? I think I've only seen McTominay lose the ball a couple of times since he broke through, which is amazing.

21 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Could well be capped by England before he becomes Sottish

If he continues like yesterday, England will cap him next month to secure him. 

On another note I see the article today that Liam Palmer wants to be noticed by McLeish. Says he's always be proud to represent us and considers himself Scottish

15 hours ago, Chripper said:

I don't understand when they say (a lot of them have said it) "I don't know what he's good at".

Do they not realize that in football ball retention if one of the most important thing? I think I've only seen McTominay lose the ball a couple of times since he broke through, which is amazing.

He's good at the things fans of one of the biggest teams in the world would expect all their players to be good at, he's just not very good at the things that actually win games.

To play at the very highest level you have to be able to do a lot more than simply what your job description implies.(so don't bother saying that's what he is supposed to do) So far he has shown little ability to get forward or more importantly create chances with forward passes, he just defends the middle of the park. He has a long way to go to prove he is good enough for one of Europe's elite.

So basically what the fans are saying is he's not one of the best in Europe so he's not good enough for us.

21 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

He's good at the things fans of one of the biggest teams in the world would expect all their players to be good at, he's just not very good at the things that actually win games.

To play at the very highest level you have to be able to do a lot more than simply what your job description implies.(so don't bother saying that's what he is supposed to do) So far he has shown little ability to get forward or more importantly create chances with forward passes, he just defends the middle of the park. He has a long way to go to prove he is good enough for one of Europe's elite.

So basically what the fans are saying is he's not one of the best in Europe so he's not good enough for us.

It’s not his job to get forward. If he did that he would be dropped.