Scottish Players in Action 18/19 - Page 76 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in Action 18/19

PASTA Mick

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Exactly my point.

Fucking bonkers.

Have people forgoten that we still have Kieran Tierney? I hear that he's still young and still pretty decent.

It wasn't that long ago that people were saying that Tierney was better than Robertson. People have short memories.

Edited by Chripper

14 hours ago, Chripper said:

Yes. When Berti came in (2000?) he ripped up Craig Brown's successful formula and reverted to four at the back, we've been playing with 4 ever since.

Wait a minute, did Craig Browns 'successful' formula not 'fail' to qualify for Euro 2000? Your argument that it is a 3-5-2 formation that had us qualifying for all these tournaments is absolute nonsense, the bottom line is we had better players then than we do now. If a 3-5-2 automatically qualified you for tournaments then everybody would be doing it. Absolute drivel

14 hours ago, Chripper said:

Have people forgoten that we still have Kieran Tierney? I hear that he's still young and still pretty decent.

It wasn't that long ago that people were saying that Tierney was better than Robertson. People have short memories.

I'm well aware we have Tierney.

I'm also well aware that Robertson is our best player and should be utilised in his best position, not shoehorned into a formation that somebody thought up on football manager.

3 hours ago, bazmidd said:

Wait a minute, did Craig Browns 'successful' formula not 'fail' to qualify for Euro 2000? Your argument that it is a 3-5-2 formation that had us qualifying for all these tournaments is absolute nonsense, the bottom line is we had better players then than we do now. If a 3-5-2 automatically qualified you for tournaments then everybody would be doing it. Absolute drivel

What, you mean when we got to the play offs against England, lost 2:1 on aggregate and absolutely battered them at Wembley, where David Beckham was pulled back so much that it was like he was a right back for the last half an hour and the matches that were the catalyst for Kevin Keegan quitting and realizing that he wasn't up to the job? 

Yes, Craig Brown "failed" to qualify once out of three times. 

I suppose that's worse than what, 9 failed attempts? Yeah, who needs to set the bar high with actually qualifying.

Really? We have better players then? Gosh, that can't be the case, surely, I can link you to dozens of posts in this place where people say that we are strong in midfield. :lol: 

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I'm well aware we have Tierney.

I'm also well aware that Robertson is our best player and should be utilised in his best position, not shoehorned into a formation that somebody thought up on football manager.

Are you? Really? Are you? Doesn't sound like it. With the manner of the "it's fucking bonkers" it sounds like you think Danny Fox is next in line.

The best players in the world can adapt to play anywhere. Some joker tried being sarcastic about Messi playing as an anchorman, not realizing that not only could be play in that position but he'd be amazing. Why? As he's a once in a generation player.

Yeah, I haven't played Football Manager since Football Manager 2013. I stopped playing when they introduced Steam. (Buying and then needing permission to play the game you actually own is beyond stupid). I have managed to download FM 2019 which bypasses Steam, but I doubt I'll have time to play it.

Edited by Chripper

39 minutes ago, Chripper said:

What, you mean when we got to the play offs against England, lost 2:1 on aggregate and absolutely battered them at Wembley, where David Beckham was pulled back so much that it was like he was a right back for the last half an hour and the matches that were the catalyst for Kevin Keegan quitting and realizing that he wasn't up to the job? 

I suppose that's worse than what, 9 failed attempts? Yeah, who needs to set the bar high with actually qualifying.

Really? We have better players then? Gosh, that can't be the case, surely, I can link you to dozens of posts in this place where people say that we are strong in midfield. :lol: 

Are you? Really? Are you? Doesn't sound like it. With the manner of the "it's fucking bonkers" it sounds like you think Danny Fox is next in line.

The best players in the world can adapt to play anywhere. Some joker tried being sarcastic about Messi playing as an anchorman, not realizing that not only could be play in that position but he'd be amazing. Why? As he's a once in a generation player.

Yeah, I haven't played Football Manager since Football Manager 2013. I stopped playing when they introduced Steam. (Buying and then needing permission to play the game you actually own is beyond stupid). I have managed to download FM 2019 which bypasses Steam, but I doubt I'll have time to play it.

It was me who mentioned Messi and as per usual you missed the point. The point wasn't whether Messi would be any good as an achorman, the point was you wouldn't put him there because it's not where he's most useful. Same goes for Robertson. He's a weapon at left back and that's where he favours playing, he said so himself.

