Scottish Players in Action 18/19 - Page 100 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in Action 18/19

PASTA Mick

6 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Think to many people wanted instant results with the peomance schools, when the SFA always said it would be 2019ish before we started seeing some results (think first players only started filtering through in 2016) and certinly been more and more players in youth squads in last year or two, so give it another year or two.

Recent performances by the under 19's and the Rangers kids suggest it is getting somewhere........................hopefully

32 minutes ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

The talk of courting Che Adams, and being knocked back again...depresses me and irritates me in equal measure. The likes of McTominay and Burke clearly want to represent us, this fella doesn't. Don't ask the English fucker again please.

Think Eck is just being a bit (maybe to brutally) honest that we can not simply walk away from any player who is available to play for us.

Just a case now on how much he takes “no” as a final answer.... it did get embarrassing with Levein using the build up to almost every squad he named to tap up Shelvay and Carroll (saying that, there was a period last time around where Eck would not drop it with regards to Agbonlahor!)

Eck has name dropped a number of players who he would like to switch over the last year, and then dropped it.

I suspect Adams was nothing more than a name drop to show that he is constantly looking at ways to improve/add to the team, rather than stick to a settled team.

Edited by wanderer

It's a shame that Adams doesn't want to play for us as he will probably not get a game for England unless he gets a move to the epl and starts scoring there, even then they might have better options to pick from. We should stick with guys who want to play for Scotland like mcburnie and Burke. Also it would be good if Griffith's could get himself back to playing as he is a good striker. I wonder if Adams will change his mind in a couple of years time if he isn't getting a sniff with England. Would we accept him if he was scoring goals in the epl knowing he really wanted to represent England.

3 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

It's a shame that Adams doesn't want to play for us as he will probably not get a game for England unless he gets a move to the epl and starts scoring there, even then they might have better options to pick from. We should stick with guys who want to play for Scotland like mcburnie and Burke. Also it would be good if Griffith's could get himself back to playing as he is a good striker. I wonder if Adams will change his mind in a couple of years time if he isn't getting a sniff with England. Would we accept him if he was scoring goals in the epl knowing he really wanted to represent England.

No

18 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

From a fans point of view, no....

but ultimately it’s the managers decision at the end of the day (and in today’s Sun he is saying the door will always be open)

hopefully by the time the player does change his mind it’s rather pointless as we have the likes of Burke, McBurnie, Middleton and Honrby making up our forward line.  

1 hour ago, wanderer said:

From a fans point of view, no....

but ultimately it’s the managers decision at the end of the day (and in today’s Sun he is saying the door will always be open)

hopefully by the time the player does change his mind it’s rather pointless as we have the likes of Burke, McBurnie, Middleton and Honrby making up our forward line.  

Thing is we have had a good few players represent us that clearly would of preferred England as their first choice but simply were not good enough. Is Che Adams any different to James Morrison or Matt Ritchie.

4 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Thing is we have had a good few players represent us that clearly would of preferred England as their first choice but simply were not good enough. Is Che Adams any different to James Morrison or Matt Ritchie.

Yes and no... those two players did not need to be asked twice (Morrison did not help himself with a comment about waiting long enough for a England call up.... but he at least knuckled down and gave us good service).

Unless Che approaches us, that would be getting him at 3rd/4th time of asking..... thats the real difference.

Plus, Morrison and Ritchie were hardly keeping anyone out of the team, now we have some real talent coming through, we should be relaxing who we look at for switching.

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

After an admittedly awkward beginning, James Morrison grew to really appreciate playing for Scotland I think.

He certainly turned up for games plenty of times when others called off. No world beater of course but there was always plenty of effort from him, he did not hide. He's always spoken of how much he enjoyed playing for us and he was clearly fucking buzzing along with the rest of us when he scored against England.

Morrison's a good egg :ok:

9 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Well hopefully if he changed his mind we'd then tell him to fck right off. He shouldn't be within a light year of a Scotland jersey. Utterly embarrassing that McLeish is even talking about the guy.

It’s international football, you need to draw a line at some point before it becomes embarrassing and no longer about representing your country. Maybe we’ve already lost that. 

Adams is English. He’s told us at least twice he’s English. We appear to have the potential to create a club like atmosphere, calling up mercenaries like we’ve done in the past is unlikely to make us much better. 

12 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

After an admittedly awkward beginning, James Morrison grew to really appreciate playing for Scotland I think.

He certainly turned up for games plenty of times when others called off. No world beater of course but there was always plenty of effort from him, he did not hide. He's always spoken of how much he enjoyed playing for us and he was clearly fucking buzzing along with the rest of us when he scored against England.

Morrison's a good egg :ok:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/james-morrison-backs-matt-phillips-13550505

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Well he's started 3 games for Norwich this season so I doubt if he is on the pecking order at all.

Been injured most of the season I think, now fit and involved in their 18 regularly (missed a penalty last week).

John Fleck had a really good game for Sheffield United tonight.

27 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

McTominay, Robertson and Armstrong starting in the Premier league today. Plus a few Scots playing yesterday as well.

I can't recall any time in the past 15ish years that we had so many Scots playing regularly in the top division in England. Definitely a good omen for the future.

I think that's 7 yesterday/today (including Bardsley and Ritchie) and I think there are 11 in total. I think that's about the same as last season. It's ok but I think this will increase next year along with Scots in at least one other major European top division.

Although Fulham/Southampton/palace/cardiff getting relegated would make that harder the clubs at the top of the Championship have a few Scots who could feature if they aren't sold.

Edited by SkyBlueScot

Any one starting to think that Armstrong isn't good enough for the Premiership?

Nice to see Mctominay get 90 minutes and don't think he did anything to harm his long term chances at Man U.

Bain in goals for Celtic again and looks like he has the keepers spot there. He's the right age to have a keeper coming through at, did any one keep track of how he did in the cup competitions last year?

Any one convinced that McGregor is the answer for much longer is living in cloud cuckoo land.