Scottish Players in Action 18/19 - Page 91 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in Action 18/19

PASTA Mick

19 minutes ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

If anyone is still serious about Gauld getting a Scotland cap, then Richard Tait will need to tag along too, as wee Gauldy will no doubt still be in Taits back pocket

Give him 3 weeks. That said, he’s got a lot to do to displace our current midfield. It would need a change of formation. 

23 minutes ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

If anyone is still serious about Gauld getting a Scotland cap, then Richard Tait will need to tag along too, as wee Gauldy will no doubt still be in Taits back pocket

Harsh, but fair. I think it'll take about 5 or 6 full matches for Gauld to find his feet.

Talking of Motherwell, the young lad Hastie looks decent.

Just now, ONeils4oyarder said:

Early days for the boy, but he was excellent last night

He was. In once occasion he picked up the ball on the half-way line and skinned a couple of players before creating a chance. I think it may have been for the goal, but I can't remember. Eventful day for him, an assist and I think his nose got broken.

Definitely likes to run at people.

Burke looked really good last night. He didn't always see much of the ball but when he did he used it well and created a couple of chance for his team mates as well as scoring a couple of goals. I still reckon his best position will be as a winger where he can pick the ball up deep and run at players but he did a pretty good job as a striker last night as well. I wonder if there is much chance of Celtic signing him permanently as he will certainly get games and his development will be better there. If wba go up to the EPL then maybe they will be more likely to take a hit on the 15m that was paid as they will have plenty of TV money etc. If they stay in the championship then I think they will expect him back next season to help push for promotion again.

46 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Burke looked really good last night. He didn't always see much of the ball but when he did he used it well and created a couple of chance for his team mates as well as scoring a couple of goals. I still reckon his best position will be as a winger where he can pick the ball up deep and run at players but he did a pretty good job as a striker last night as well. I wonder if there is much chance of Celtic signing him permanently as he will certainly get games and his development will be better there. If wba go up to the EPL then maybe they will be more likely to take a hit on the 15m that was paid as they will have plenty of TV money etc. If they stay in the championship then I think they will expect him back next season to help push for promotion again.

I wondered if Burke continues to impress at Parkhead, maybe Celtic might be up for offering someone else to WBA in exchange (was going to say Boyata but he's out of contract in summer I think)? I don't think Celtic would splash out £10+ million for him (unless he's sensational and gets them to the Europa final!) but I could see some kind of makeweight deal being done. 
Hope he doesn't end up back at WBA to be honest, could see him being sidelined again.

Thought Gauld had some really good moments against Motherwell. Putting Horgan thru was a lovely ball and that should have been a goal all day long. Otherwise, Hibs were all round poor. But I've seen enough against Elgin and Well to see that Gauld's ability's no gone anywhere. Might take him a little while to settle into the league again and get some understanding with team mates, but should do plenty well enough to put himself in the shop window come the summer.

32 minutes ago, Rude Gullit said:

I wondered if Burke continues to impress at Parkhead, maybe Celtic might be up for offering someone else to WBA in exchange (was going to say Boyata but he's out of contract in summer I think)? I don't think Celtic would splash out £10+ million for him (unless he's sensational and gets them to the Europa final!) but I could see some kind of makeweight deal being done. 
Hope he doesn't end up back at WBA to be honest, could see him being sidelined again.

Yeh maybe someone like McGregor or Sinclair might interest wba, and a swap deal plus cash could be arranged. The most I could see Celtic spending is about 8 or 9m on him. If Burke was to do really well then wba would probably want him back or they would want more money for him. It's a catch 22 situation for Celtic and Burke to a lesser extent.

3 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yeh maybe someone like McGregor or Sinclair might interest wba, and a swap deal plus cash could be arranged. The most I could see Celtic spending is about 8 or 9m on him. If Burke was to do really well then wba would probably want him back or they would want more money for him. It's a catch 22 situation for Celtic and Burke to a lesser extent.

I doubt he will be at Celtic next season.  It's a shame because Rodgers would have a great chance of getting the best out if him.

16 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

I doubt he will be at Celtic next season.  It's a shame because Rodgers would have a great chance of getting the best out if him.

Your probably right but I reckon there's a chance wba might sell for 9m if they get promoted. English clubs don't rate Scottish football so any success up here may be attributed to the low standard and wba may feel he won't be good enough for EPL first team football or they might buy new players and be happy to take a hit on Burke.

4 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Under no circumstances should Callum McGregor be offered to anyone.

Does anyone think that's it's imperative that we blood one or two new strikers this year ?

Steven Fletcher, Oli McBurnie, Steven Naismith and Johnny Russell will all still be in the reckoning and understandably so.

How long Leigh Griffiths will be out for is anyone's guess and Jason Cummings probably isn't upto international football.

But could Oliver Burke be considered for a role up front as opposed to being out wide ?

And now for the controversial bit. Che Adams is eligible (granny rule) and scoring goals for Birmingham in the English second tier but would you want him playing for Scotland ?

Would you give serious thought to selecting - Che Adams, Eamonn Brophy, Jack Harper, Fraser Hornby, Lawrence Shankland & Greg Stewart.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

7 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Does anyone think that's it's imperative that we blood one or two new strikers this year ?

Steven Fletcher, Oli McBurnie, Steven Naismith and Johnny Russell will all still be in the reckoning and understandably so.

