Scottish Players in Action 18/19 - Page 86 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in Action 18/19

PASTA Mick

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

I thought Robertson was poor aside from his assist.   Distribution poor, crossing poor, caught for pace by Stirling a few times, didn’t threaten often. He did get the odd tackle in. Hopefully a one off.

Must’ve been watching a different game from the rest of us 

2 hours ago, Malcolm said:

I thought Robertson was poor aside from his assist.   Distribution poor, crossing poor, caught for pace by Stirling a few times, didn’t threaten often. He did get the odd tackle in. Hopefully a one off.

OK. I didn't see that at all.

I thought he was excellent.

3 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Hahaha brilliant. 

Garth Crooks picked Robbo in his team of the week, writing the following:

"

Andrew Robertson: It's not often defenders on the losing side make my team of the week but occasionally an exception has to made. Andrew Robertson is the exception and that is because he is an exceptional player. He gets better with every game. He handled Raheem Sterling masterfully and still had the time and composure to deliver the most exquisite ball for Roberto Firmino to head home and all in a white-hot atmosphere. Make no mistake, this kid is outstanding.

Did you know? The Liverpool left-back made more tackles and gained possession more times than any of his team-mates against Manchester City."

7 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Ryan Fraser starts for Bournemouth vs. Brighton.

Scott McTominay starts for Man Utd vs. Reading.

Any chance we might see Charlie Gilmour in action for Arsenal later today ?

McTominay scored 7.9 and man of the match on a certain ratings site. Statistics say he had the highest pass success rate, won the most headers and made the most tackles for Man Utd perhaps they won't show all of that in the highlights. 

31 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

McTominay scored 7.9 and man of the match on a certain ratings site. Statistics say he had the highest pass success rate, won the most headers and made the most tackles for Man Utd perhaps they won't show all of that in the highlights. 

Great to hear.

2 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

You wouldn't think that if you were a regular on Redcafe. There he was the lowest ranked Man United player with a score of 4.6

A lot of people in that place clearly have an axe to grind against Scott McTominay.

1 hour ago, Chripper said:

You wouldn't think that if you were a regular on Redcafe. There he was the lowest ranked Man United player with a score of 4.6

A lot of people in that place clearly have an axe to grind against Scott McTominay.

Ended up reading a fair bit of the forum and there are a lot of idiots on there. Funny how "the axe to grind" mentality appears on all forums. The arrogance of some people when they decide things regarding certain players and are never going to change their minds is something else.

But from those that appeared to at least put some effort into their posts, there is a belief that he is far better as a defensive midfielder than any were else, and also that he was by no means the worst player on the park

No one seems to think he has a future at Man Utd, although some would like to see him out on loan just in case.

Big case of he has to leave UTD and hopefully it will be sooner rather than later for Scotland's sake. We could do with a defensive midfielder. 

16 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Ended up reading a fair bit of the forum and there are a lot of idiots on there. Funny how "the axe to grind" mentality appears on all forums. The arrogance of some people when they decide things regarding certain players and are never going to change their minds is something else.

But from those that appeared to at least put some effort into their posts, there is a belief that he is far better as a defensive midfielder than any were else, and also that he was by no means the worst player on the park

No one seems to think he has a future at Man Utd, although some would like to see him out on loan just in case.

Big case of he has to leave UTD and hopefully it will be sooner rather than later for Scotland's sake. We could do with a defensive midfielder. 

I've been a regular these for god knows how long. 

I remember Darren Fletcher receiving pretty much the mirror image of criticism from that place. There were stages where pretty much everyone thought that he didn't have a future at United and the only reason he was getting matches was because he was Scottish. It got so silly that he was being called Alex Ferguson's son and his pet project, much the same way that McTominay was being labelled as Mourinho's pet project. 

Darren Fletcher ended up winning over most of his detractors, but his will to win and mentality was/is incredible. Hopefully McTominay has the same character.

The United fans ended up hating Mourinho, going back from last season, and because Mourinho was such a fuss out of young Scott, the young lad unfairly got a lot of abuse. Another reason for the McTominay hate (no other word for it) is because he's keeping Pereira and Chong out of the squad. 

I'm not saying that he's receiving the abuse because he's Scottish, because Cleverely received the same criticism, but it's so unfairly to leap on young players and put them under pressure instead of supporting them. I suppose it's a case of sinking or swimming.

15 hours ago, Chripper said:

I've been a regular these for god knows how long. 

I remember Darren Fletcher receiving pretty much the mirror image of criticism from that place. There were stages where pretty much everyone thought that he didn't have a future at United and the only reason he was getting matches was because he was Scottish. It got so silly that he was being called Alex Ferguson's son and his pet project, much the same way that McTominay was being labelled as Mourinho's pet project. 

Darren Fletcher ended up winning over most of his detractors, but his will to win and mentality was/is incredible. Hopefully McTominay has the same character.

Park Ji-sung and John O'Shea (two very good players and essential to Ferguson's league winning squads) for years also used to get the same abuse as Darren Fletcher from those fools who support United.

And now the same people have the cheek to talk about how Fletcher, Park and O'Shea were "unsung heroes".

In my opinion the big turning point for Fletch at United was in early 2008 when he scored two against Arsenal in the FA Cup (I think it was) and became a key player in the league run in. He gradually began to win the fans round after that and had probably his best season at United after that in 2008/09.

