Scottish Players in Action 18/19 - Page 73 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in Action 18/19

PASTA Mick

On 12/10/2018 at 10:39 PM, JECK said:

The ideal scenario for me would be for Rodgers to get a big move hopefully sooner rather than later to a English club and in the following window get the band back together and plunder Celtic for McGregor, Tierney, Forrest and sign Armstrong from Southampton 

Chances of that happening is slim, we have an opportunity to build a team at Celtic, tbh it's never gonna be a team that wins the champs league but if Celtic can build a predominantly scottish team that can reach the Europa League final or get last 16 of the champs league then that would be a positive for the national team. Waiting for Rodgers to move to some relegation struggler or mid table team and filling it with Scots just so they can reach the top half of the EPL is not only unlikely but not really better than the Celtic option.

Was thinking what formation to use for next round of games as seems the 3-5-2 will be ditched.

4-2-3-1 and you could have Snoddy on one flank and Fraser on the other so you have nice mixture of pace and crosses. Any one of Paterson/Armstrong/Cairney for the number 10 role depending on the type of opposition.

But then we get to the age old debate of how to fit Tierney/Robbo in.....good luck 'eck!

4 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Was thinking what formation to use for next round of games as seems the 3-5-2 will be ditched.

4-2-3-1 and you could have Snoddy on one flank and Fraser on the other so you have nice mixture of pace and crosses. Any one of Paterson/Armstrong/Cairney for the number 10 role depending on the type of opposition.

But then we get to the age old debate of how to fit Tierney/Robbo in.....good luck 'eck!

If Forrest keeps up his form he deserves to start ahead of Snodgrass. Forrest for all his previous bad performances turned up and now the right wing is his to lose.

There is no argument at left back, Robertson is currently the first choice left back at one of Europe's top teams who also happen to sit top of their league. Hes on the the form of his life.

2 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

It would appear that way.

Ack well, at least McLeish gave it a chance, yep, a whole 18 minutes (competitively). So it's completely understandable that we go back to 4 at the back, as we've done so well with it for the past 18 years...

If McLeish wants to know how to make the 3-5-2 work then he should either give Gary Holt a call or just watch his team play. Livingston play in a simple way, the three at the back work as a solid trio and the midfield three work as a solid trio. I don't care who you are, it's hard work trying to break down a tight and organized 6 man middle.

8 minutes ago, Chripper said:

It would appear that way.

Ack well, at least McLeish gave it a chance, yep, a whole 18 minutes (competitively). So it's completely understandable that we go back to 4 at the back, as we've done so well with it for the past 18 years...

If McLeish wants to know how to make the 3-5-2 work then he should either give Gary Holt a call or just watch his team play. Livingston play in a simple way, the three at the back work as a solid trio and the midfield three work as a solid trio. I don't care who you are, it's hard work trying to break down a tight and organized 6 man middle.

3 at the back worked fantastically well against Israel when we should have been pumped about 7-0

17 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Are you seriously suggesting Forrest is dropped after scoring 5 goals in his last 2 games?The reason we were so threatening was the pace of Forrest and Fraser. If Snodgrass was to play it would need to be in the middle, but I wouldn’t drop any of the central three either. 

6 minutes ago, Chripper said:

You're mentioning one match?

You want me to trawl through the past 18 years and cite 50+ matches?

Yes please, id like you to trawl through 50 years of matches.

You'll find plenty results where we did well with 3 at the back but that's got nothing to do with the players we currently have at our disposal. The current crop are much more suited to 4321. I'm not sure why any Scotland fan would argue differently based on recent results and performances 

4 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Yes please, id like you to trawl through 50 years of matches.

You'll find plenty results where we did well with 3 at the back but that's got nothing to do with the players we currently have at our disposal. The current crop are much more suited to 4321. I'm not sure why any Scotland fan would argue differently based on recent results and performances 

13 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

4Yes please, id like you to trawl through 50 years of matches.

I said 18 years of matches.

Based on 2 matches against Israel and Albania? The cold hard facts are that since we switched to a 4 under Berti we have qualified for nothing.

We couldn't play with a 4 under Craig Brown's players and we still can't.

Edited by Chripper

I think one of the biggest positives of this year has to be that we are now arguing about which really good players should be on the bench, rather than which mediocre players should start. I'm really hopeful for 2019, and as I've said a few times already I think it would great for the squad to have Snoddy with them, even if he doesn't play on the matchdays.

2 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

I think one of the biggest positives of this year has to be that we are now arguing about which really good players should be on the bench, rather than which mediocre players should start. I'm really hopeful for 2019, and as I've said a few times already I think it would great for the squad to have Snoddy with them, even if he doesn't play on the matchdays.

It would be far more productive to bring along a promising young player like Glenn Middleton or Ryan Porteous or Fraser Hornby and to give them some experience in the squad rather than just one of the good ole' boys.

1 minute ago, ErsatzThistle said:

It would be far more productive to bring along a promising young player like Glenn Middleton or Ryan Porteous or Fraser Hornby and to give them some experience in the squad rather than just one of the good ole' boys.

