Scottish Players in Action 18/19 - Page 79 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in Action 18/19

PASTA Mick

35 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

He was pretty poor in his last two games when Bournemouth played three at the back, came on as sub today had an assist played well by all accounts. Perhaps he's not good enough to adapt to different formations Chirper?

Do you mean Bournemouth's last three matches (Before today), which were against Chelsea (L 1:0), Wolves (L 2:0) and (L 4:0) Liverpool?

If so, Fraser was on the bench against Chelsea (I heard that he brilliant at sitting, in fairness to Fraser) against Wolves they played 3-4-2-1 with Fraser being one of the 2 (and he did no worse or better than King or Stanislas) and against Liverpool they played 4-4-2, again, with Fraser being one of the 2, this time he played better than King.

So, in Bournemouth's most recent three matches they've played with 3 at the back twice, but only one when Fraser was playing.

Or did you mean the last three matches that Bournemouth played with a 3 (or a variation of a 3)? If so, they played Wolves (L 2:), Manchester City (L 3:1) or Fulham (W 3:0 - where he got Man of the match)?

What new players do you all want to see make their Scotland debuts next year ?

Michael Devlin, Michael Johnstone, Liam Kelly, Glenn Middleton, Ryan Porteous are the ones I'd like to see given a chance.

Controversial, but does anyone think McLeish will make a move to sign up Birmingham City's Che Adams ? (incoming....)

9 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Do you mean Bournemouth's last three matches (Before today), which were against Chelsea (L 1:0), Wolves (L 2:0) and (L 4:0) Liverpool?

If so, Fraser was on the bench against Chelsea (I heard that he brilliant at sitting, in fairness to Fraser) against Wolves they played 3-4-2-1 with Fraser being one of the 2 (and he did no worse or better than King or Stanislas) and against Liverpool they played 4-4-2, again, with Fraser being one of the 2, this time he played better than King.

So, in Bournemouth's most recent three matches they've played with 3 at the back twice, but only one when Fraser was playing.

Or did you mean the last three matches that Bournemouth played with a 3 (or a variation of a 3)? If so, they played Wolves (L 2:), Manchester City (L 3:1) or Fulham (W 3:0 - where he got Man of the match)?

I said his last two games, that's Wolves and Chelsea. He played half an hour against Chelsea and was poor. He played 90 against Wolves and was poor. 

5 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Michael Devlin, Michael Johnstone, Liam Kelly, Glenn Middleton, Ryan Porteous are the ones I'd like to see given a chance.

Controversial, but does anyone think McLeish will make a move to sign up Birmingham City's Che Adams ? (incoming....)

Be disappointed if Devlin at 25 gets a chance,  hope the others continue in the direction they are going.

Hope Kelly continues to improve as we need another keeper.

22 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I said his last two games, that's Wolves and Chelsea. He played half an hour against Chelsea and was poor. He played 90 against Wolves and was poor. 

Oops. My bad.

In fairness, Chelsea are quite a good team so he probably didn't see much of the ball. Against Wolves he was no better or worse than King or Stanislas.

Why are you picking on Fraser, though? Why not mention Porteous (who scored in a 3 at the back) or McArthur (Fine, he's retired, but he's still Scottish)? Our players are better than some people give them credit for. I think they're all able to adapt to a different formation, it's not like they're being asked to learn how to play cricket.

37 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I'd like to see all five of them making the breakthrough. I'd add Jack Harper to the list. Malaga will probably be promoted and there's been a bid for him from a La Liga team, so chances are that he'll be with a La Liga team next season.

I don't really know much about Che Adams, but if he's good enough then why not. 

59 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Oops. My bad.

In fairness, Chelsea are quite a good team so he probably didn't see much of the ball. Against Wolves he was no better or worse than King or Stanislas.

Why are you picking on Fraser, though? Why not mention Porteous (who scored in a 3 at the back) or McArthur (Fine, he's retired, but he's still Scottish)? Our players are better than some people give them credit for. I think they're all able to adapt to a different formation, it's not like they're being asked to learn how to play cricket.

Because I think Fraser is, or at least will be an international class football player. Don't think McArthur ever was and it is far too early to say how good Porteous is. Hardly picking on Fraser rather back to picking at three at the back before people start to believe you. Probably our second best player and you want to play him out of position.

Fraser played in just about every position on the park last year(including right back!) but it is this season he has emerged as a regular performer at club level playing when left mid.

Paterson is about the only player we have who has proved he can play in more than one position reasonably respectably.

Not sure if you have played much football but to debunk your cricket analogy, if you gave Phil Taylor 44 gram Darts I would probably beat him, same sport but I doubt if his skill set could adapt. He might still be pretty good but no were near his best so let him stick to what he knows the same should apply to our best players.

