Scottish Players in Action 18/19 - Page 48 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in Action 18/19

PASTA Mick

9 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

That may well be necessary. We could do with someone to lead the line and assist runners from midfield and wide. 

He's been one of the biggest let downs in the recent history of the national team.

Thirty one caps and nine goals does look respectable. Yet six of them were against Gibraltar and another one was against a poor Iceland team.

"watched by Real Madrid" my arse. 

We'd be better off with Callum Paterson up front alongside Johnny Russell than Steven Fletcher.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

Jordan Rhodes should be called up, I understand he is not a target man but coming into some good form for the season - 7 goals in 17.  Today he should play against Bournemouth in some English cup, here's hoping McLeish is there in person and get a look at him and Fraser.

We should play a 4-2-3-1 in my opinion and this would suit Rhodsey, play Robertson on the left, Tierney at the right.  Play Ryan Fraser on the left of the three.  Matt Phillips on the right.  Callum McGregor in the middle. 

McGinn in one of the holding roles.  Would prefer some experience in beside him.  

Just as I am thinking about this - what ever happened to Scott Allan? 

Edited by romanticscot
Didn't finish my thought

16 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

Jordan Rhodes should be called up, I understand he is not a target man but coming into some good form for the season - 7 goals in 17.  Today he should play against Bournemouth in some English cup, here's hoping McLeish is there in person and get a look at him and Fraser.

We should play a 4-2-3-1 in my opinion and this would suit Rhodsey, play Robertson on the left, Tierney at the right.  Play Ryan Fraser on the left of the three.  Matt Phillips on the right.  Callum McGregor in the middle. 

McGinn in one of the holding roles.  Would prefer some experience in beside him.  

Just as I am thinking about this - what ever happened to Scott Allan? 

Jordan Rhodes, up front on his own, I've heard it all now.

32 minutes ago, aaid said:

Jordan Rhodes, up front on his own, I've heard it all now.

His link up play has actually improved a lot in recent years from what i've seen, but it's also worth noting that there is up front on your own like kenny miller played and there's being a striker just ahead of a forward 3. given the opposition we're up against, i.e. teams that are fundamentally worse than us, Rhodes up top with 3 supporting players (Russell, GSM, Fraser?) could work well.

2 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

He's been one of the biggest let downs in the recent history of the national team.

Thirty one caps and nine goals does look respectable. Yet six of them were against Gibraltar and another one was against a poor Iceland team.

"watched by Real Madrid" my arse. 

We'd be better off with Callum Paterson up front alongside Johnny Russell than Steven Fletcher.

His goal scoring record was poor but I got really annoyed with his lack of physical presence, for a big lad he was far too easily outmuscled. I’d go with Rhodes for the next 2 games.

51 minutes ago, Rab The Crab said:

His goal scoring record was poor but I got really annoyed with his lack of physical presence, for a big lad he was far too easily outmuscled. I’d go with Rhodes for the next 2 games.

Fletcher is natural footballer and someone who can make a difference in terms of assists with a killer pass, lay offs and the odd goal. At this moment in time, with players with pace around him, his inclusion makes sense.  

I have been thinking about the retirement of McArthur and its bad timing, I have on paper been thinking about my team and its very attacking minded and need someone along McGinn in a holding midfielder role with some experience and maturity.  This may have been the time for McArthur to prove his worth.

So I have been thinking about contenders who could fit that role - Shinnie and Bannan is the only guy who comes to mind.  And then I am thinking at the expense of going backwards that Darren Fletcher might be worth a call up.

Charlie Mulgrew could also play there.I have allot of young heads and need that experience. 

If anyone is interested here is my team.

GK - Gordon or McGregor - not losing sleep over either

LB - Robertson, CB - McKenna CB - Souttar RB - Tierney

DM - McGinn DM - Fletcher

LM - Fraser CM - McGregor RM - Philips 

St - Rhodes then McBurnie

S Fletcher not getting games 

Griffiths and Naismith injured. 

15 minutes ago, jailender said:

What exactly is supposedly wrong with Griffiths? No one has come out and said what the injury is, and today Rodgers is saying he's not sure, and taking it on a day to day basis. Seems that there is definitely more to this story.

If it's a personal issue then it's none of our business.

1 hour ago, romanticscot said:

a holding midfielder

contenders who could fit that role - Shinnie and Bannan is the only guy who comes to mind. 

