Scottish Players in Action 18/19 - Page 83 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in Action 18/19

PASTA Mick

44 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Apologies, maybe the Rangers fans could answer the question.Were have the call up demands been before today? 

I doubt any Rangers fan would be calling for him to be given a starting position, but the fact he gives us cover in two positions - both of which we are pretty short in - means he has to be up for inclusion. He's been pretty consistent all season.

If you are determined to work back from before today - I've mentioned this on 3/4 occasions before (as have others).

3 hours ago, SWMM82 said:

Gauld scored a double for Farense in the league today.....for those who still believe he may have something to offer at international level.

Cup game.

Still nice to see him actually starting games at least.

Edit: Actually you're right, just didn't realise the opposition name.

Didn't even realise until you posted that he's been loaned to a team in the Portugeese Second division. He needs to come back to U.K I think now. 5 years at Sporting without ever playing games for their main team and now dosen't even get loaned to another team in the top league.

Edited by Tartan Chris

8 hours ago, mrniaboc said:

Fraser on the bench is a complete head-scratcher, and very frustrating for us. He and Wilson have been the single most potent partnership in the first half of this EPL season. They have to be the first two names on the team sheet for Bournemouth. 

What started as a promising season for Scots in the EPL has turned a little sour. Armstrong was on the bench again and McTominay isn't in the starting squad (can't see any mention of injury.) The two at Fulham aren't having much of an impact either.

Sure it'll turn round. They're too good not to.

13 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

What started as a promising season for Scots in the EPL has turned a little sour. Armstrong was on the bench again and McTominay isn't in the starting squad (can't see any mention of injury.) The two at Fulham aren't having much of an impact either.

Sure it'll turn round. They're too good not to.

Armstrong has started the last few games and played very well.

McTominay has barely played all season.

Cairney has also started a lot lately.

McDonald is horse shite.

Edited by ProudScot

34 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Armstrong has started the last few games and played very well.

McTominay has barely played all season.

Cairney has also started a lot lately.

McDonald is horse shite.

Sorry but I am not getting all this hyping up of Cairney. Read reports of Fulham matches and I never hear him mentioned unlike Fraser and Armstrong have been for their clubs. I also was less than impressed with him in the friendly. Even Mcdonald outshone him and certainly O Donnell did. Sorry at the moment with the midfield options we have he isn't even squad material. 

17 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Apologies, maybe the Rangers fans could answer the question.Were have the call up demands been before today? 

A fair amount, probably the majority, of Rangers fans have no interest in the national team. That’s why there’s no ‘demands’ for our players to be called up. 

I’m probably in the minority, I still follow the national team and don’t view the squad through blue tinted specs. Same can’t be said for a lot of other clubs’ fans though. 

Ryan Jack has been one of our best performers all season, he does his job well which is all you can ask of any player. He’s got European experience this season as well. I’d view him as the holding midfielder that scotland need just now. I wouldn’t start him over McGregor, McGinn or Armstrong as they are technically much better footballers than him, but if we’re playing a 4-1-4-1 he could free up the other three to play a more advanced role. At present, the 4-2-3-1 with Forrest and Fraser wide and three from McGinn, McGregor, Armstrong and Christie is our best system, but Jack can do a job of keeping the ball if we’re trying to see the game out.

In terms of the other Scots, Halliday has a good game against celtic but he’s not first choice left back and he’s probably fourth choice in midfield so would be very surprised if he makes a squad. Ross McCrorie is another than can play the holding midfield role, in a different way from Jack, could also slot into a back three if we revert to that - at the moment Souttar, Porteous and McKenna are miles ahead of him in defence.

Edited by Manno

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Sorry but I am not getting all this hyping up of Cairney. Read reports of Fulham matches and I never hear him mentioned unlike Fraser and Armstrong have been for their clubs. I also was less than impressed with him in the friendly. Even Mcdonald outshone him and certainly O Donnell did. Sorry at the moment with the midfield options we have he isn't even squad material. 

With the way that people talk it's like we have Pogba and Modric In midfield.

We have Armstrong and McGregor, etc. These players are hardly head and shoulders above Cairney.

9 hours ago, Manno said:

A fair amount, probably the majority, of Rangers fans have no interest in the national team. That’s why there’s no ‘demands’ for our players to be called up. 

I’m probably in the minority, I still follow the national team and don’t view the squad through blue tinted specs. Same can’t be said for a lot of other clubs’ fans though. 

Ryan Jack has been one of our best performers all season, he does his job well which is all you can ask of any player. He’s got European experience this season as well. I’d view him as the holding midfielder that scotland need just now. I wouldn’t start him over McGregor, McGinn or Armstrong as they are technically much better footballers than him, but if we’re playing a 4-1-4-1 he could free up the other three to play a more advanced role. At present, the 4-2-3-1 with Forrest and Fraser wide and three from McGinn, McGregor, Armstrong and Christie is our best system, but Jack can do a job of keeping the ball if we’re trying to see the game out.

In terms of the other Scots, Halliday has a good game against celtic but he’s not first choice left back and he’s probably fourth choice in midfield so would be very surprised if he makes a squad. Ross McCrorie is another than can play the holding midfield role, in a different way from Jack, could also slot into a back three if we revert to that - at the moment Souttar, Porteous and McKenna are miles ahead of him in defence.

Thank's for that, always better to hear an honest view from a regular observer. A bit like Pasta Mick you aren't building up your young players to be anything other than potential.

I am developing a massive concern about bringing in players over 25 with no international experience, Perhaps the likes of Cairney and Shinnie should have decent amount of caps by now, but they don't. 

Your argument for Jack seems pretty solid though as he would appear to be the best option we have for the sort of role you 're suggesting.

18 hours ago, Chripper said:

With the way that people talk it's like we have Pogba and Modric In midfield.