I really don't think you understand the difference between player positions on the park and how they are related to formations.

2 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Because I think Fraser is, or at least will be an international class football player. Don't think McArthur ever was and it is far too early to say how good Porteous is. Hardly picking on Fraser rather back to picking at three at the back before people start to believe you. Probably our second best player and you want to play him out of position.

Fraser played in just about every position on the park last year(including right back!) but it is this season he has emerged as a regular performer at club level playing when left mid.

Paterson is about the only player we have who has proved he can play in more than one position reasonably respectably.

Not sure if you have played much football but to debunk your cricket analogy, if you gave Phil Taylor 44 gram Darts I would probably beat him, same sport but I doubt if his skill set could adapt. He might still be pretty good but no were near his best so let him stick to what he knows the same should apply to our best players.

I really don't think you understand the difference between player positions on the park and how they are related to formations.

Where exactly do you think I would play him for Scotland? I would play him in a striking position or in midfield, either way, I'd give him licence to roam. I wouldn't say that Ryan Fraser plays left mid, the same as I wouldn't say that Forrest plays right mid. Both players have licence to roam. If you want to get the best out of those two we have to give them creative freedom, which McLeish did in the previous two matches, and it worked quiet well.

How about Shinnie? He's as good at left back as he is in midfield. McTominay played at youth level as a striker, he's also played in the middle of defence. McGregor was pretty much an attacking midfielder with Notts County (and up till this season with Celtic) and now he's playing as an anchorman. 

Yeah... with all due respect, Phil Taylor would probably beat with his a blindfold on. Unless you're a handy darts player.

In Holland and in Spain they don't give young players set positions, they just tell them to go out there and express themselves, which is why players from those countries can pretty much anywhere and not look out of place. We're talking about professional footballers and we're talking two progressive coaches (It's no surprise that Fraser and Forrest are coached by two of most progressive managers in the game, three if you count Andy Robertson) here. In training they are trained to play in a fluid manner and be comfortable wherever they find themselves.

If you're seriously saying that professional players who play at a good/very good level struggle to adapt at either positional changes or formation changes then you are either underestimating them or you're making excuses for them. 

Michael Johnston is a winger, but he grabbed two goals when he started as a striker on Saturday. Look at England, I'd trust James Milner to play literally anywhere on the park (apart from in goals). People are too obsessed with labels. Footballers aren't chess players, they are professional athletes.

On topic:

Johnston and Ralston were absolute stand-outs for Celtic. It might be a wee bit early to say this, but both of these kids could be called up next year.

Edited by Chripper

On 12/4/2018 at 9:15 PM, Chripper said:

Typical Scottish attitude right there.

Next.

Is it fuck a typical Scottish attitude. He supports Utd, not a joking meaningless club. If people can’t understand that, you really have to wonder if they get football. 

4 hours ago, Chripper said:

Michael Johnston is a winger, but he grabbed two goals when he started as a striker on Saturday. Look at England, I'd trust James Milner to play literally anywhere on the park (apart from in goals). People are too obsessed with labels. Footballers aren't chess players, they are professional athletes.

On topic:

Johnston and Ralston were absolute stand-outs for Celtic. It might be a wee bit early to say this, but both of these kids could be called up next year.

Ralston, are you on smack?

1 hour ago, kumnio said:

To be fair, it's the one position we hardly have any options for.  Our best three options are probably a retired Hutton, left-back Tierney and striker Paterson. 

Edited by PASTA Mick

6 hours ago, kumnio said:

Is it fuck a typical Scottish attitude. He supports Utd, not a joking meaningless club. If people can’t understand that, you really have to wonder if they get football. 

...I don't even remember what that's in reference to...

6 hours ago, kumnio said:

Nah. I've never did drugs.

4 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

To be fair, it's the one position we hardly have any options for.  Our best three options are probably a retired Hutton, left-back Tierney and striker Paterson. 

Exactly. Ralston has been playing well for the last 2 matches for Celtic, hopefully it's a watershed moment.

Plus, I remember him giving Neymar a rollicking for diving when they played against PSG a couple years ago, that endeared me to him.

18 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Che Adams is definitely someone we should be looking til bring in. Guys form has been great and we lack young talented strikers. He's still only 22 so he will probably want to wait for England but hopefully we can nab him in a year or two.

4 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Fraser played right back a couple of times, lets stick him there, frees up left mid for Robertson and left back for Tierney

I think that would be daft.

Fraser at left midfield is probably our best player. It would be crazy to put him at right-back. 

20 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Add Tony Ralston, Ryan Hardie & Stuart Findlay to the maybes list