Scottish Players in Action 18/19 - Page 84 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in Action 18/19

PASTA Mick

1 hour ago, Chripper said:

Can you really single out one play for a team being useless? Staying with Fulham, I think we would all take Mitrovic, regardless of Fulham's form.

Who would make way? McTominay, GMS, Fleck, McDonald. The standard of our midfielders have been great exaggerated:

What is our strongest midfield? If it's a 4 it's: Fraser, Armstrong, McGinn and Forrest. One plays for a mid-table EPL team (not always a starter), one for a team who may or may not be relegated from the EP, one for a team in the English Championship who may or may not be promoted to the EPL and a player who plays for Celtic.

It's hardly a strong midfield. Would Cairney improve it? Not really, which shows just where we are that we're even talking about him.

Well no as I do not think he merits a place in the squad. And if you had your way another slot in midfield would go to Andy Robertson on the left. McGregor, Armstrong and Fraser along with Forrest would all be in the fight for the rest of the midfield roles with Christie and McGinn vying for spots so you see Cairney would struggle to even make the squad.

4 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Well no as I do not think he merits a place in the squad. And if you had your way another slot in midfield would go to Andy Robertson on the left. McGregor, Armstrong and Fraser along with Forrest would all be in the fight for the rest of the midfield roles with Christie and McGinn vying for spots so you see Cairney would struggle to even make the squad.

I would play a 3-4-2-1

The 4: Tierney, Robertson, McGregor, McGinn

The 2: Fraser and Forrest

10 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

And Cairney has been part of that hopelessness. As club captain you are expected to stand up and be counted but he hasn't. 

I am not ruling him out in the future but at the moment I am saying I don't see what all the hype is about and at the moment I don't even see him as squad material considering the options we have there. Just as point of interest who would you drop to make way for him in the squad and who would you drop from our starting line-up to play him bearing in mind he is totally unproven at the top level. 

Injured/change of manager etc.

Disrupts players really.

Lad is a good player, just seems like Ritchie not fully committed to Scotland with constant pull outs and in fairness McLeish has reacted by not calling either up so up to them really.

13 minutes ago, Chripper said:

I would play a 3-4-2-1

The 4: Tierney, Robertson, McGregor, McGinn

The 2: Fraser and Forrest

But that examplifies what I am saying as there is just no space for Cairnet in our squad. Midfield back-ups should go to the likes of Jack and even Mackay-Steven has impressed more for us than Cairney at international level. 

Just now, Caledonian Craig said:

But that examplifies what I am saying as there is just no space for Cairnet in our squad. Midfield back-ups should go to the likes of Jack and even Mackay-Steven has impressed more for us than Cairney at international level. 

To be honest with you I'm not particularly arguing Cairney's case, as our midfielders are so much of a muchness. 

On 12/26/2018 at 11:37 AM, GHfaeGTA said:

Andreu never played for United last season. The few games I saw on the box he never looked that good and absolutely no comparison to Robbo 

Ha!  The Wilderness Years are merging into each other.  Was Andreu really two years ago?  

Ralston was good.  Not Robbo.  But good, and I wish he was here now.  I say that having been at Alloa on Saturday.  

Just now, Malcolm said:

McGinn as right wing back?  Has he ever played there before in his life?

I don't think so, but unless we happen upon someone who has/who can, we might as well as give it a shot.

The lad likes to get the ball and dribble with it, so why not. 

2 minutes ago, Chripper said:

I don't think so, but unless we happen upon someone who has/who can, we might as well as give it a shot.

The lad likes to get the ball and dribble with it, so why not. 

Because we are talking international football and not a kick about in the park.  He does not strike me as a wing back at all.  You can’t be just sticking people in positions that they have never played before.  

1 minute ago, Malcolm said:

Because we are talking international football and not a kick about in the park.  He does not strike me as a wing back at all.  You can’t be just sticking people in positions that they have never played before.  

Exactly. These are professional footballer we are talking about, not a bunch of amateurs.

Of all the midfielder we have, he's one of the most dynamic. It's either him or Snodgrass, but again, Snodgrass hasn't played there before, either.

Just now, Chripper said:

Exactly. These are professional footballer we are talking about, not a bunch of amateurs.

Of all the midfielder we have, he's one of the most dynamic. It's either him or Snodgrass, but again, Snodgrass hasn't played there before, either.

Stephen o Donnel or Calum Patterson?

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Talking about three players there with two caps each, so we cant really make any opinion on their ability at international level. Think if we break it down into minutes and the competitiveness  of those games we have even less of a clue. No Idea how many call ups they have appeared for, but it cant be many(not saying any have pulled out)  They even lack the experience of training with a coaching team and players they have never met before not to forget sitting on a plane for a few hours with them.

Think I am going to get boring now with continuing to suggest that inexperienced back up is the way ahead, so to be honest none of the three for me, despite the compelling argument made for Jack earlier.

2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Mcginn at wing back. Jesus Christ.

No idea if Jesus Christ is a wingback or not, but it never hurts to try. Has he got a Scottish grandparent? 

McGinn reminds me of Hutton, where they both like dribbling with the ball and to hell with the consequences. 

If I'm playing with two wingbacks then someone has to play on the right. We lack opinions, not just in right wingback, but right back.

Edited by Chripper

2 minutes ago, csinclair said:

I'm all for finding a system that gets the best of of our players, but playing our best player who is a left back in centre mid and mcginn, a left footed centre mid at right wing back makes no sense to me. Just seems to be shoehorning for the sake of the system

I was wondering that. In that case, never mind.

Why are so many of our best players left footed?

Edited by Chripper

2 hours ago, Chripper said:

I was wondering that. In that case, never mind.

Why are so many of our best players left footed?

This just confirms you literally do not have a scooby doo pal eh. Either that or you have to be on the complete wind up on here. Some of your comments, opinions and ideas are hilarious tbf.

13 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

Newcastle want to sign him aswell.

Hardly an EPL team of note though who have flirted with relegation more than the top half of the table. The question remains if Cairney has been impressing for Fulham why don't a more established EPL side show an interest in him? 

I just find the drooling over him a bit embarrassing. At least our other midfield options have form at European and international level which he has not. 

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Hardly an EPL team of note though who have flirted with relegation more than the top half of the table. The question remains if Cairney has been impressing for Fulham why don't a more established EPL side show an interest in him? 

I just find the drooling over him a bit embarrassing. At least our other midfield options have form at European and international level which he has not. 

Going by last 5-10 years playing in bottom half of premier league regularly is pretty good going for any player being called regularly by Scotland.

He obviously isn't good enough for any of the top 6 who are a league apart now and not much difference between teams between 7th-14th imo as Burnley have shown recently.