Scottish Players in Action 18/19 - Page 97 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in Action 18/19

PASTA Mick

31 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

They won 1-0 and he played the full 90 minutes. I'd like to see the stat of how many they've won when he was playing.

The Hamburg defence looked pretty poor. A mistake by Bates early on, plus he got done for speed during a couple of counter attacks by Dresden. The goal for Hamburg was brought about by a massive error by the young keeper in the Dresden goal.

3 hours ago, SkyBlueScot said:

They won 1-0 and he played the full 90 minutes. I'd like to see the stat of how many they've won when he was playing.

In the league this year Hamburg have won 9 of the 14 matches with Bates starting. 3 of the 5 matches they did not win were scoreless draws. They have won 4 from 7 games without him starting. So on paper they are slightly better when he starts.

On 2/11/2019 at 10:47 PM, ceudmilefailte said:

Interesting stats for Bates tonight, he never made a tackle or won the ball in the air according to who scored .com 

Paolo Maldini used to say if he had to make a tackle he’d already made a mistake 👍🏼

3 hours ago, McTeeko said:

Paolo Maldini used to say if he had to make a tackle he’d already made a mistake 👍🏼

And if you can keep a clean sheet without making a tackle, and still be picked every week (as Bates is) then you're doing something right.

Watched Wednesday vs Millwall

Liam Palmer had a decent game for Sheffield Wednesday on Tuesday. 6 clean sheets in his last 9 league games, and has looked better going forward. Wasn't embarrassed against Chelsea either, even tho he had Willian to deal with. Got to be on the fringe of the squad now.

Fletch had a wasteful day. Some decent link up play, but missed some chances he should really be putting away.

Bannan got put out on the left, and was rubbish (as were Wednesday). He was then moved in field and made the team tick, some lovely thru balls that deserved goals. Steve Bruce said afterwards he's learnt how important Bannan is centrally and wont be using him wide again.

Jordan Archer was ok for the most part. But late on had an absolute howler that should have cost Millwall the game. A goal kick that he completely miss-hit. It bounced before it reached his own defenders and Wednesday should really have done better, Fletch being greedy and refusing to lay it off when 2v1 against a defender. At the point where Archer really shouldn't be anywhere near the squad imo. He looks a decent keeper most of the time, but always seems to have a bizarre moment of madness in him.

Edited by andyD

Just thought I'd note.. Ethan Hamilton's gone out on loan from Man Utd for his first taste of senior football.
Joined Rochdale, who are battling relegation in League One.

Played 90 minutes in all of the 5 games he's been there for so far, and bagged a couple of goals, which is good.
Also racked up 4 bookings in 5 games, so he might be a little bit over excited. But will keep an eye on his progress.

Gerrard has said Dapo Mebude may make an appearance from the bench for Rangers this weekend. He's called him back from Scotland U19 duty because of Morelos' suspension and injuries to Defoe & Lafferty.

Would be good to see the lad get more first teams chances in the same way Johnston is at Celtic

Half the Scotland team played last night and no one think's it's worth a comment.

Lets stick to clean sheet for Bates, goal for McBurnie assist for Fraser and any other good news going.

Seeing as Burke is being seen as the great white hope, lets make excuses for him.

Lets ignore the fact that the only Scotsman who didn't look out of place last night has retired.

Lets ignore the fact that all Forrest, Christie and McGregor have really done is looked good against 2nd rate domestic clubs and third rate international countries.

Let's be Scottish and continue to live in fantasy land.

Did Jock Stein once play a team of Anglo's?

26 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Half the Scotland team played last night and no one think's it's worth a comment.

Lets stick to clean sheet for Bates, goal for McBurnie assist for Fraser and any other good news going.

Seeing as Burke is being seen as the great white hope, lets make excuses for him.

Lets ignore the fact that the only Scotsman who didn't look out of place last night has retired.

Lets ignore the fact that all Forrest, Christie and McGregor have really done is looked good against 2nd rate domestic clubs and third rate international countries.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47247691

Scott Brown 2.92/10 - worst rated Celtic player.

4 hours ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Always wonder why McGinn gets such a rough ride whilst Brown gets away with giving the ball away without much comment.

I've always loved Brown's commitment but never really rated him as a footballer. Too many games he's chased shadows and gone flying into challenges he'll never win and everyone praising him for it.

9 hours ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Always wonder why McGinn gets such a rough ride whilst Brown gets away with giving the ball away without much comment.

Brown had a 90% pass success rate on Thursday best of the Scottish players (McGinn's latest game he had 71% )

9 hours ago, SkyBlueScot said:

My rating system of choice had him as best Celtic player with 6.7

5 hours ago, csinclair said:

I've always loved Brown's commitment but never really rated him as a footballer. Too many games he's chased shadows and gone flying into challenges he'll never win and everyone praising him for it.

