Scottish Players in Action 18/19 - Page 94 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in Action 18/19

PASTA Mick

3 hours ago, Scotland Ever More said:

I'd be surprised if he doesn't start up front on Wednesday, especially with Edouard out injured. If Weah starts then it will probably be on the right in the absence of Forrest, not through the middle.

Fingers crossed that I'm wrong and he has a good game.

17 hours ago, Scotland Ever More said:

I'd be surprised if he doesn't start up front on Wednesday, especially with Edouard out injured. If Weah starts then it will probably be on the right in the absence of Forrest, not through the middle.

I was thinking with Edouard and Forrest injured, we'd see Burke on the right and Weah through the middle. 

Weah was good when he came on against St J but Burke was pretty good too before that.

Also, I know he's basically my man crush but Snoddy was great last night. Sprinting all over the pitch for the full 90. Hassling people and linking up the play as their number 10. 

I really hope he's in the next squad. What a lad to have as an option. I don't care that he's a little older. He's not showing it in the EPL. 

37 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

Also, I know he's basically my man crush but Snoddy was great last night. Sprinting all over the pitch for the full 90. Hassling people and linking up the play as their number 10. 

I really hope he's in the next squad. What a lad to have as an option. I don't care that he's a little older. He's not showing it in the EPL. 

An on form Snoddy is not to be sniffed at. I’d only play him centrally. He can scrap it out with Christie and Armstrong, and yes, probably better as an impact sub. 

2 hours ago, mrniaboc said:

If the rumours of a big bust up with McLeish in Israel are true then I can't see him playing for Scotland again under McLeish

6 hours ago, mrniaboc said:

Who are you leaving out then ? 

Stuart Armstrong, Ryan Christie, Callum McGregor or John McGinn ?

Then there's the devotees of Barry Bannan wanting that him brought back. :banghead:

55 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Who are you leaving out then ? 

Stuart Armstrong, Ryan Christie, Callum McGregor or John McGinn ?

Then there's the devotees of Barry Bannan wanting that him brought back. :banghead:

To be clear I wasn't saying start him. I think the starting lineup should be influenced by current form at the time of the matches as well as what has worked recently, but I reckon we should have at least a couple of substitute midfielders in the squad right? 

6 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

To be clear I wasn't saying start him. I think the starting lineup should be influenced by current form at the time of the matches as well as what has worked recently, but I reckon we should have at least a couple of substitute midfielders in the squad right? 

Let’s have an 11 man squad. 

22 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

I'd rather stick with Shinnie, Fleck & McTominay as our substitute midfielders but would prefer Snodgrass to calling up dross like Ryan Jack and Kevin McDonald.

13 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I'd rather stick with Shinnie, Fleck & McTominay as our substitute midfielders but would prefer Snodgrass to calling up dross like Ryan Jack and Kevin McDonald.

as much as it pains me to say this but the lying rat Jack is playing arguably the best football of his life, had he been doing so for any other side sitting 2nd in the league we'd want him called up as back up if required. 

Agree on Kevin McDonald

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

as much as it pains me to say this but the lying rat Jack is playing arguably the best football of his life, had he been doing so for any other side sitting 2nd in the league we'd want him called up as back up if required. 

Agree on Kevin McDonald

Jack is good. Lying rat 😂

McDonald is gash

Snodgrass is better than McDonald and Jack combined. 

Also, McLeish and his coaches should keep an eye on Ethan Hamilton. 2 goals in 4 matches for Rochdale (I know, it's only League One). Having seen him a lot for United's under 23's I'd definitely be thinking about fast tracking him into the full squad, ala Darren Fletcher.

He can tackle (Although, he goes to ground too much for my liking), he's strong, he's got good range of passing, he's skillful and he can score. In my opinion he's better than Scott McTominay. He reminds me of a Nottingham Forest Roy Keane. 

Not sure how you can compare Snodgrass to holding midfielders Jack,Macdonald, Mcginn and Mctominay when hes never played as a holding midfielder in this entire career. Snodgrass would likely be challenging Christie, Fraser,Forrest and Burke for a starting place.

Edited by bigfingers

29 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Not sure how you can compare Snodgrass to holding midfielders Jack,Macdonald, Mcginn and Mctominay when hes never played as a holding midfielder in this entire career. Snodgrass would likely be challenging Christie, Fraser,Forrest and Burke for a starting place.

I assume that you're talking to me.

In terms of technical ability, Snodgrass is better than most of our midfielders, so yes, I'd trust him in an anchrorman role.

Did you just say that McGinn is an anchorman? The modus operendi of an anchorman is to maintain possession, John McGinn has a tendency to give the ball away. There is no way I'd trust McGinn in an anchorman position. I'd trust Jack, McTominay, but not McGinn.

1 hour ago, Chripper said:

I assume that you're talking to me.

In terms of technical ability, Snodgrass is better than most of our midfielders, so yes, I'd trust him in an anchrorman role.

Did you just say that McGinn is an anchorman? The modus operendi of an anchorman is to maintain possession, John McGinn has a tendency to give the ball away. There is no way I'd trust McGinn in an anchorman position. I'd trust Jack, McTominay, but not McGinn.