I think there would still be space for them. But I'd also like the option of bringing on a lad who is lighting up the EPL with a top half team!

18 minutes ago, Chripper said:

I said 18 years of matches.

Based on 2 matches against Israel and Albania? The cold hard facts are that since we switched to a 4 under Berti we have qualified for nothing.

We couldn't play with a 3 under Craig Brown's players and we still can't.

Fed up saying this, but you cant base what formation to use in such a simplistic manner as what has happened over the last 20 years.

We have a core of players just now at a young enough age to build a side that should/could be the main stay of our team for the next five/six years Playing them out of position is far too much of a gamble.

Regarding Robertson, your more than likely right that he could play in midfield, but should Scotland experiment with the possibility when we know exactly what he can do at left back. We need to have what few international class players we have playing in their usual positions. 

Can you remember the last time we had a squad as strong as this? We should show some self belief. 

5 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Fed up saying this, but you cant base what formation to use in such a simplistic manner as what has happened over the last 20 years.

We have a core of players just now at a young enough age to build a side that should/could be the main stay of our team for the next five/six years Playing them out of position is far too much of a gamble.

Regarding Robertson, your more than likely right that he could play in midfield, but should Scotland experiment with the possibility when we know exactly what he can do at left back. We need to have what few international class players we have playing in their usual positions. 

Can you remember the last time we had a squad as strong as this? We should show some self belief. 

That's a longer way of saying what I said, the guy jist doesn't get it.

2 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

I think there would still be space for them. But I'd also like the option of bringing on a lad who is lighting up the EPL with a top half team!

"Lighting up" is wee bit strong. And West Ham are only in ninth place on goal difference, take a look at the table, it's very tight between them Watford, Leicester, Bournemouth and Brighton.

A run of good form and Newcastle could be in the top half and I still wouldn't call up Ritchie who is a disgrace. 

Snoddy is one of my favourite players from recent years, he was one of the select few from the Levein and Strachan years who could actually do something, but I don't think he's got much left to give and besides the last couple of matches suggest that we might just have accidentally stumbled upon a decent system that doesn't need him anymore. 

Just now, ParisInAKilt said:

3313 with Forrest playing the Messi role. 

I think bonny78 has hacked your account mate.

8 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

"Lighting up" is wee bit strong. And West Ham are only in ninth place on goal difference, take a look at the table, it's very tight between them Watford, Leicester, Bournemouth and Brighton.

A run of good form and Newcastle could be in the top half and I still wouldn't call up Ritchie who is a disgrace. 

Snoddy is one of my favourite players from recent years, he was one of the select few from the Levein and Strachan years who could actually do something, but I don't think he's got much left to give and besides the last couple of matches suggest that we might just have accidentally stumbled upon a decent system that doesn't need him anymore. 

I shit you not, watching MOTD last night and when Snoddy banged in that screamer my Christmas tree lit up like a.......... Christmas tree.

Also, 10th is still top half. There are a lot of teams that could be in the top half, but West Ham actually are, and Snoddy has been fantastic for them over the last 5 games. Who knows what he'll be like come March though.

23 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

We all need a little bit of Bonny at times 

There was a couple of situations in the second half where Robertson was up against the last defender and would have been through at goal.I was just willing him to go and try and beat them but he chose to pass both times I think.nothing wrong with that of course but if he starts beating the last man  he's going to be at an even higher level, just getting better and better. Can't take corners though.

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I think with over 100 epl games over 20 caps he is one over 25 that would be worth a place in the squad even if not worth a start. It's the likes of McKay Steven, Shinnie and Russel  who should be replaced with some  younger players. 

28 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I think with over 100 epl games over 20 caps he is one over 25 that would be worth a place in the squad even if not worth a start. It's the likes of McKay Steven, Shinnie and Russel  who should be replaced with some  younger players. 

Alright then who are we dropping then for Snodgrass to get in the starting XI ? Ryan Christie or Stuart Armstrong ? No way in hell does either of those two deserve to be dropped.

If we're going to call up Snodgrass because of his experience, because he tried hard when playing for us and because he's a nice guy and all that then why not just bring back Darrren Fletcher and Kenny Miller too whilst we're at it ? See that's how silly this can get. Only Alan McGregor and Jon McLaughlin would be an exception to this.

On your point about Johnny Russell and Graeme Shinnie, they will never be regular starters but they can both play a couple of different positions and are good options for the bench. Whilst GMS would be the first to admit that he's only in there because of a large injury crisis.

Whilst we are at it, we need to call time on Craig Gordon's international career. Yes, we all love him and appreciate some heroic performances of his in the past but he is in alarming decline. I don't have confidence in him anymore to play for us in a big game without making a costly mistake. There are other promising alternatives to him such as Liam Kelly, Zander Clark and Craig MacGillivray.

We should always have a couple of young un's in the senior team and never be sentimental about ditching the old guard. 

Scotland must never again end up a Dad's Army international team that's hurriedly having to blood a dozen or so new young players ahead of a qualification campaign.

Edited by ErsatzThistle