Edited by vanderark14

8 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

It was me who mentioned Messi and as per usual you missed the point. The point wasn't whether Messi would be any good as an achorman, the point was you wouldn't put him there because it's not where he's most useful. Same goes for Robertson. He's a weapon at left back and that's where he favours playing, he said so himself.

I missed nothing. You overplayed your hand by suggesting that one of the two most talented players (maybe ever) would struggle to play a certain role on the field.

It was one of the biggest internet fails, sorry.

So, in essence, Kimmich and Alaba (Two brilliant fullbacks) play at full back for their clubs, (although Kimmich has started the season in midfield with Bayern Munich) and they are played as anchormen for the national teams. This is accepted by all. And yet, when the idea is brought to Scotland fans about doing the same thing with Robertson, the idea is thrown out?

In fairness, a few people here have said that he would be great in midfield, so it's not everyone who looks upon the idea as if it were a note, written in Alien language, attached to a Meteor.

Edited by Chripper

59 minutes ago, Chripper said:

I missed nothing. You overplayed your hand by suggesting that one of the two most talented players (maybe ever) would struggle to play a certain role on the field.

So, in essence, Kimmich and Alaba (Two brilliant fullbacks) play at full back for their clubs, (although Kimmich has started the season in midfield with Bayern Munich) and they are played as anchormen for the national teams. This is accepted by all. And yet, when the idea is brought to Scotland fans about doing the same thing with Robertson, the idea is thrown out?

In fairness, a few people here have said that he would be great in midfield, so it's not everyone who looks upon the idea as if it were a note, written in Alien language, attached to a Meteor.

I think you might have jumped the shark mate.

4 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

I think you might have jumped the shark mate.

Really?

He suggested that Lionel Messi would be lost if he played a deep role in midfield..

I'm not sure how to compute that. :blink:

If a dumber thing was said online, please post or recite it. I can't think of one.

Edited by Chripper

1 hour ago, Chripper said:

You really are a condescending wanker.

1 minute ago, Chripper said:

Really?

He suggested that Lionel Messi would be lost if he played a deep role in midfield..

I'm not sure how to compute that. :blink:

If a dumber thing was said online, please post or recite it. I can't think of one.

No I didn't suggest that at all, that's not what I posted and you fucking know it you ignorant little prick

Dress it up however way you like, at the end of the day he failed and that result was in fact the catalyst for Brown getting the sack. We shouldn't have even needed a play off win v England as we f*ucked up the group from a good position, again a failure.

And to then use other people's arguments on a point you disagree on yourself regarding our Midfield is pretty laughable. You know, and I know, not one of our Midfielders would have got in the Scotland starting lineup in 2000. In fact only maybe Robertson would have been near the starting lineup. We qualified for a couple of tournaments back then because we had better players back then, simple as that.

5 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Oh cool Vankerkind (I can't be bothered learning his name) is the TAMB's Donald Trump.

The "Lionel Messi would be lost In midfield" ranks amongst anything that Trump has ever said.

I don't think this kind of attitude is helping your case dude.

of the biggest internet fails, sorry.

So, in essence, Kimmich and Alaba (Two brilliant fullbacks) play at full back for their clubs, (although Kimmich has started the season in midfield with Bayern Munich) and they are played as anchormen for the national teams. This is accepted by all.

Can't speak for Alaba, but telling me Kimmich has played there in the last 6 games probably isn't a great stat to use considering Germany have been absolutely woeful as of late. Obviously not attributing it to moving Kimmich out of the position he usually excels in, but just noteworthy.

Edited by Tartan_McCole

10 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Quote the post if your so confident

You've already said that "that's not what I meant", so prove that you didn't say it.

You suggested that Messi wouldn't be able to play as anchorman.

11 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

Dress it up however way you like, at the end of the day he failed and that result was in fact the catalyst for Brown getting the sack. We shouldn't have even needed a play off win v England as we f*ucked up the group from a good position, again a failure.

And to then use other people's arguments on a point you disagree on yourself regarding our Midfield is pretty laughable. You know, and I know, not one of our Midfielders would have got in the Scotland starting lineup in 2000. In fact only maybe Robertson would have been near the starting lineup. We qualified for a couple of tournaments back then because we had better players back then, simple as that.

I think everyone on this forum would welcome the "failure" of qualifying for 2 out of the next 3 tournaments. 

Plus, Craig Brown was not sacked from the Scotland job. He quit.

We came 2nd to a very good Czech team. Look at our last qualification campaign, we came third to England and Slovakia.

Well, people keeping saying that we have a "strong" midfield. I disagree.