Scottish Players in Action 18/19 - Page 67 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in Action 18/19

PASTA Mick

1 minute ago, Squirrelhumper said:

A lot happier than I would be than if my club merged with Ayr!

Out of interest, who do you support and do you attend regularly?

Hamilton, and I'd say semi-regularly. Have done since I was 15.

Would I welcome a merger with Motherwell and Airdrie if it meant that there would be a 1% chance of toppling the Old Firm?

Damn right I would.

13 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Would I welcome a merger with Motherwell and Airdrie if it meant that there would be a 1% chance of toppling the Old Firm?

Damn right I would.

What you got against Albion Rovers?

17 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Damn right I would.

Don't worry mate. We'd merge with Celtic, Queen's Park, and the Jags. You still wouldn't have a chance.

2 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

Don't worry mate. We'd merge with Celtic, Queen's Park, and the Jags. You still wouldn't have a chance.

Do know why I'm still using the "we" for Rangers to be honest? My order of support is:

1) Scotland
2) Rangers + any team with a Scotland international (so, Celtic?!?!?!)
3) The Jags (been to more matches at Firhill than Ibrox in the last 10 years)

But still, the idea of any team I support merging with any other makes me sick to my stomach haha. Football!

3 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Aye, they certainly did in 2005 when we played in the San Siro.

Think it was Atalanta and Verona or something.

Was quite amusing, although was dodgy as fuck hanging over the 2nd tier watching it down below!

In an attempt to see just how far of topic we can get I had a bet on Atalanta against Napoli  last night  and watched it on Paddy Power. Never seen two teams give the ball away so much, it was comical . Napoli won in the end because they gave the ball away in less dangerous areas of the pitch.

To get the thread back on topic Matt Phillips got MoM last night against Brentford, but nobody want's to hear that..

If you look above, I work with Dave Allan's son (Dave is also a scout for Scotland and is Scottish himself). He said to to me today that his dad got a thank you as Charlie also sees him as a mentor. He also said that his dad is of the opinion that Charlie is fully committed to Scotland, his family is a strong influence and looking at his twitter page, seems to be a Rangers fan

Edited by Bobby Russell's Lovechild

13 minutes ago, JECK said:

Fraser scores. Wonder if a move could be on the cards soon.

I guess if a move was on the cards within the EPL it would have to be to one of the big six? 

Which ones are more likely to not be biased against his stature and nationality? Man U or maybe Arsenal? Man City seems a bit far fetched.

6 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

I'd love him to stay. Think it's the perfect club for him, especially if Wilson stays. He's thriving there and who knows what they can do.

Yeah, they have an insane goal/assist record as a pair. If only Callum Wilson was as Scottish as his first name. 

1 hour ago, bigfingers said:

Snoddy 2 assists! 

Great to see. Interesting Pellegrini straight away told him to lose some weight if he wanted to feature in pre season. That's the difference working under a guy who's managed Real Madrid and Steve Bruce as Snoddy would've probably fallen on the floor laughing if he was told that last season!

17 hours ago, Chripper said:

Damn right I would.

You are properly off your head, if you think that a Motherwell merged with Airdries 300 fans, and Hamiltons 300 fans, to become some sort of Lanarkshire United would have any chance of toppling the Old Firm. I for one, as a Motherwell fan, wouldn't support that team, unless it played at Fir Park, in Claret and Amber and the Airdrie and Hamilton zoomers were housed in a different stand from the normal folk. 

I can understand the possibility of Clubs sharing a stadium when they play in  the same town/city, such as the Dundee/United, but the thought that a merger between the two clubs to form Dundee City, would make them doubly strong is utterly fanciful.

14 minutes ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

You are properly off your head, if you think that a Motherwell merged with Airdries 300 fans, and Hamiltons 300 fans, to become some sort of Lanarkshire United would have any chance of toppling the Old Firm. I for one, as a Motherwell fan, wouldn't support that team, unless it played at Fir Park, in Claret and Amber and the Airdrie and Hamilton zoomers were housed in a different stand from the normal folk

I can understand the possibility of Clubs sharing a stadium when they play in  the same town/city, such as the Dundee/United, but the thought that a merger between the two clubs to form Dundee City, would make them doubly strong is utterly fanciful.

How awfully grown up.

Good day.

18 hours ago, Chripper said:

Damn right I would.

No offence but you haven't exactly got many fans to lose as it is so might be worth a punt but having watched Killie for over 30 years, home and away, I'd hate to see us merge with anyone.

As for stadiums, same point applies. I've stood/sat in the exact same point for 3 decades, you can't buy that kind of stuff.

Merging three teams isn't going to increase your chances of winning stuff, the exact opposite IMO. What the combined home supports of Airdrie and Hamilton just now, 2000-2500 max? You'd be lucky to keep 500 of those if they merged with Motherwell!

14 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

No offence but you haven't exactly got many fans to lose as it is so might be worth a punt but having watched Killie for over 30 years, home and away, I'd hate to see us merge with anyone.

