Scottish Players in Action 18/19 - Page 65 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in Action 18/19

PASTA Mick

7 hours ago, Chripper said:

That's the thing, take out Man United, Man City, Chelsea, Tottenham, Arsenal and Liverpool the rest of the league is just an extension of the English Championship.

The EPL is massively overrated.

Head-for-head, La Liga is the best league in the world.

I've been to a few La Liga games (although not loads so perhaps harsh of me) and they were all utter shite. Outside the top few teams in all the big leagues the standard drops away quickly. 

On 12/1/2018 at 8:37 PM, Rohan said:

What impresses me the most with him other than his goal scoring is his link up play. He's obviously realised that is was the last chance saloon for full time football, he's had to work hard and obviously Ayr are playing in a style that suits him. He'll go on to bigger and better things however if Ayr get promoted then another season at San Somerset would work for both parties 

Don’t be silly. 

1 No way are Ayr getting promoted

2 They’ll be very lucky to hold onto him past January let alone another season after this.  His contract’s up in the summer, he’ll be gone like snaw aff a dyke

I know one of the English papers had Swansea buying him and loaning him back but if somebody outbids Swansea then he’ll be gone. 

At least I hope so....

Edited by adamntg

12 hours ago, Chripper said:

That's the thing, take out Man United, Man City, Chelsea, Tottenham, Arsenal and Liverpool the rest of the league is just an extension of the English Championship.

The EPL is massively overrated.

Head-for-head, La Liga is the best league in the world.

Does the argument between EPL and La Liga make any sense here? When it comes to Scottish players in action, we don't have any in La Liga, so surely EPL has to be considered the best standard we have players competing at. Though I do think the top 2 or 3 Scottish teams could handle themselves against a lot of teams in the EPL, but I still would rather a good Scottish player getting tested in the EPL rather than having a relative stroll in the park as a big fish in a small pond in Scotland.

Ideally the best Scottish players will start to get moves to La Liga instead, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

12 hours ago, mrniaboc said:

Does the argument between EPL and La Liga make any sense here? When it comes to Scottish players in action, we don't have any in La Liga, so surely EPL has to be considered the best standard we have players competing at. Though I do think the top 2 or 3 Scottish teams could handle themselves against a lot of teams in the EPL, but I still would rather a good Scottish player getting tested in the EPL rather than having a relative stroll in the park as a big fish in a small pond in Scotland.

Ideally the best Scottish players will start to get moves to La Liga instead, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

Well, the debate came up just how good the EPL really is, so yes. .

14 hours ago, adamntg said:

Don’t be silly. 

1 No way are Ayr getting promoted

2 They’ll be very lucky to hold onto him past January let alone another season after this.  His contract’s up in the summer, he’ll be gone like snaw aff a dyke

I know one of the English papers had Swansea buying him and loaning him back but if somebody outbids Swansea then he’ll be gone. 

At least I hope so....

They've a better chance than the dross you watch.

With or without Shankland.

22 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

They've a better chance than the dross you watch.

With or without Shankland.

I hope Aye go up along with United. That would leave some tasty fixtures in the top league if Dundee managed to stay up.

Old firm, Edinburgh derby, Dundee derby, Ayrshire derby, Motherwell v Hamilton and then you've got hearts v Celtic, Aberdeen v rangers, hibs v rangers. All good fixtures with added spice.

It's looking like the Dundee derby will be in the championship instead

30 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I hope Aye go up along with United. That would leave some tasty fixtures in the top league if Dundee managed to stay up.

Old firm, Edinburgh derby, Dundee derby, Ayrshire derby, Motherwell v Hamilton and then you've got hearts v Celtic, Aberdeen v rangers, hibs v rangers. All good fixtures with added spice.

United up is great for Saints too. They always pack out McD. 

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

For all that to happen, the Buddies would need to get relegated, so ram your crappy idea up your jacksy! :P

1 hour ago, LewisEDI said:

he parried a soft shot straight off tom boyd against brazil! 

I’m not sure what game you were at mate but Cafu’s shot came off Leighton’s face/shoulder before hitting Boyd. It was from more or less point blank range and he didn’t know much about it. He was very unlucky I thought.  

Leighton also had at least 3 or 4 good saves. I remember a very good one from a Ronaldo shot anyway. 

4 hours ago, Chripper said:

Well, the debate came up just how good the EPL really is, so yes. .

I see what you're saying, but my point was that the EPL is almost certainly the best league that has Scots playing in it. So it's fair enough to point out that La Liga, or Bundesliga, or Serie A or whatever might be better quality than the EPL, but with no Scots playing in those leagues that argument cannot be used as a justification to discount the merits of a player who's playing well in the EPL. 

Say you've got two children: Child 1 is at Glasgow Caledonian Uni studying business management, and Child 2 is in Barlinnie for mugging old ladies. It doesn't make sense to argue that Child 1 isn't the most clever of your two children because they aren't studying law at Harvard. 

27 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

I see what you're saying, but my point was that the EPL is almost certainly the best league that has Scots playing in it. So it's fair enough to point out that La Liga, or Bundesliga, or Serie A or whatever might be better quality than the EPL, but with no Scots playing in those leagues that argument cannot be used as a justification to discount the merits of a player who's playing well in the EPL. 

Say you've got two children: Child 1 is at Glasgow Caledonian Uni studying business management, and Child 2 is in Barlinnie for mugging old ladies. It doesn't make sense to argue that Child 1 isn't the most clever of your two children because they aren't studying law at Harvard. 

Agreed.

For the record, though, I'd much rather our players play in La Liga, Serie A, etc, than the EPL.

The EPL is for generally for foreign players who have learned in their homeland, it's not really a place where players grow and develop. 

2 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Agreed.

For the record, though, I'd much rather our players play in La Liga, Serie A, etc, than the EPL.

The EPL is for generally for foreign players who have learned in their homeland, it's not really a place where players grow and develop. 

I'd love that, and there's an outside chance we could have a player in La Liga, Serie A, and the Bundesliga this time next year! Though those guys will probably end up moving to EPL or Championship teams...

4 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Agreed.

This. I feel that the continental leagues are much better for developing technical skills, which are vitally important at international level, than the English league. Having a few of our players in these leagues would be great for us.

5 hours ago, Chripper said:

How anyone can question Leighton's ability is beyond me.

Purely in a Scotland shirt, Leighton was better than Goram.

Plus Goram ditched us prior to the 98 World Cup because he wasn't going to be No 1, so that gives Leighton the extra edge, for me.

Goram better than Leighton for club and country.

20 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I’m not sure what game you were at mate but Cafu’s shot came off Leighton’s face/shoulder before hitting Boyd. It was from more or less point blank range and he didn’t know much about it. He was very unlucky I thought.  

Leighton also had at least 3 or 4 good saves. I remember a very good one from a Ronaldo shot anyway. 

apologies, i watched the goals again and you are correct, completely different than how i remembered it!