That was also the time when he played like a man possessed against the Dutch at Hampden. He was bloody terrific that night. Billy Bremner would have been proud of how Fletch played. It was such a pity we just couldn't friggin score despite multiple chances.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

39 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Park Ji-sung and John O'Shea (two very good players and essential to Ferguson's league winning squads) for years also used to get the same abuse as Darren Fletcher from those fools who support United.

And now the same people have the cheek to talk about how Fletcher, Park and O'Shea were "unsung heroes".

In my opinion the big turning point for Fletch at United was in early 2008 when he scored two against Arsenal in the FA Cup (I think it was) and became a key player in the league run in. He gradually began to win the fans round after that and had probably his best season at United after that in 2008/09.

That was also the time when he played like a man possessed against the Dutch at Hampden. He was bloody terrific that night. Billy Bremner would have been proud of how Fletch played. It was such a pity we just couldn't friggin score despite multiple chances.

I know. It's like they don't value a player unless he can dribble past 5 players and pop it in the top corner, or they contently ping 30 yarders on a sixpence. They don't seem to understand that football is also about players who do the dirty work, who do the unfashionable work that allows flair players do weave their magic. And yes, players like Park, O'Shea and Fletcher were as important as Scholes, Beckham, Keane, et al. 

I think I have that match, but I think it was a league match, I could be wrong. I have it on a hard drive somewhere. Might've been a different match but it was definitely against Arsenal. It was around the same time. Fletcher absolutely ran the midfield, his passing, his tacking, his work rate and his cajoling his team-mates was the closest thing to a Roy Keane performance that I've seen. Was that the season where he got suspended (unfairly) for the European Cup final? I doubt Barcelona would've had such an easy time of it if Fletcher was playing.

Yeah, I remember the game. Was that the match where Miller hit the bar?

It's a shame that Fletcher got struck down with his illness as I believe that he was turning into a massive influence at club level and it would've transferred to international level, and who knows what would've happened and how good he would've become.

14 minutes ago, Chripper said:

I think I have that match, but I think it was a league match, I could be wrong. I have it on a hard drive somewhere. Might've been a different match but it was definitely against Arsenal. It was around the same time. Fletcher absolutely ran the midfield, his passing, his tacking, his work rate and his cajoling his team-mates was the closest thing to a Roy Keane performance that I've seen. Was that the season where he got suspended (unfairly) for the European Cup final? I doubt Barcelona would've had such an easy time of it if Fletcher was playing.

Yeah, I remember the game. Was that the match where Miller hit the bar?

It's a shame that Fletcher got struck down with his illness as I believe that he was turning into a massive influence at club level and it would've transferred to international level, and who knows what would've happened and how good he would've become.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/fa_cup/7224064.stm

This was the Man Utd vs. Arsenal match that IMO really gave Fletch the boost he needed and saw him become a asset to United. FA Cup match in February 2008.

The suspension for the final  was in season 2008/09. I seem to remember was actually the result of the ref booking him in a case of mistaken identity and of course he missed the big match.

Aye, we had loads of chances against the Dutch that night at Hampden. Remember it vividly. Naismith got the ball in the net but had it wrongly ruled offside. Scott Brown lost out in a goalmouth scramble. Kris Commons and Garry O'Connor sent shots narrowly over the bar and by the post. David Marshall was excellent in goal too.

An odd thing to say but although we lost 1-0 it was probably the best game of football we played under the super proud but chronically unlucky George Burley.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

1 minute ago, ErsatzThistle said:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/fa_cup/7224064.stm

This was the Man Utd vs. Arsenal match that IMO really gave Fletch the boost he needed and saw him become a asset to United. FA Cup match in February 2008.

The suspension for the final  was in season 2008/09. I seem to remember was actually the result of the ref booking him in a case of mistaken identity and of course he missed the big match.

Aye, we had loads of chances against the Dutch that night at Hampden. Remember it vividly. Naismith got the ball in the net but had it wrongly ruled offside. Scott Brown lost out in a goalmouth scramble. Kris Commons and Garry O'Connor sent shots narrowly over the bar and by the post. David Marshall was excellent in goal too.

An odd thing to say but although we lost 1-0 it was probably the best game of football we played under the super proud but chronically unlucky George Burley.

I remember that one. It may have been the match that I have... I can't be bothered checking, so let's just say that it is. ;)

It's a shame as United were coasting towards the final. I think the clock was ticking away, United had two feet in the final and in the final minutes Fabregas got behind the United the defence with the ball, he was dribbling towards the keeper and out of nowhere Darren Fletcher appeared, slid in with a last ditch tackle and got his studs... unfortunately the ref made a mistake by red carding Fletch and awarding Arsenal a penalty. It always sticks with me, not because of the injustice, but because Fletcher took the decision like a man. He didn't remonstrate. He didn't throw the toys out of the pram and show disrespect towards the ref. He just ran off the pitch. It just summed up the man and the player that he is.

The only thing that I remember about that match was Miller hitting the bar and the chances that we had, thinking bad it seemed like all them dropped to Miller, but in reality I don't think it was true. But yeah, I remember that we played some great stuff and the players were so pumped up and they gave every drop of sweat for the cause, all that was lacking was a wee bit of luck. I was behind the goal where Miller hit the bar, that's probably why it sticks in my mind.