How long Leigh Griffiths will be out for is anyone's guess and Jason Cummings probably isn't upto international football.

But could Oliver Burke be considered for a role up front as opposed to being out wide ?

And now for the controversial bit. Che Adams is eligible (granny rule) and scoring goals for Birmingham in the English second tier but would you want him playing for Scotland ?

Would you give serious thought to selecting - Che Adams, Eamonn Brophy, Jack Harper, Fraser Hornby, Lawrence Shankland & Greg Stewart.

It is looking like our weakest position after right-back.

Brophy could force his way in. The question should be put to Adams.

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Fraser Hornby is a virtual stick-on full internationalist as long as he stays fit. 

Ryan Hardie is definitely one to consider......has the talent, is very highly rated and is finally maturing.

Maybe getting carried away but I think things are starting to look more promising. Only a few months ago we were wondering where all the strikers are but now there are possibilities. 

Burke, Hornby, Brophy, McBurnie, Harper and Hardie are all fairly young and then behind them are even younger lads who look promising.

I still think it's a bit early to be getting over excited about Hornby but he certainly looks good.

I'd still be picking Naismith and hoping Griffiths is back soon but i'd be getting them into the squad

50 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Maybe getting carried away but I think things are starting to look more promising. Only a few months ago we were wondering where all the strikers are but now there are possibilities. 

Burke, Hornby, Brophy, McBurnie, Harper and Hardie are all fairly young and then behind them are even younger lads who look promising.

I still think it's a bit early to be getting over excited about Hornby but he certainly looks good.

I'd still be picking Naismith and hoping Griffiths is back soon but i'd be getting them into the squad

Surely Steven Fletcher is the man in possession? He was brilliant in the last two games. I think Hornby is his natural successor. Hardie, Brophy and Rudden all look like they will become good players. Burke i think will become a top player, I’m just not sure where he’ll play. 

3 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Realistically I think the 3 who could make an appearance in the next squad are Burke, Brophy, and Harper in that order. 

It's way too soon for Hornby at the moment, but there is actually a chance he'll be brought into the Everton team by March, so who knows? 

Stewart and Hardie both look good, but I'd be surprised to see them in the next squad as there are maybe 5 or 6 ahead of them as things stand. 

Does Sam Cosgrove have a Scottish granny?

4 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

You don't say? He's barely up to Scottish Prem standard. His name should be nowhere near an international thread. 

9 minutes ago, RightPeg said:

You don't say? He's barely up to Scottish Prem standard. His name should be nowhere near an international thread. 

He isn't up to SPL standards.

I read a funny suggestion from a Forest fan who suggests that he's more equipped to being a cheerleader than a footballer. He seems himself as a bit of a jester so I'd dress him up accordingly and get him to amuse to fans at half time.

Cummings will be given 5 minutes by O'Neill before he's regarded as surplus to requirements, I'll give it 5 seconds if Roy Keane becomes O'Neill's assistant.

Re Strikers:

Fletcher is the man in possession, so I expect McLeish will trust him to start our campaign with Fraser and Forrest either side again. However, what better sub to bring on after 60 mins than an in-form and confident (hopefully) powerhouse like Burke? The Celtic connection with Forrest would definitely be a bonus too.

It'd be great to have these two as main CF picks, and a young talent like Hornby breaking through over the next season or two.

As for Griffiths, I have a horrible feeling that we've seen the best of him. He will play again, but I doubt he'll hit the 40-goal a season level again. Also, he probably isn't suited tactically to the currently successful Scotland setup.

3 hours ago, Rude Gullit said:

Re Strikers:

Fletcher is the man in possession, so I expect McLeish will trust him to start our campaign with Fraser and Forrest either side again. However, what better sub to bring on after 60 mins than an in-form and confident (hopefully) powerhouse like Burke? The Celtic connection with Forrest would definitely be a bonus too.

It'd be great to have these two as main CF picks, and a young talent like Hornby breaking through over the next season or two.

As for Griffiths, I have a horrible feeling that we've seen the best of him. He will play again, but I doubt he'll hit the 40-goal a season level again. Also, he probably isn't suited tactically to the currently successful Scotland setup.

I agree with most of this. Hopefully Griffiths gets things together, as he’s another option from the bench. 

12 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Don't really see any reason to keep Naismith and Russell unless some serious injury problems and even then I would prefer to  gamble with any of the younger players.

Sympathetic as I might be about Leigh Griffiths I think his international career is over and rightly so. There are few enough internationals to risk any one with an uncontrollable addiction.

Oliver Burke, yes,but he has a lot to do other than two good games against very week opposition

Would die to see what Shankland is capable of and hopefully he will get a move up very soon.

Brophy is worth keeping an eye on as he seem to be on the upgrade.

Not sure why you mentioned Greg Stewart, no were near good enough.

People on here getting totally carried away about Jack Harper, 23 year old who did Zilch until getting a game in the Spanish second division.

If Hornby starts getting games for Everton in EPL great, but until then all has really done is look good in his on age group. The Sunderland full team beat the Man City under 23's 2-0 midweek easily from what I heard.That's the difference 

If all that fails then hop aboard Che Adams.

One player you didn't mention was Callum Paterson who I think should be considered.

Edited by ceudmilefailte