Scottish Players in Action 18/19 - Page 54 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in Action 18/19

PASTA Mick

On 11/5/2018 at 9:55 PM, SWMM82 said:

Raheem Sterling went 27 caps without a goal for an England team with far greater attacking options. 

Teams often double up on wingers, especially when they’ve so got so much pace. Should give other attackers a bit more freedom. 

Sterling is a far superior player to James Forrest ffs, and he probably had a couple of assists and managed to cross the ball to someone, maybe even run past someone, in those games. 

12 hours ago, Scotland Ever More said:

I remember plenty of folk on here saying Griffiths wasn't international class and could only do it for Celtic.

In fact, it was the same patter used. Only has X amount of goals in X amount of caps yet now he's everyone's first pick. Go figure 

I don't remember that at all, most were desperate for him to play.

Just a though, could Tierney play holding mid? Would maybe give us a wee bit more bite in the middle.

17 minutes ago, Kirk said:

Just a though, could Tierney play holding mid? Would maybe give us a wee bit more bite in the middle.

Hard to say when all I've ever known him to do is bomb down the wings (other than a brief appearance at RB and CB) but I really don't like the idea of shoehorning players into other positions just to have them on the field.

12 hours ago, Bino's said:

As for Christie

Hopefully club managers will take note, they might be surprised what their young Scottish players will produce and become if they actually give them a chance

Managers in Scotland are terrified of experimenting with young Scottish players.

The top league consists of 12 teams, two or three defeats in a row will probably mean that you'll drop 5/6/7 places, thus meaning that managers will persist with tried and tested (older) players.

Once the top league in Scotland is expanded to 16/18 teams we'll begin to see managers giving youth at chance, because as it stands, they can't afford to.

7 minutes ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Hard to say when all I've ever known him to do is bomb down the wings (other than a brief appearance at RB and CB) but I really don't like the idea of shoehorning players into other positions just to have them on the field.

The only other alternative is leaving either Robertson or Tierney on the bench.

11 hours ago, Chripper said:

Managers in Scotland are terrified of experimenting with young Scottish players.

The top league consists of 12 teams, two or three defeats in a row will probably mean that you'll drop 5/6/7 places, thus meaning that managers will persist with tried and tested (older) players.

Once the top league in Scotland is expanded to 16/18 teams we'll begin to see managers giving youth at chance, because as it stands, they can't afford to.

But there's often only one team relegated

And for most no chance of any title

There's a bit of scope there to take the chance and use your youth systems

11 hours ago, Chripper said:

Well, that's what I've been saying for the past few days. Tierney or Robertson.

I think Tierney would be more suited as we have used him at centre half, Robertson to me would be wasted in the centre. Better player and better delivery etc from the wing.

11 hours ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Me neither really but want them both playing and I'd rather have Tierney in the midfield than centre half

Thought Christie was brilliant on Thursday night. Had his best ever game for Celtic in a high pressure game against a high level of opposition. 

These are the sort of games you need your international players to perform in. Read that he made the most tackles of any player playing in the Europa league last week (10) and was obviously a threat going forward too. 

I’d like to see a midfield three of Christie, McGregor and McGinn. All three work hard, are mobile, and keep the ball well. 

The only other centre midfielders in the squad are McDonald (not on form, ponderous) and Armstrong (hasn’t been playing and isn’t as strong defensively). 

25 minutes ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Thought Christie was brilliant on Thursday night. Had his best ever game for Celtic in a high pressure game against a high level of opposition. 

These are the sort of games you need your international players to perform in. Read that he made the most tackles of any player playing in the Europa league last week (10) and was obviously a threat going forward too. 

I’d like to see a midfield three of Christie, McGregor and McGinn. All three work hard, are mobile, and keep the ball well. 

The only other centre midfielders in the squad are McDonald (not on form, ponderous) and Armstrong (hasn’t been playing and isn’t as strong defensively). 

I’m not too convinced Christie can be accommodated in a central three. I’d be more inclined to have have him as one of the two forwards if 3-5-2 or one of the wider players in a 4-5-1. I’d still keep Armstrong in the team, he’s a naturally athlete and has had enough game time fitness wise. 

34 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I’m not too convinced Christie can be accommodated in a central three. I’d be more inclined to have have him as one of the two forwards if 3-5-2 or one of the wider players in a 4-5-1. I’d still keep Armstrong in the team, he’s a naturally athlete and has had enough game time fitness wise. 

Celtic used him in a central 3 on Thursday. Rogic played ahead of him. We could play McGregor and McGinn deeper and Christie just ahead.

I’m a fan of Armstrong too, but can’t justify him starting without more minutes for his club. 

Hopefully he starts today (surely Southampton will make big changes today after conceding 6 last week!) and we can judge him a little better. 

7 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Our new number 9

I think he’ll start with Fletcher on Saturday, all going well result wise Patterson will come on for last 15/20 with a view to starting against Israel.

Patterson then starts against Israel, tucks a couple of goals and goes onto score 31 goals for his country as a centre forward.

Am I getting carried away?

6 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

Is that three in four now? Would certainly be worth giving him a go up to, given our lack of striking options.

So far yeah. Should be playing with Fletcher. We need to win games, 1 up top nae use 

Edited by McDange

22 minutes ago, Rab The Crab said:

I think he’ll start with Fletcher on Saturday, all going well result wise Patterson will come on for last 15/20 with a view to starting against Israel.

Patterson then starts against Israel, tucks a couple of goals and goes onto score 31 goals for his country as a centre forward.

Am I getting carried away?

Yes.

Lets be honest here (if you are watching the match) he had done nothing up until that moment. He was Johnny on the spot for the goal heading in a deflected cross unmarked from 4 yards out. Even the commentators have him tagged as a 'makeshift striker'. The fact that so many want him in speaks buckets on how desperate we are as supporters and how desperate Scotland are at present.

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes.

Lets be honest here (if you are watching the match) he had done nothing up until that moment. He was Johnny on the spot for the goal heading in a deflected cross unmarked from 4 yards out. Even the commentators have him tagged as a 'makeshift striker'. The fact that so many want him in speaks buckets on how desperate we are as supporters and how desperate Scotland are at present.

If he’s scoring lucky goals, I’ll take that all day long