Scottish Players in Action 18/19 - Page 95 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in Action 18/19

PASTA Mick

22 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Good question.I think it all depends on the formation we're going to use.

It's either a 3-5-2 or a 3-4-2. Personally I'd play a 3-5-2 with the Fletcher being up front and Fraser and Forrest having free-roles. And with Andy Robertson as the anchorman. I'm not going to go into why I think Robertson would make a brilliant anchorman, as I've explained it dozens of times, suffice to say, he has all the assets to excel in that role.

Agree with everything you said apart from putting a player who is part of one of the best defences in the whole of Europe and regarded as one of the best players in his position in the world into the role of anchorman. You need your head checked mate!

3 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Agree with everything you said apart from putting a player who is part of one of the best defences in the whole of Europe and regarded as one of the best players in his position in the world into the role of anchorman. You need your head checked mate!

I'd agree, if we didn't have a certain Tierney.

1 minute ago, bigfingers said:

Robbo is our first choice left back end of. Play Tierney right back.

Tierney isn't affective at right back, because he's left footed he always has to stop and get the ball on his left.

And keep in mind, Tierney does have the potential to be a better left back than Robertson, so playing Tierney at right back isn't an idea that I would have. We've seen the transition of David Alaba and Joshua Kimmich being swapped from full back positions to anchorman positions, I think Robertson could easily do the same.

2 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Tierney isn't affective at right back, because he's left footed he always has to stop and get the ball on his left.

And keep in mind, Tierney does have the potential to be a better left back than Robertson, so playing Tierney at right back isn't an idea that I would have. We've seen the transition of David Alaba and Joshua Kimmich being swapped from full back positions to anchorman positions, I think Robertson could easily do the same.

okay so who would you have at right back?

11 minutes ago, Chripper said:

As I said, Phillips has played in that position for a chunk of the season, so he's used to it.

People forget that Craig Burley (Midfielder) played right wing-back at France 98 and was excellent.

Professional players can play in a multitude of positions. 

Yeah but it generally doesn't happen unless there are injuries.

15 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Yeah but it generally doesn't happen unless there are injuries.

You'd actually be surprised by how many professional players end up playing in an entirely different position to the one that they played at youth level. At a higher level you go the more versatile a player will be. Look at McTominay. He played as a striker at youth level for United, he's played in defense and also in the middle of midfield. Ethan Hamilton played on the left wing for United, now he's a central midfielder.

And look at Holland. Young players in Holland aren't assigned a position, they play them all over the park, which is why Dutch players have always been so versatile. They also do it in Belgium. In Scotland we seem obsessed with positions, instead we should look at things with an open mind. We restrict ourselves by saying that players can only play in one position.

Look at Kimmich, in the last Euro Championships. At left back he looked like a winger, tearing left backs apart in every match. Now he's an anchorman. 

The point is, we must try something new, as keep doing what we're doing just is not working.

Edited by Chripper

1 hour ago, Chripper said:

You'd actually be surprised by how many professional players end up playing in an entirely different position to the one that they played at youth level. At a higher level you go the more versatile a player will be. Look at McTominay. He played as a striker at youth level for United, he's played in defense and also in the middle of midfield. Ethan Hamilton played on the left wing for United, now he's a central midfielder.

And look at Holland. Young players in Holland aren't assigned a position, they play them all over the park, which is why Dutch players have always been so versatile. They also do it in Belgium. In Scotland we seem obsessed with positions, instead we should look at things with an open mind. We restrict ourselves by saying that players can only play in one position.

Look at Kimmich, in the last Euro Championships. At left back he looked like a winger, tearing left backs apart in every match. Now he's an anchorman. 

The point is, we must try something new, as keep doing what we're doing just is not working.

Not working?

For the first time in about 10 years we’re slightly above pish which is a step in the right direction 

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 7:00 PM, Chripper said:

Another impressive performance at the weekend.

2 Goals and a run from right back straight into the heart of the opposition defence which almost resulted in an assist.

Jake Hastie is definitely one to look out for. Just 19 and a winger. Looks strong and quick.

Scored again.

10 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

A beautiful goal B)

Hastie certainly has a wee something about him. Surely he's got to be in the next Under 21 squad ?

Haven't seen the goal yet.

I think that's 4 in 5.

I bet no one is mocking me for championing this lad now. ;)

He's a cert for the under 21s. He's definitely got a swagger about him, along with power, pace and a knack of scoring. As I said a couple weeks ago, he's one to watch.

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

A beautiful goal B)

Hastie certainly has a wee something about him. Surely he's got to be in the next Under 21 squad ?

Hopefully he'll turn out to be the real deal but we'd maybe best wait a while before getting too excited. Remember Ross Forbes looking like a world-beater when he first came into the Motherwell team?  Now at Dumbarton.

15 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

A beautiful goal B)

Cracking finish, but I liked his second goal against Livi more tbh. Pace, strength, sold the defender and finished calmly.
A great start, but only a handful of premier league starts to his name. Keep an eye for sure.