Snoddy will never play the anchorman role because he is not a holding midfielder. Nice WUM mate!

1 minute ago, bigfingers said:

Snoddy will never play the anchorman role because he is not a holding midfielder. Nice WUM mate!

What on earth are you talking about? Yeah. I'm sorry, but I don't have time to "wind up". Whatever I say is 100% the truth.. according to me.

When did I say that I play Snodgrass in the anchorman position? I said that I'd trust him playing in that position more than I would John McGinn and McDonald.

And yes, if push came to shove I would play Snodgrass as an anchorman. He has the intelligence and the skill-set to play there.

Pirlo began his career as an attacking midfielder and was moved to the anchorman role.

What is it with people here and their insistence that players can only play in the one position? 

3 minutes ago, Chripper said:

What on earth are you talking about? Yeah. I'm sorry, but I don't have time to "wind up". Whatever I say is 100% the truth.. according to me.

When did I say that I play Snodgrass in the anchorman position? I said that I'd trust him playing in that position more than I would John McGinn and McDonald.

And yes, if push came to shove I would play Snodgrass as an anchorman. He has the intelligence and the skill-set to play there.

Pirlo began his career as an attacking midfielder and was moved to the anchorman role.

What is it with people here and their insistence that players can only play in the one position? 

If Snoddy has never played anchorman at any point of his career then he aint gonna play that role for Scotland so pointless even bringing it up. Positionally it is totally different to where he plays in terms of how he receives the ball and the passes he plays.

Next your going to tell me Robbo can play there too because he's our best player??

If Snoddy has never played anchorman at any point of his career then he aint gonna play that role for Scotland so pointless even bringing it up. Positionally it is totally different to where he plays in terms of how he receives the ball and the passes he plays.

Next your going to tell me Robbo can play there too because he's our best player??

Do I have to repeat myself again? I'll do it till nauseum until you get it: I'd trust him playing in that position more than I would John McGinn and McDonald. Why? McGinn has a maddening propensity of giving the ball away and McDonald is a big lump. Snodgrass is the most technically gifted player in our pool of players. And that being said, I'd definitely trust him in that role.

When Robertson was at Hull they likened him to a young Gareth Bale (Left back, Left wingers and attacking midfielder). They thought that he would've turned into a left winger. So yes, Robertson could probably play in any outfield position. The better the player the more intelligence they have and therefore the more adaptability they have.

Look at James Milner, he's intelligent enough to play in several positions and excel at them. 

2 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Do I have to repeat myself again? I'll do it till nauseum until you get it: I'd trust him playing in that position more than I would John McGinn and McDonald. Why? McGinn has a maddening propensity of giving the ball away and McDonald is a big lump. Snodgrass is the most technically gifted player in our pool of players. And that being said, I'd definitely trust him in that role.

When Robertson was at Hull they likened him to a young Gareth Bale (Left back, Left wingers and attacking midfielder). They thought that he would've turned into a left winger. So yes, Robertson could probably play in any outfield position. The better the player the more intelligence they have and therefore the more adaptability they have.

Look at James Milner, he's intelligent enough to play in several positions and excel at them. 

Okay mate ill look forward to seeing snoddy in the holding midfield role in the upcoming qualifiers!

Thank GOD your not the Scotland manager.

2 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Okay mate ill look forward to seeing snoddy in the holding midfield role in the upcoming qualifiers!

Thank GOD your not the Scotland manager.

Oh. My. God. I said I'd trust Snodgrass more than I would trust McGinn or McDonald in the anchorman position. Did I say that I would play Snodgrass in the anchorman position? Not really. I'd actually play Robertson as anchorman. Oh wait... "he's not a holding midfielder/he's never played that position in his life"... which is what I'm expecting. 

I actually don't think we have a good anchorman in our squad. Hopefully McCrorie gets games under his belt and improves. McTominay is decent, but he needs game time.

Really? Don't you want us to qualify?

4 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Oh. My. God. I said I'd trust Snodgrass more than I would trust McGinn or McDonald in the anchorman position. Did I say that I would play Snodgrass in the anchorman position? Not really. I'd actually play Robertson as anchorman. Oh wait... "he's not a holding midfielder/he's never played that position in his life"... which is what I'm expecting. 

I actually don't think we have a good anchorman in our squad. Hopefully McCrorie gets games under his belt and improves. McTominay is decent, but he needs game time.

Really? Don't you want us to qualify?

The question is do we even need an anchorman??....

Mcgregor and Armstrong have looked more than capable in the previous matches.

The question is do we even need an anchorman??....

Mcgregor and Armstrong have looked more than capable in the previous matches.

Good question.I think it all depends on the formation we're going to use.

It's either a 3-5-2 or a 3-4-2. Personally I'd play a 3-5-2 with the Fletcher being up front and Fraser and Forrest having free-roles. And with Andy Robertson as the anchorman. I'm not going to go into why I think Robertson would make a brilliant anchorman, as I've explained it dozens of times, suffice to say, he has all the assets to excel in that role.