Scottish Players in Action 18/19 - Page 72 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in Action 18/19

PASTA Mick

3 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Is it out of the question for Shankland to be called up while playing in the Scottish championship? 

If he's good enough, then there can be no harm. I know a few clubs have been looking at him; I think Swansea and Rangers have been, so he may not be in the Championship come the next squad selection. He'd certainly be worth taking a look at given his record at Ayr.

1 hour ago, Chripper said:

It's nice to see him doing well. He's second highest scorer in the league (last time I checked), hopefully McLeish is taking note. If Harper's still in the Malaga first team come our next matches, he should be called up.

Close...he’s =33rd top scorer in the league. 3 goals and 1 assist from 13 starts.

He’ll probably creep this up to 7 or 8 goals by March. This might take him into contention but will still be behind McBurnie, Fletcher, Naismith and Griffiths. 

Think he’ll need to up his contribution a little before he can be called up. 

1 hour ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Close...he’s =33rd top scorer in the league. 3 goals and 1 assist from 13 starts.

He’ll probably creep this up to 7 or 8 goals by March. This might take him into contention but will still be behind McBurnie, Fletcher, Naismith and Griffiths. 

Well spotted. I meant second top scorer for Malaga. :)

His goal ratio is 1 in 3. Fletcher's career ratio is 1 in 4, and it's expect Naismith's to be the same. I'd definitely call Harper up as he's playing in an equal standard to any of the strikers you mentioned.

1 hour ago, Clyde1998 said:

Tom McIntyre making his debut for Reading today at centre-back - just turned twenty.

Another centre back is always welcome.

1 hour ago, bigfingers said:

Is it out of the question for Shankland to be called up while playing in the Scottish championship? 

it wouldn't bother me at all. McLeish should be looking at Shankland.

Watch out for the frantic teeth nashing from the press and the idiotic twitter moaners if he is called up - "whit's an Ayr player doing in the Scotland team, this is not good enough" - oh do fuck off .........

The last Ayr Utd player capped for Scotland was Johnny Doyle in 1975.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

4 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Watch out for the frantic teeth nashing from the press and the idiotic twitter moaners if he is called up - "whit's an Ayr player doing in the Scotland team, this is not good enough" - oh do fuck off .........

If they are good enough, call them up regardless who they play for..

2 hours ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Tbf I don't think Harper is a goalscoring striker, he can create and score but won't score thirty a season. If he keeps playing well he should be in the squad definitely.

39 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I don't mind him being called up but it is important to bear in mind the standard of the Scottish championship isnt the best and it would be better to see how he does at a higher level before calling him up. Hopefully he gets a move to a higher level soon.

43 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Tbf I don't think Harper is a goalscoring striker, he can create and score but won't score thirty a season. If he keeps playing well he should be in the squad definitely.

Correct. He's what I would class as a false number 9.

Also, if he's playing regularly in La Liga then he's playing in a better league than all of our other players.

3 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Doing superbly well at a poor level. Needs to step up into either the Scottish Premiership or English Championship before he will be considered, I would imagine.

15 hours ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Another win for Hamburg. Looking more and more likely Bates will be in the Bundesliga next season. Very exciting.

I really hope he is, and Harper is in La Liga, and both playing regularly. However, I have a horrible feeling they will be replaced by new signings and benched, or sold to an English Championship side. 

43 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

I really hope he is, and Harper is in La Liga, and both playing regularly. However, I have a horrible feeling they will be replaced by new signings and benched, or sold to an English Championship side. 

Bates is too good for the championship 

17 minutes ago, Chripper said:

He did well, his usual combative performance.

75 minutes into the Liverpool vs United match. Robertson has been sensational. Definitely my MOTM.

Robertson, Fraser and Armstrong are definitely players that can push us on to big things imo, add in a few Celtic players like Forrest and Tierney etc and we have a reasonably young team to build on. Just need to get them managed well which hopefully McLeish can do.