Scottish Players in Action 18/19 - Page 50 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in Action 18/19

PASTA Mick

20 minutes ago, andyD said:

Didn't watch the match either, other than a few glimpses as is was on in the background.

This raised an eyebrow tho.
https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1336755/Live/England-League-Cup-2018-2019-Manchester-City-Fulham

Not a religious believer in whoscore ratings, thats for sure, but Cairney was the worst player on the pitch by their reckoning.

I wouldn't really pay any notice to that, for a couple of reasons:

1) He's been injured for ages.

2) Against Manchester City you will rarely see the ball, so it's usually akin to a dog chasing after a ball, even for the best of player.

2 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Goal for Forrest v Hearts :ok:

James Forrest can score as many goals as he likes in the SPL...    his record for Scotland is played 24.....     scored..... 0....  not one... zero...    a terrible record.  I’d be reluctant to play him at all. 

43 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

James Forrest can score as many goals as he likes in the SPL...    his record for Scotland is played 24.....     scored..... 0....  not one... zero...    a terrible record.  I’d be reluctant to play him at all. 

How many of those were starts and who's the prolific goalscoring wingers that are keeping him out your team?

Not a senior squad player, but under 21 keeper Ross Doohan has now had 11 clean sheets in his 19 games on loan at Ayr - looks a fantastic prospect and is getting better every time I see him - I believe has recently signed a 4 year extension at Celtic as well. 

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

As much as people like to ridicule the SPL (I still call it the SPL), mostly the English, but it's a decent standard. It's akin to the English Championship. So, Forrest scoring as he does in the SPL as a winger is pretty impressive. That being said, his job (for Celtic and Scotland) isn't to score, it's primarily to create. 

I doubt he's created many goals in a Scotland shirt, but then again, who has. He's an OK player, which just goes to show how low in the ladder we are that we are choc-a-block with "OK" players.

I was watching the Liverpool match and I did have a thought that Andrew Robertson could play as an anchor-man. He has the mobility, he covers so much ground, he's fast and his passing is under-rated. Plus he has fire in his belly. In today's match he gave the referee both barrels for not blowing the whistle when he was blatantly fouled. It might actually be the solution to our Robertson/Tierney dilemma and it would give us ample room to play with three natural centre backs, as opposed to hoping that Tierney can move inside.

2 hours ago, Scotland Ever More said:

How many of those were starts and who's the prolific goalscoring wingers that are keeping him out your team?

Snodgrass has scored 7 in 26.   He has much more about him than Forrest.  In my opinion, I don’t Forrest has got the character for the   Stage of international football.  He missed a sitter at Wembley.  Snodgrass has more belief and it shows in his goal scoring record.

4 hours ago, hursty said:

Not a senior squad player, but under 21 keeper Ross Doohan has now had 11 clean sheets in his 19 games on loan at Ayr - looks a fantastic prospect and is getting better every time I see him - I believe has recently signed a 4 year extension at Celtic as well. 

Never knew he was at Ayr, so cheers for the update, sounds like he's doing well there. Hopefully he can push for a place at Celtic next season.

On 10/31/2018 at 9:53 PM, Chripper said:

Where exactly do you think we are in the footballing world?

Bates, McDonald, Russell, GMS and Rhodes ARE where we are. Scotland are weak all over the park, like it or not those five are in the mix. Who do you suggest we pick? Our invisible players who play for Juventus, Bayern Munich, Real Madrid, Barcelona? 

Some Scotland fans really do need a reality check. 

Spot on wit this, Bates probably has a good future although he can be a bit rash. Mcdonald and Russel are probably going to start most games or feature frequently if not. GMS im not sure if he will get in but on current form he might and Rhodes is back to scoreing regularly so really should be getting in the squad, no doubt mcleish will pick fucking stevie fletcher though.

On 10/31/2018 at 11:26 PM, PASTA Mick said:

Bates has never been in a squad.

McDonald and Russell have only really been picked by McLeish. Previous managers didn't think they were good enough.

GMS ahead of all the Celtic players that were ahead of him when he was at Celtic?

Rhodes hasn't been near a squad in years. 

There are 4 players at Celtic alone that would improve that team. Not to mention McKenna, Snodgrass, McGinn, Ritchie, Phillips...