As for stadiums, same point applies. I've stood/sat in the exact same point for 3 decades, you can't buy that kind of stuff.

Merging three teams isn't going to increase your chances of winning stuff, the exact opposite IMO. What the combined home supports of Airdrie and Hamilton just now, 2000-2500 max? You'd be lucky to keep 500 of those if they merged with Motherwell!

I agree with all of that.

But it's not just about targeting the existing fans, it's about capturing the imagination of the people who either don't attend matches or they're completely lost interest as they're sick of the anti-competitive nature of the top flight of Scottish football. And by the way, I can certainly understand how fans in Scotland would lost interest in football. (Personally, I'm sick of the back teeth of Celtic and wish they'd play in the Irish league.)

With the right amount of investment, etc, there could be a model set in place that would be able to rock the establishment. Why does it need amalgamation? Because towns and cities in Scotland are tiny, the more teams they have in them the more chances of the fan-bases being splintered.

It's just a thought. 

22 minutes ago, Chripper said:

I agree with all of that.

But it's not just about targeting the existing fans, it's about capturing the imagination of the people who either don't attend matches or they're completely lost interest as they're sick of the anti-competitive nature of the top flight of Scottish football. And by the way, I can certainly understand how fans in Scotland would lost interest in football. (Personally, I'm sick of the back teeth of Celtic and wish they'd play in the Irish league.)

With the right amount of investment, etc, there could be a model set in place that would be able to rock the establishment. Why does it need amalgamation? Because towns and cities in Scotland are tiny, the more teams they have in them the more chances of the fan-bases being splintered.

It's just a thought. 

Killie had 6,000+ there on Saturday, if we merged with Ayr I could see us getting anymore than say Livingston get.

This isn't America, you can't just merge teams and form a francise.

It would take decades to built up any sort of solid supporter base.

Total non starter.

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Killie had 6,000+ there on Saturday, if we merged with Ayr I could see us getting anymore than say Livingston get.

This isn't America, you can't just merge teams and form a francise.

It would take decades to built up any sort of solid supporter base.

Total non starter.

That's a question right there, why do the third best team in Scotland only attract 6k ? Ayrshire has a population of what? 400k?

Are you telling me if (Let's play devil's advocate) the Ayrshire teams combine and bring in major investments, build a top stadium, build proper state-of-the-art training and youth facilities, begin bringing through top young players along with buying good players, are you trying to tell me that this team wouldn't attract more than Livingston?

I know that it's stretching the imagination slightly, but still.

2 hours ago, Chripper said:

That's a question right there, why do the third best team in Scotland only attract 6k ? Ayrshire has a population of what? 400k?

Are you telling me if (Let's play devil's advocate) the Ayrshire teams combine and bring in major investments, build a top stadium, build proper state-of-the-art training and youth facilities, begin bringing through top young players along with buying good players, are you trying to tell me that this team wouldn't attract more than Livingston?

I know that it's stretching the imagination slightly, but still.

Kilmarnock has a population of 40k, it's 20 miles or so from ibrox/Parkhead.

Getting rid of bigotry in Scotland would boost crowds more than any pie in the sky merging of teams would do.

See when you say build a top stadium, ours hold 18,000 as it is and is relatively new. When we won the league we had average crowds of 10.000 or so. That's because most folk in this country support two teams largely based on religion. That won't change if you merge Ayr/Killie.

Why would merging these two teams attract investment over a team like Killie that is established in the top flight? Why would fans suddenly appear for a made up team when it's hard enough to attract fans for established teams who've a decent supporter base?

I'm sorry but your argument is pie in the sky nonsense. Let's do away with all the local derbies just to see if it might work.

Utter tripe.

1 minute ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Kilmarnock has a population of 40k, it's 20 miles or so from ibrox/Parkhead.

Getting rid of bigotry in Scotland would boost crowds more than any pie in the sky merging of teams would do.

See when you say build a top stadium, ours hold 18,000 as it is and is relatively new. When we won the league we had average crowds of 10.000 or so. That's because most folk in this country support two teams largely based on religion. That won't change if you merge Ayr/Killie.

Why would merging these two teams attract investment over a team like Killie that is established in the top flight? Why would fans suddenly appear for a made up team when it's hard enough to attract fans for established teams who've a decent supporter base?

I'm sorry but your argument is pie in the sky nonsense. Let's do away with all the local derbies just to see if it might work.

Utter tripe.

Bigotry and hate. Most of the teams in Scotland sing deplorable songs. Have you ever sung "We are the Killie boys"? Nothing loving about that wee ditty. Yikes.

"Pie in the sky"? That's the problem with Scottish people; they're too pessimistic and too afraid of change. "Nah. Change is pie in the sky, so why even try?" Who cares if it's pie in the sky? 20 odds years if someone told you that Manchester City would be the dominant force in England, would you call it "pie in the sky"? 

Oh, you'd be surprised how many fans would come out of the woodwork if success was on the horizon.

Well, I'd say get rid of all the songs about being up to the knees in blood of other human beings, that might be a start.

Utter tripe is better than utter hatred.