Scottish Players in Action 18/19 - Page 52 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in Action 18/19

PASTA Mick

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I've no idea why he's like this but its hugely frustrating for us as Scotland fans, every single one of us wants Forrest to succeed with Scotland but how long do we give him before we say enough is enough? 

I think this point has been made a few times before but I genuinely don't think it's his fault. I certainly don't think he doesn't try as hard for Scotland. The main thing is that playing for Celtic he's almost always up against a much worse team and he see loads of the ball in attack so has lots of chances to do things. Playing for Scotland he just doesn't get those chances, because we are now a pot 3 team. We aren't the Celtic of the international scene. We're the Partick Thistle, and we're most often playing better or equally-talented teams. 

It's a shitty dilemma, but sometimes we're just not good enough to field our most silky players, because they aren't gonna see the ball. But then that thinking gets you to 6-4-0 and...fuck.

I don't even know any more. I just want him to play well if he gets the chance. That's all I want for any of the lads, and I'm sure that's what they want too. 

1 hour ago, mrniaboc said:

I think this point has been made a few times before but I genuinely don't think it's his fault. I certainly don't think he doesn't try as hard for Scotland. The main thing is that playing for Celtic he's almost always up against a much worse team and he see loads of the ball in attack so has lots of chances to do things. Playing for Scotland he just doesn't get those chances, because we are now a pot 3 team. We aren't the Celtic of the international scene. We're the Partick Thistle, and we're most often playing better or equally-talented teams. 

It's a shitty dilemma, but sometimes we're just not good enough to field our most silky players, because they aren't gonna see the ball. But then that thinking gets you to 6-4-0 and...fuck.

I don't even know any more. I just want him to play well if he gets the chance. That's all I want for any of the lads, and I'm sure that's what they want too. 

forrest has something like 25 caps. I doubt they've all been against better opposition.

38 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

forrest has something like 25 caps. I doubt they've all been against better opposition.

If course they won't all have been. But the majority will have been against equal or better. Whereas for Celtic he plays more than 25 games in under a year and almost all are against worse teams. 

I don't disagree that he's ridiculously less effectual for Scotland than he is for Celtic, and it's so frustrating to see a Scotland player performing so well at club level and doing nothing for us, I'm just trying to say that I might not be his fault. 

2 hours ago, mrniaboc said:

If course they won't all have been. But the majority will have been against equal or better. Whereas for Celtic he plays more than 25 games in under a year and almost all are against worse teams. 

I don't disagree that he's ridiculously less effectual for Scotland than he is for Celtic, and it's so frustrating to see a Scotland player performing so well at club level and doing nothing for us, I'm just trying to say that I might not be his fault. 

The fault lies with the player and those managing him. For some reason we don’t see the best of Forrest. There’s plenty Celtic players who have played well for Celtic and also for Scotland so I don’t think it’s simply down to the opposition 

I do agree that it’s frustrating to see

16 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

The fault lies with the player and those managing him. For some reason we don’t see the best of Forrest. There’s plenty Celtic players who have played well for Celtic and also for Scotland so I don’t think it’s simply down to the opposition 

I do agree that it’s frustrating to see

You're right, he is also to blame. His game suits playing in a dominant side and he can't adapt, whereas a few other attacking Celtic players have shown they can (namely Griffiths and McGregor). Let's hope we can dominate Albania and Israel and he can finally step up!

24 minutes ago, jamboman said:

Good to see the scottish players doing well tonight for celtic.. I especially like Mcgregor in the holding mid place and christie's running. Tierney has also been very good

Forrest got an assist, two players booked for some of the multiple fouls on him...superb. 

29 minutes ago, Bino's said:

McLeish take note as Strachan did

Put as many of those Celtic players as you can in the side then fill in around them

To be fair who has he left out so far? Tierney and McGregor have played every game, Forrest has been on the edge of the starting line up and nobody would have considered Christie until this purple patch. Who else is there?

Gordon/McGregor are at the same level so it doesn't really matter which one to choose and Brown's retired. 

19 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

To be fair who has he left out so far? Tierney and McGregor have played every game, Forrest has been on the edge of the starting line up and nobody would have considered Christie until this purple patch. Who else is there?

Gordon/McGregor are at the same level so it doesn't really matter which one to choose and Brown's retired. 

Completely agree.   A traffic cone could do as much damage as Forrest has done for Scotland.  Christie has had a couple of decent games.  Tierney should be back up left back and first choice right back.  McGregor (c) is playing well and probably pushing for a start.  McGregor (a) is the better goalie.

Christie's run, touch, and pass for the 2nd goal was outstanding. He seems to be getting better with each game right now. Possibly pushing for start? Great to see Middleton playing so well too. His corners were lethal. Also, I think having Fraser and Middleton running towards you at full pace is a really scary prospect for any defence!

1 minute ago, mrniaboc said:

Christie's run, touch, and pass for the 2nd goal was outstanding. He seems to be getting better with each game right now. Possibly pushing for start? Great to see Middleton playing so well too. His corners were lethal. Also, I think having Fraser and Middleton running towards you at full pace is a really scary prospect for any defence!

He isn't really that kind of a winger, though. I don't think I've ever seen him beating his man, either with pace or with trickery. I think Mikey Johnston and Glenn Middleton are more liable to do that. Fraser and Forrest are better when they come inside. Everyone mocks Forrest for his inability to beat his man, but that isn't really his game.