Players have to make a debut at some point, they dont just appread with caps.

Previous managers have also been fucking shite, not saying mcleish isnt but loads of players dont get a break until the manager changes and that can be for good or bad.

GMS I would maybe agree but he is playing very well.

Rhodes is scoreing goals.

Which players is that?  Dont include forrest because we all know what he is capeable of.

On 11/1/2018 at 3:36 PM, SWMM82 said:

I just don’t think Forrest sees enough of the ball in forward areas when he plays for Scotland. The perfect example of this was against Portugal.....first half he was involved in some good attacks, linked up well and put a couple decent balls into the box. Second half, Portugal began to dominate possession and everything went down the left hand side, so he barely touched it.

Celtic dominate possession domestically, and he sees a lot more of the ball, his goals and assists return over the last couple of seasons cannot be ignored. 

I would play him as right wing back. He has played there for Celtic and excelled in that position. He’s a great out ball and his pace would get us up the pitch more than Stephen O’Donnell ever would.

I watched him run riot against Bayern Munich last season in the Champions League, gave David Alaba a roasting! There isn’t another Scottish player currently capable of doing that.

I mean the boy scored four goals in half an hour against St.Johnstone and never even started against Israel.

Agreed about Faddy though, he never done it at Everton, despite scoring goal of the season once there, but was excellent for Scotland. Could argue Faddy had better players around him when playing for Scotland?

Forrest is just shite, he can do it in the Scottish league, thats his level, theres a reason no club has ever came in for him or made a serious bid. A winger that cant go past someone or cross the ball is fucking useless!!!!

14 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Correct, i wouldnt even have him in the squad, waste of space, thinks hes a fucking ticket.

11 hours ago, romanticscot said:

Snodgrass is a big personality and that is one ingredient we need more of. I would have Matt Phillips ahead of both of them though. 

We need more players like him yes, matt phillips is fucking rank!

Edited by Kirk

12 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Snodgrass has scored 7 in 26.   He has much more about him than Forrest.  In my opinion, I don’t Forrest has got the character for the   Stage of international football.  He missed a sitter at Wembley.  Snodgrass has more belief and it shows in his goal scoring record.

Wembley was two years ago and Forrest is now playing probably the best football of his career. We don't have a strong enough squad to be overlooking the form players based on sitters missed a couple of years ago, or comparing his record to someone who will have started a lot more games than him.

6 hours ago, Kirk said:

Forrest is just shite, he can do it in the Scottish league, thats his level, theres a reason no club has ever came in for him or made a serious bid. A winger that cant go past someone or cross the ball is fucking useless!!!!

You don’t half have it in for him! Like it or not Forrest is one of the best, if not the best winger available to us, along with Fraser. He’s also performed and scored big goals for Celtic in Europe, so to say domestic football is his level is just not true. There is a reason he has been called up to every squad, by different managers.

1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

With McKenna the millions are for potential. If you can’t see his, God help you!

You originally said he was learning his trade, so when does he become time served, 21, 23, 25? He will be the oldest apprentice in Scotland. If he is a certain starter for club and possible country then he should be capable of handling a player like Boyd. Maybe he was not at his best today, i like him as a player but your excuse of learning his trade is nonsense. 

42 minutes ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

You originally said he was learning his trade, so when does he become time served, 21, 23, 25? He will be the oldest apprentice in Scotland. If he is a certain starter for club and possible country then he should be capable of handling a player like Boyd. Maybe he was not at his best today, i like him as a player but your excuse of learning his trade is nonsense. 

Surely McKenna can't of been that bad today, Aberdeen won 2-1. 

10 hours ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Wembley was two years ago and Forrest is now playing probably the best football of his career. We don't have a strong enough squad to be overlooking the form players based on sitters missed a couple of years ago, or comparing his record to someone who will have started a lot more games than him.

5 hours ago, SWMM82 said:

You don’t half have it in for him! Like it or not Forrest is one of the best, if not the best winger available to us, along with Fraser. He’s also performed and scored big goals for Celtic in Europe, so to say domestic football is his level is just not true. There is a reason he has been called up to every squad, by different managers.

I think Forrest is rotten.  I can’t think of a game he has played forvscotland where he has done anything of any note.  I don’t care what he does for Celtic... I care what he does for Scotland and so far that’s nada.