Scottish Players in Action 18/19 - Page 53 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in Action 18/19

PASTA Mick

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

I don't care if I come across as a broken record but what has James Forrest done in Scotland jersey to justify a starting position? We've waiting 25 caps for him to show his celtic form, how long do we give him?

I'd play Christie instead of Armstrong and I would forget about Cairney, I think h is heads been turned with this talk of an England cap

Cairney will be the next one to excuse himself due to club commitments etc etc

1 minute ago, Scotland Ever More said:

I remember plenty of folk on here saying Griffiths wasn't international class and could only do it for Celtic.

In fact, it was the same patter used. Only has X amount of goals in X amount of caps yet now he's everyone's first pick. Go figure 

Since I am the only one being vocal about Forrest I assume this is what prompted your post, you won't find a post from me saying Griffiths wasn't international class, in fact I can't remember that kind of chat from many on here. I remember plenty wanting to give him some time but not forever

Griffiths also scored after 12 caps.............................Forrest is on cap number 25 next week and he's done the square root of fuck all

9 hours ago, SkyBlueScot said:

To be fair who has he left out so far? Tierney and McGregor have played every game, Forrest has been on the edge of the starting line up and nobody would have considered Christie until this purple patch. Who else is there?

Gordon/McGregor are at the same level so it doesn't really matter which one to choose and Brown's retired. 

As for Christie

Hopefully club managers will take note, they might be surprised what their young Scottish players will produce and become if they actually give them a chance

9 hours ago, SkyBlueScot said:

To be fair who has he left out so far? Tierney and McGregor have played every game, Forrest has been on the edge of the starting line up and nobody would have considered Christie until this purple patch. Who else is there?

Gordon/McGregor are at the same level so it doesn't really matter which one to choose and Brown's retired. 

Very defeatist to describe Christie’s form as a purple patch. A young player coming of age and establishing himself for his club. 

10 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Watched tonight’s game... thought mcgregor did ok in the holding role but not a great ball winner.  Tierney was good as ever and would be the one Celtic player I would def pick albeit at right back.

McGinn beside McGregor as the ball winner would do fine

45 minutes ago, Scotland Ever More said:

I remember plenty of folk on here saying Griffiths wasn't international class and could only do it for Celtic.

In fact, it was the same patter used. Only has X amount of goals in X amount of caps yet now he's everyone's first pick. Go figure 

I can only really mind Rossy being vocal about that. Most of us wanted him in ASAP but Strachan was still slavering pish about his lack of height defending corners 😏

As for Forrest, have to agree with vanderark. No goals and no assists in 25 caps speaks for itself. 

10 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Completely agree.   A traffic cone could do as much damage as Forrest has done for Scotland.  Christie has had a couple of decent games.  Tierney should be back up left back and first choice right back.  McGregor (c) is playing well and probably pushing for a start.  McGregor (a) is the better goalie.

On current form I don't think there's much between Robertson and Tierney, Robertson's form has been poor for a wee while now.

When he's in midfield for Scotland we try and play too much through him, he's not THAT good. He's a very good left back but a play maker he certainly is not.

Edited by Squirrelhumper

2 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Well actually it did. The problem was he did it a bit too late in the campaign and injuries / stubbornness stopped him doing it against Slovenia away.

Our good spell under Strachan came when Gordon, Tierney, Brown, Armstrong, Forrest and Griffiths were all in the team. 

Draw with Lithuania - none of the 6.

Lose to Slovakia - only Tierney started..

Lose to England - 4 of the 6 started.

Beat Slovenia - all 6 started.

Draw with England - 5 of the 6 started.

Beat Lithuania - all 6 started.

Beat Slovakia - 4 of the 6 started. 

Draw with Slovenia- 3 of the 6 started. 

Other then England away, which we were never likely to win, it's clear to see that the number of Celtic players in the starting XI had an impact on the result in the last campaign. Remember, this is when Celtic were winning two trebles and playing in the Champions League. 

I'd agree with that.

8 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

On current form I don't think there's much between Robertson and Tierney, Robertson's form has been poor for a wee while now.

When he's in midfield for Scotland we try and play too much through him, he's not THAT good. He's a very good left back but a play maker he certainly is not.

I'd agree with that. :ok:

2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I think I understand what you're saying here. Like he doesn't have the ability to single-handedly carry us to the final of a tournament like Ronaldo or Bale. But I think we should give the lad some real credit. He is certainly one of the best left backs in the world. There's a reason he's the 2nd top points-scoring defender in Fantasy EPL so far this season and is owned by 30% of teams. Absolutely no idea how you can say his form has been poor for a wee while? Perhaps you meant just for Scotland? I had to laugh after the Israel match (to stop myself from crying) when I saw people singling him out for criticism. They seemed to miss the times he had to run into the box and save a goalscoring opportunity, covering for the rest of his defense who had no fucking idea what was going on around them. His movement and anticipation is second to none. He can read the game like a children's book. He's also the 3rd top scorer in our current squad... 

In short, Robbo for President!

PS: I love KT too, but he has to move to a better club before he even has a look-in at taking Robbo's starting spot.

2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

for scotland or liverpool?

2 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

I'd agree with that. :ok:

of course you do 😂

11 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

for scotland or liverpool?

Scotland.

Albania game the only one he got pass marks out the last 4 for me. He's never a left mid for me, he cuts back too much in that role. He's better driving forward.

By playing him out of position we are ruining a great asset.

Edited by Squirrelhumper

3 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Very defeatist to describe Christie’s form as a purple patch. A young player coming of age and establishing himself for his club. 

FFS! purple patch, as in a run of success, things going well, coming good, showing what he can do etc. How is that defeatist?

4 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Tierney and Robertson are possibly our two best players, and I agree, full back not wing back for Robertson.  I actually have seen Tierney play better at wing back.

5 hours ago, McTeeko said:

Most of us wanted him in ASAP but Strachan was still slavering pish about his lack of height defending corners

thank you. I had blanked Strachan's obsession about height from my memory and happily on reflection considered his failings were down to lack of tactical nous and lack of bravery etc. I am now cringing recalling him talking about the height of the opposition, our wee team and "something in the water" etc etc. He picked the team yet complained about the lack of height! I suppose for wee insecure men, height permeates much of their daily thinking - I'll hazard a bet that Strachan continues to view a lot of things through the prism of height and size. the wee fud.