Scottish Players in Action 18/19 - Page 60 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in Action 18/19

PASTA Mick

22 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

I do now!

I’m glad I could be of service. 😂😂😂

Sadly, club football will always be viewed as more important than international football and the 5 day rule is rarely used. 

Ideally there would be no international call offs (except genuine injuries obviously) but sadly this isn’t the case. 

2 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Jack started for Rangers. 

McGinn is also likely to start for Villa tomorrow but he’s having a fitness test first.

Most players will pull out of an international squad with the slightest knock. Most of the time the players don’t even get a say. 

If it was the nations league final play off game

None of those that start this weekend would have pulled out

7 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Barrie McKay got his first for Swansea today and apparently played well. In the pecking order he's behind Fraser and maybe GMS, but good to have depth.

He’s got a lot of talent. He may end up playing more centrally as his career develops and so could be challenging for the Christie role. He scored a cracker a couple of weeks ago as well, although maybe it wasn’t a league game.

Edited by er yir macaroon

12 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Barrie McKay got his first for Swansea today and apparently played well. In the pecking order he's behind Fraser and maybe GMS, but good to have depth.

Probably not a good sign that he started on the bench for an awful Swansea side, though.

It's a funny one, our "wingers" are all inside forwards. You couldn't call any of them out-and-out wingers, apart from GMS. 

1 hour ago, Tartan Chris said:

McKay was doing really well this time last year for Forest but then oddly went out of favour.

Anyway Armstrong finally gets a start for Southampton and scores a cracker. Cairney also had his best game of the season.

Is Cairney interested in playing for us? We’ll need to stop mentioning him in this thread if the doesn’t turn up for a squad soon. 

59 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

McKay was doing really well this time last year for Forest but then oddly went out of favour.

Anyway Armstrong finally gets a start for Southampton and scores a cracker. Cairney also had his best game of the season.

It wasn't really that odd. Karanka is a Mourinho clone, and that being said, he wants a particular style of footballer (tall, strong, defensive, high work-rate), this is pretty much why McKay fell out of favour. McKay is too much of a maverick.

9 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Is Cairney interested in playing for us? We’ll need to stop mentioning him in this thread if the doesn’t turn up for a squad soon. 

Don't know where all this doubt about him comes from. I don't think he has pulled out any more times than Fraser has he? He has zero chance of being selected for England though. We need to keep him as cover, though IMO he shouldn't start ahead of Christie now. W'eve not many 'No. 10 ' types.

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

Don't know where all this doubt about him comes from. I don't think he has pulled out any more times than Fraser has he? He has zero chance of being selected for England though. We need to keep him as cover, though IMO he shouldn't start ahead of Christie now. W'eve not many 'No. 10 ' types.

I agree. There was one rumour about England that Southgate denied and then he has been injured. We'll see over the next few games.

Seems like he did well yesterday again. As been said before I'm extremely happy with a midfield choice of Forrest, Fraser, Armstrong, McGinn, Christie, McGregor and Cairney. If Cairney wasn't to feature it'd be a shame but we have other options. There's 5 more years of that bunch in their prime and there will be challengers to add to that. Ferguson, Cochrane, Gilmour, Morrison, Middleton, Johnston........ 🏆😉

Edited by SkyBlueScot

5 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

I’m not suggesting Cairney wants to play for England. He might not want to play international football at all.

It is a bit odd that he got his first call up to the senior team over a year and a half ago and still doesn’t have a competitive cap. 

I could be wrong but hasn’t he withdrawn from every squad this year apart from Costa Rica?

He was genuinely injured for the games in September I think but I’m pretty sure he played for Fulham straight after the international break in October and he played yesterday obviously.  

He doesn’t seem that committed to us is all I’m suggesting.

12 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

Haha yeah he's on fire this season. McLeish should be on the phone pleading with him to come out of retirement. 

I was watching the game and it was the commentators who said that's what the villa fans call him. A season or 2 back he was written off. Not his biggest fan but he is playing really well. Don't think he would return to the international team, although asking him the question wouldn't do any harm. Maybe the question has already been asked? Our loss at the moment.

3 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Whether Cairney wants to play for us is irrelevant - he's way down the pecking order.

I'm not sure he's that far down, is he? Maybe behind Christie at the moment. Who else? Would be a decent lad to bring on off the bench at least. If he's keen. 

1 hour ago, SteveMcD said:

Came on with 15 mins to go. Didn't have a lot to do, but probably should've done better at Union's equaliser. Bottom video on the link.

https://www.flashscores.co.uk/match/pbkF9LiJ/#video

Didn't think he was too much to blame for that second goal. His team mates seem to let the player waltz by after he misses the header. Also watched the Motherwell v Aberdeen game and it's reassuring to see that McKenna wasn't directly at fault for any of the goals. The third he could maybe of done slightly better but considine(I think) boots the ball of his own player and it lands perfectly for the Motherwell player.