We have Armstrong and McGregor, etc. These players are hardly head and shoulders above Cairney.

I am sorry but in my opinion they are plus you are forgetting other midfield options such as Fraser, Christie and Forrest. All have European experience unlike Cairney. All have shown they can play at international level and contribute unlike Cairney and all have made substantial contributions in club football unlike Cairney. Trawl through Fulham match reports and you will find a hard job finding gushing reports in Cairney whereas in the same league we hear of rave reviews for Robertson, Fraser and Armstrong. 

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I am sorry but in my opinion they are plus you are forgetting other midfield options such as Fraser, Christie and Forrest. All have European experience unlike Cairney. All have shown they can play at international level and contribute unlike Cairney and all have made substantial contributions in club football unlike Cairney. Trawl through Fulham match reports and you will find a hard job finding gushing reports in Cairney whereas in the same league we hear of rave reviews for Robertson, Fraser and Armstrong. 

I don't buy into the Cairney hype at all. Even on boxing Day, he was dropped to the bench and he's club captain! He had a great season in the championship, but had been found out in the ELP. It's great how many ex SPL players are having a good season down south. Robertson and Fraser don't need an introduction, Snoddy and Armstrong are impressing, McArthur an ever present for palace

Edited by Bobby Russell's Lovechild

I'll accept Fraser and Forrest, but what exactly has Christie done? At the start of the season most people thought that he didn't even have a future at Celtic. Yes, he's done OK, but lets see how he's doing next season and beyond.

I've actually just looked at Cairney's passing stats. Passing wise he has 90.3% completion rating, which is 11th in the EPL. That's not to be sneezed at.

Plus let's be fair, Fulham have been pretty hopeless this season.

43 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

I don't buy into the Cairney hype at all. Even on boxing Day, he was dropped to the bench and he's club captain! He had a great season in the championship, but had been found out in the ELP. It's great how many ex SPL players are having a good season down south. Robertson and Fraser don't need an introduction, Snoddy and Armstrong are impressing, McArthur an ever present for palace

McArthur retired from internationals & Snoddy asked not to be picked so I wouldn’t be including them in the above at present. 

1 hour ago, Chripper said:

I'll accept Fraser and Forrest, but what exactly has Christie done? At the start of the season most people thought that he didn't even have a future at Celtic. Yes, he's done OK, but lets see how he's doing next season and beyond.

I've actually just looked at Cairney's passing stats. Passing wise he has 90.3% completion rating, which is 11th in the EPL. That's not to be sneezed at.

Plus let's be fair, Fulham have been pretty hopeless this season.

And Cairney has been part of that hopelessness. As club captain you are expected to stand up and be counted but he hasn't. 

I am not ruling him out in the future but at the moment I am saying I don't see what all the hype is about and at the moment I don't even see him as squad material considering the options we have there. Just as point of interest who would you drop to make way for him in the squad and who would you drop from our starting line-up to play him bearing in mind he is totally unproven at the top level. 

And Cairney has been part of that hopelessness. As club captain you are expected to stand up and be counted but he hasn't. 

I am not ruling him out in the future but at the moment I am saying I don't see what all the hype is about and at the moment I don't even see him as squad material considering the options we have there. Just as point of interest who would you drop to make way for him in the squad and who would you drop from our starting line-up to play him bearing in mind he is totally unproven at the top level. 

Reading between the lines on the Fulham forum, he hasn't been a 100% fit all season and is being played in all sorts of positions in the games he has played. They do appear to think he can help turn the teams fortunes around if fit and used correctly. Despite his lack of game time this season I think ha started in the three games Fulham have won this season.

It's not really hype though as he has had a number of very good seasons in the championship and many were surprised he had not had a move to the Premiership or been regularly picked by Scotland.

Having said all that I am obliged to say he is nearly 28 and has no real international experience  and therefore ineligible for selection under my " you have to be under 25 to start an international career rule" unless you're name is Paul Hartley 

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Having said all that I am obliged to say he is nearly 28 and has no real international experience  and therefore ineligible for selection under my " you have to be under 25 to start an international career rule" unless you're name is Paul Hartley 

You must have been pretty angry when Colin Hendry, David Weir and Don Hutchison all made their debuts then ?

3 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Reading between the lines on the Fulham forum, he hasn't been a 100% fit all season and is being played in all sorts of positions in the games he has played. They do appear to think he can help turn the teams fortunes around if fit and used correctly. Despite his lack of game time this season I think ha started in the three games Fulham have won this season.

It's not really hype though as he has had a number of very good seasons in the championship and many were surprised he had not had a move to the Premiership or been regularly picked by Scotland.

It says it all that rumours have him being linked to a move to Leeds. If he was held in high esteem why isn't one of the top EPL clubs sniffing around. 

3 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

You must have been pretty angry when Colin Hendry, David Weir and Don Hutchison all made their debuts then ?

This is a totally new theory that I am working on for my tenure as the international boss. 

Back on thread briefly to say McBurnie scored two today and he and McGinn both had over 8 ratings on who scored.com

Still convinced that McBurnie will be a very big player for us over the next 10 years

8 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Can you really single out one play for a team being useless? Staying with Fulham, I think we would all take Mitrovic, regardless of Fulham's form.

Who would make way? McTominay, GMS, Fleck, McDonald. The standard of our midfielders have been great exaggerated:

What is our strongest midfield? If it's a 4 it's: Fraser, Armstrong, McGinn and Forrest. One plays for a mid-table EPL team (not always a starter), one for a team who may or may not be relegated from the EP, one for a team in the English Championship who may or may not be promoted to the EPL and a player who plays for Celtic.

It's hardly a strong midfield. Would Cairney improve it? Not really, which shows just where we are that we're even talking about him.