Scottish Players in Action 18/19 - Page 70 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in Action 18/19

PASTA Mick

3 minutes ago, JECK said:

I like the idea of McGregor heading down there, he's at a good age and plenty big match experience, however Bournemouth kind of puts you off. 

8th in the Premier League at the moment, a young team that players attacking football and has taken a few big scalps. McGregor would do well to move there.

And they are in a much better place than those English teams who in the last twenty five years have provided us with many Scotland internationals such as Blackburn, Derby, Birmingham, Middlesbrough, Norwich, Nott'm Forest, Wigan, West Brom and Sunderland.

10 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

8th in the Premier League at the moment, a young team that players attacking football and has taken a few big scalps. McGregor would do well to move there.

And they are in a much better place than those English teams who in the last twenty five years have provided us with many Scotland internationals such as Blackburn, Derby, Birmingham, Middlesbrough, Norwich, Nott'm Forest, Wigan, West Brom and Sunderland.

Bournemouth are not a bad option due to the reasons you stated but I would prefer he stayed at Celtic, it's good to have a starting line up with as many players playing at the same club imo as they are playing together every week. Also if Bournemouth lose 3 of their top players to bigger sides then they could be back to fighting relegation and then back in the championship. Look at Southampton and Armstrong, is it a better option to have swapped Celtic for Southampton?

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

Bournemouth are not a bad option due to the reasons you stated but I would prefer he stayed at Celtic, it's good to have a starting line up with as many players playing at the same club imo as they are playing together every week. Also if Bournemouth lose 3 of their top players to bigger sides then they could be back to fighting relegation and then back in the championship. Look at Southampton and Armstrong, is it a better option to have swapped Celtic for Southampton?

In answer to the Armstrong question, I would say yes. He looks better than ever for Scotland and has started to do well in the EPL. He may show enough to play for a better team there or elsewhere. 

30 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

In answer to the Armstrong question, I would say yes. He looks better than ever for Scotland and has started to do well in the EPL. He may show enough to play for a better team there or elsewhere. 

He played just as well for Scotland while he was at Celtic, his last two performances for Scotland are not down to him moving to the EPL. If Southampton do go down then who says he will definitely get bought by another EPL club. Even if he does it might just be another relegation battler. Things are starting to go well for him at saints now but he's still playing in a poor team that will likely get relegated  whereas at Celtic he was winning trophies and playing European football under a manager who helped him develop. 

5 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

He played just as well for Scotland while he was at Celtic, his last two performances for Scotland are not down to him moving to the EPL. If Southampton do go down then who says he will definitely get bought by another EPL club. Even if he does it might just be another relegation battler. Things are starting to go well for him at saints now but he's still playing in a poor team that will likely get relegated  whereas at Celtic he was winning trophies and playing European football under a manager who helped him develop. 

Armstrong is playing against better opposition down there which will help him develop. I'd rather our players played at the highest level possible, as much as I dislike the EPL it's where are players are better off as long as they get game time 

6 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Armstrong is playing against better opposition down there which will help him develop. I'd rather our players played at the highest level possible, as much as I dislike the EPL it's where are players are better off as long as they get game time 

Yeh I agree to a certain extent but my point was that it is good til have alot of our players playing together every week. Having 5 or 6 of our first team playing every week can be beneficial to the team. Also I feel it's not necessarily a better move to play for a team that easily could end up in the championship next season. Either way I would be happy with both outcomes regarding Callum McGregor but I don't really see Bournemouth as a far better option than Celtic, same goes for Armstrong and Southampton.

3 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yeh I agree to a certain extent but my point was that it is good til have alot of our players playing together every week. Having 5 or 6 of our first team playing every week can be beneficial to the team. Also I feel it's not necessarily a better move to play for a team that easily could end up in the championship next season. Either way I would be happy with both outcomes regarding Callum McGregor but I don't really see Bournemouth as a far better option than Celtic, same goes for Armstrong and Southampton.

The ideal scenario for me would be for Rodgers to get a big move hopefully sooner rather than later to a English club and in the following window get the band back together and plunder Celtic for McGregor, Tierney, Forrest and sign Armstrong from Southampton 

12 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Before the season starts, Arguably half the teams in the EPL could end up in the championship. If Celtic were playing CL football every year I'd agree Bournemouth aren't a better option but whether we like it or not teams like Bournemouth are a better draw for multiple reasons now. Imo the only reason Celtic would be more favourable would be if the player is a fan of Celtic or just wants to win trophies. 

8 hours ago, JECK said:

The ideal scenario for me would be for Rodgers to get a big move hopefully sooner rather than later to a English club and in the following window get the band back together and plunder Celtic for McGregor, Tierney, Forrest and sign Armstrong from Southampton 

If Armstrong was still at Celtic, Christie would probably be on the bench.

5 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Not yet a Scotland player, but I predict Connor McLennan may well be. He’s some size and appears to have great natural ability and a bit of pace. Keep an eye on him. A slight concern is his manager doesn’t seem too sure where to play him. 

Who?

44 minutes ago, macy37 said:

Who?

Aberdeen attacking player who can play on either wing, behind the striker or up top.

He came on against Celtic in the League Cup final. First time I saw him, he's certainly a box of tricks. I was impressed. Let's hope he can string a few matches together for Aberdeen as he does look good.

5 hours ago, Chripper said:

Aberdeen attacking player who can play on either wing, behind the striker or up top.

He came on against Celtic in the League Cup final. First time I saw him, he's certainly a box of tricks. I was impressed. Let's hope he can string a few matches together for Aberdeen as he does look good.

Looked positive from what I saw.. A bit ago I posted a list of young players I was watching out for and it was noted how few attackers there were. Starting to change (hopefully).

39 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Looked positive from what I saw.. A bit ago I posted a list of young players I was watching out for and it was noted how few attackers there were. Starting to change (hopefully).

He's certainly a box of tricks from what I saw. I'd say the same about Callum (sp?) Morrison at Hearts. It's weird how all of a sudden we're producing a few decent wingers (Morrison, Johnston, Middleton, McLennan). Let's just hope they improve.

Edit: He's on the bench. 

Edited by Chripper

24 minutes ago, Tartan_McCole said:

Judging by Rodgers press conference today, I don't think we'll be seeing Leigh Griffiths again for a wee while. Reading between the lines it would seem like mental health issues.

see the new thread - its gambling issues according to the mirror

18 hours ago, Tartan_McCole said:

Aye, it's hardly been a secret he's a gambler. I thought it might have been something a bit more seeing as the other stuff is fairly well known.

Addictions are often associated in a vicious cycle with poor mental health. I hope he gets the support he needs to fight it, and gets fit and healthy again soon. 

4 hours ago, mrniaboc said:

Addictions are often associated in a vicious cycle with poor mental health. I hope he gets the support he needs to fight it, and gets fit and healthy again soon. 

Agreed. Lets hope he comes back stronger physically and mentally. He really is the most naturally gifted finisher we've had for a long time.

The curse of the Scottish Strikers continues.