1 hour ago, Chripper said:

He isn't really that kind of a winger, though. I don't think I've ever seen him beating his man, either with pace or with trickery. I think Mikey Johnston and Glenn Middleton are more liable to do that. Fraser and Forrest are better when they come inside. Everyone mocks Forrest for his inability to beat his man, but that isn't really his game.

Yeah, I didn't really mean it like that. Just meant their pace and physicality is threatening. Counter-attacks could be dangerous with them both on the pitch. Middleton is an 18-year-old footballer and he looks lie he could play for Scotland against Fiji this weekend!

7 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Completely agree.   A traffic cone could do as much damage as Forrest has done for Scotland.  Christie has had a couple of decent games.  Tierney should be back up left back and first choice right back.  McGregor (c) is playing well and probably pushing for a start.  McGregor (a) is the better goalie.

100% correct

No surprise to see pasta mick agree, he’d change the Scotland strip to green and white hoops if he could.

6 hours ago, Chripper said:

Forrest gets mocked because he doesn’t put in the same level of effort and performance for Scotland 

8 hours ago, Bino's said:

McLeish take note as Strachan did

Put as many of those Celtic players as you can in the side then fill in around them

Aye, that worked for Strachan didnt it?

40 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Well actually it did. The problem was he did it a bit too late in the campaign and injuries / stubbornness stopped him doing it against Slovenia away.

Our good spell under Strachan came when Gordon, Tierney, Brown, Armstrong, Forrest and Griffiths were all in the team. 

Draw with Lithuania - none of the 6.

Lose to Slovakia - only Tierney started..

Lose to England - 4 of the 6 started.

Beat Slovenia - all 6 started.

Draw with England - 5 of the 6 started.

Beat Lithuania - all 6 started.

Beat Slovakia - 4 of the 6 started. 

Draw with Slovenia- 3 of the 6 started. 

Other then England away, which we were never likely to win, it's clear to see that the number of Celtic players in the starting XI had an impact on the result in the last campaign. Remember, this is when Celtic were winning two trebles and playing in the Champions League. 

6 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Well actually it did. The problem was he did it a bit too late in the campaign and injuries / stubbornness stopped him doing it against Slovenia away.

Our good spell under Strachan came when Gordon, Tierney, Brown, Armstrong, Forrest and Griffiths were all in the team. 

Other then England away, which we were never likely to win, it's clear to see that the number of Celtic players in the starting XI had an impact on the result in the last campaign. Remember, this is when Celtic were winning two trebles and playing in the Champions League. 

Point proven. 👍

To be clear I've nothing against building the team around a Celtic core. I'm just pointing out that it's only 2 or 3 players. McGregor and Tierney must start (I'm the only one who thinks he'sbetter than Robertson), Brown's retired and Griffiths isn't playing. It only leaves you with Forrest so essentially it's just back to an argument about him.

Personally I'd start Forrest and would be happy with a midfield of Forrest, McGinn, McGregor, Fraser and Armstrong. I actually think that's our best midfield anyway (potentially with Cairney coming in).

I'd also be happy with the idea of Christie on the bench and looking for an opportunity to bring him on. 

This is still a young squad and i remain positive for the future.

1 hour ago, PASTA Mick said:

hold on a minute, you can't pick and choose which games matter like you've done with England away just because of the level of opposition, lithuania are shite and you're taking credit for the celtic players playing in that game so by the same logic the England match shouldn't be dismissed.

My point is, Strachan tried it and he failed. 

I see you also missed the other point made, McLiesh is picking the celtic players including Christie who is on fire. We are also in a place where there is competition for places

Gordon - not performing at the same level he was, McGregor is ahead of him at the moment

Tierney - its really harsh to say this but he's just not playing at the same level as Robertson, it sucks having two great left back. In saying this, nobody would moan if Tierney started but Robertson is ahead of him IMO

McGregor - should start every game IMO

Christie - has to be in with a shout of making the Attacking midfield role his own since Armstrong is getting next to no game time

Forrest - it amazes me how blinded you and it seems two or three others are when it comes to this guy, he's awesome for your club but he's garbage for our national side and the stats prove it. I've no doubt you will be screaming from the roof tops when Forrest eventually puts in a performance, as if this will some how justify him being shite for the first 25 caps. he is the only Celtic player who shouldn't be considered.

Griffiths - our best striker by a country mile but he's sulking or injured right now

Its not as if McLeish is ignoring these players and guess what, you're all still moaning and wanting rid of the manager

Edited by vanderark14

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

100% correct

No surprise to see pasta mick agree, he’d change the Scotland strip to green and white hoops if he could.

Forrest gets mocked because he doesn’t put in the same level of effort and performance for Scotland 

Yes

37 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

To be clear I've nothing against building the team around a Celtic core. I'm just pointing out that it's only 2 or 3 players. McGregor and Tierney must start (I'm the only one who thinks he'sbetter than Robertson), Brown's retired and Griffiths isn't playing. It only leaves you with Forrest so essentially it's just back to an argument about him.

Personally I'd start Forrest and would be happy with a midfield of Forrest, McGinn, McGregor, Fraser and Armstrong. I actually think that's our best midfield anyway (potentially with Cairney coming in).

I'd also be happy with the idea of Christie on the bench and looking for an opportunity to bring him on. 

This is still a young squad and i remain positive for the future.

I don't care if I come across as a broken record but what has James Forrest done in Scotland jersey to justify a starting position? We've waiting 25 caps for him to show his celtic form, how long do we give him?

I'd play Christie instead of Armstrong and I would forget about Cairney, I think h is heads been turned with this talk of an England cap