Just a public service announcement, Bannan hasn't played defensive mid at club level for a long time. He's thriving in a role slightly further forward, linking midfield and attack, with someone else picking up the defensive duties. He's probably one of the best midfielders in the championship at this point, but putting him into a defensive role would stifle him and he'd probably be average at best at it.

1 hour ago, romanticscot said:

S Fletcher not getting games

Fletch has missed a grand total of 1 of Sheffield Wednesday's 17 games so far this season.
In 6 of the last 8, he's played 77 minutes or more.
In the 10 games where he's played more than 18 minutes he's scored 3 and assisted 3.

2 goals for Scott Fraser tonight against Forest and an assist for the third. Good to see him scoring goals against a Championship side. Lad definitely has ability. Hopefully keeps it up and gets a move to bigger club

Edited by GHfaeGTA

4 hours ago, andyD said:

Just a public service announcement, Bannan hasn't played defensive mid at club level for a long time. He's thriving in a role slightly further forward, linking midfield and attack, with someone else picking up the defensive duties. He's probably one of the best midfielders in the championship at this point, but putting him into a defensive role would stifle him and he'd probably be average at best at it.

I'm not being a smarty as I had to look it up.

He played there v QPR on 10/23, v Birmingham on 10/27 

22 hours ago, andyD said:

His link up play has actually improved a lot in recent years from what i've seen, but it's also worth noting that there is up front on your own like kenny miller played and there's being a striker just ahead of a forward 3. given the opposition we're up against, i.e. teams that are fundamentally worse than us, Rhodes up top with 3 supporting players (Russell, GSM, Fraser?) could work well.

His link up play would have to have improved majorly, as would his work rate especially,  when we play with a loan striker we expect him to put a good shift in, Rhodes has always struck me as a bit lazy.

I'd disagree we're up against teams that are fundamentally worse than us, there is a reason why we are in this group.  We're up against teams that are fundamentally at the same level as we are.

17 hours ago, romanticscot said:

I'm not being a smarty as I had to look it up.

He played there v QPR on 10/23, v Birmingham on 10/27  

Not being a smarty, but it is a side i watch regularly.

Someone maybe put him in that position on a teamsheet for convenience, but that's not the role he plays in the team.

Pelupessy is 100% a defensive shield. He does all the running and plays it short and simple to players like Bannan and Onomah who then try to create things further forward. He picks up the vast majority of the defensive duties, often to his detriment as (like McDonald for us in the last few) he gets outnumbered and overwhelmed at times because others have gone forward. Pelupessy is the base upon which the midfield is built, and it his discipline in doing that job that lets Bannan roam forward more.

Generally Wednesday play 3 men centrally, but sometimes go for 4 (who knows why). Reach will sit behind the strikers as he has net to no workrate, ducks out of every tackle, but occasionally his a worldie. Pelupessy sits and does all the dirty work. While Bannan and Onomah try and make the team tick.

Not sure Bannan's played as a defensive mid at all this season. Don't think he did last season either, except maybe at the height of the injury crisis (before he got injured himself). You're going back 2-3 years to when he was playing in a 2 with Keiran Lee what you could say he was playing defensive mid on a regular basis, but that was mostly because Lee would make crazy forward runs and leave Bannan having to do that job.

Honestly, I think the present day Bannan is a much better player than he's been at any point in his career so far. He's settled at a club and played regular first team football for several years now. It's done him the world of good. His touch is better than ever and his distribution is very good. He doesn't score as many as he should, but his 2 goals this season means he's already notched as many as he has is the previous 2 season combined.

Won't be a popular opinion because some people like to live in 2014, but he should be very much in McLeish's thoughts when selecting the squad. For me, he's better than McGinn is right now and probably better than McGregor, tho McGregor has a better eye for goal, no question.

I follow Wednesday but don't get any chances to watch them so can't comment on the movement beyond the line ups on paper , they seem to play many many different formations 4-3-3 , 3-4-3 , 4-1-3-2, 4-2-3-1. Bannan has played def mid on at least 3 occasions recently.  I don't want to be misunderstood, I am not saying he is best there, I am , although it may be unpopular, an advocate for Bannan in our squad as if he is playeded to his strengths, maybe not a starter but for me I would have him in the squad over Armstrong.  I think he has a great eye for a pass and through ball but his height for me would be an issue to put him along side McGinn - for clarity I would favor Scotland playing a 4 -2 -3- 1

I am curious in your mind which formation do you believe Scotland should play and do you expect the 3-5-2 to be what McLeish will favor for at least these next two games?