He Completed 5 tackles on Thursday which was more than any one else on the park.

Any way post wasn't meant to be about Brown rather the failures of others.

12 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Before making it an all Scottish player bashing you are over-looking the non-Scottish players in the side who failed to impress who are fully-fledged internationals such as Boyata, Weah and Izaguirre. You are also forgetting that the likes of Forrest, Christie and McGregor all played their parts in getting Celtic through to where they are in the Europa League as in the knock-out stages where they have had to get results against more than decent European sides. Still go ahead and bash as I am sure you will. As for Burke not everyone sees him as the great white hope. I know I don't. But at least he is at a club now where he is being given a chance so at least that is a positive.

4 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Brown had a 90% pass success rate on Thursday best of the Scottish players (McGinn's latest game he had 71% )

My rating system of choice had him as best Celtic player with 6.7

He Completed 5 tackles on Thursday which was more than any one else on the park.

Any way post wasn't meant to be about Brown rather the failures of others.

Stop looking at ratings systems and watch the game, Brown was woeful absolutely terrible. His pass completion was probably so high as after successful screwing a couple of long passes out the park and underhitting one back to the keeper he stuck to 5 yard square passes for the rest of the game. Btw McGregor wasn't much better but at least for him this was a one off and he still tried to make things happen. 

1 hour ago, PASTA Mick said:

McGinn was the best player for a very poor Aston Villa today. Hutton would still do a job for us.

Morrison and Phillips weren't even on the bench. 

Think Phillips is injured. Went on a WBA fans forum the other say to see what they are saying about Burke and it was notable how highly they regard Phillips. I think it's a pity he's not appreciated enough for Scotland. 

My order of preference for strikers when fit:

1 Griffiths

2 Naismith

3 Phillips

4 Fletcher

5 McBurnie

6 Russell

7 Burke (this is very fluid!)

1 hour ago, PASTA Mick said:

McGinn was the best player for a very poor Aston Villa today. Hutton would still do a job for us.

Morrison and Phillips weren't even on the bench. 

Don't think Morrison will be near the squad again and Phillips is still out injured, Plays pretty much every game when fit.

Stats agree with you on the Villa players'

90% pass success rate for McGinn, He's as good as Scott Brown now.

6 hours ago, bazmidd said:

Stop looking at ratings systems and watch the game, Brown was woeful absolutely terrible. His pass completion was probably so high as after successful screwing a couple of long passes out the park and underhitting one back to the keeper he stuck to 5 yard square passes for the rest of the game. Btw McGregor wasn't much better but at least for him this was a one off and he still tried to make things happen. 

Went to the stats site after watching the game to see if I could find anything positive out of a very bad performance. Celtic were a massive letdown and created a massive hole in the optimism I have felt since the last two nations league games.

9 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Before making it an all Scottish player bashing you are over-looking the non-Scottish players in the side who failed to impress who are fully-fledged internationals such as Boyata, Weah and Izaguirre. You are also forgetting that the likes of Forrest, Christie and McGregor all played their parts in getting Celtic through to where they are in the Europa League as in the knock-out stages where they have had to get results against more than decent European sides. Still go ahead and bash as I am sure you will. As for Burke not everyone sees him as the great white hope. I know I don't. But at least he is at a club now where he is being given a chance so at least that is a positive.

9 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

It wasn't just the Scottish players that were poor but it is them that I am interested in.

Decided to be more positive and say that if Tierney and Simunovic had played we would have seen a lot more from the midfield and attacking players.

It was also good to see Bain in goal no disrespect to Gordon intended , but to see probably our best under 30 goalie playing in top level games can only be good

4 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Don't think Morrison will be near the squad again and Phillips is still out injured, Plays pretty much every game when fit.

Stats agree with you on the Villa players'

90% pass success rate for McGinn, He's as good as Scott Brown now.

Went to the stats site after watching the game to see if I could find anything positive out of a very bad performance. Celtic were a massive letdown and created a massive hole in the optimism I have felt since the last two nations league games.

It wasn't just the Scottish players that were poor but it is them that I am interested in.

Decided to be more positive and say that if Tierney and Simunovic had played we would have seen a lot more from the midfield and attacking players.

It was also good to see Bain in goal no disrespect to Gordon intended , but to see probably our best under 30 goalie playing in top level games can only be good

Teams do have off nights you know. Even the pundits felt the whole thing was flat. The atmosphere and the team performance - it happens. Seems too much like you are trying to read everything into this game and disregard previous matches in European run that Celtic's Scotland players have done very well.