Scottish Players in Action 18/19 - Page 45 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in Action 18/19

PASTA Mick

2 hours ago, Chripper said:

I don't know why, he was fine, but he wasn't particularly good. His passing was rash at times.

Football fans do have a way of looking at things through rose tinted glasses. A person on a Villa forum called him the "Scottish Steven Gerrard". 

I wish he was!

It's true. Perception is all relative. I only saw the 2nd half tonight, and yes, he did make some good contributions (a goal-saving sliding block for one), but he was unable to grab the game by the balls, and his set pieces were poor.

Edit: Maybe i just expect higher standards, i dunno

Edited by Dave78

3 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

It's true. Perception is all relative. I only saw the 2nd half tonight, and yes, he did make some good contributions (a goal-saving sliding block for one), but he was unable to grab the game by the balls, and his set pieces were poor.

In all honesty, I don't think we have any midfielders who are able to grab a match by the scruff of its neck/grab it by the balls. There's no doubt he's a good player and he will definitely end up in the EPL. Several weeks ago people (in the same Villa forum) said that he'll probably end up at Liverpool or Man City... I wouldn't exactly go that far. He'll join a mid-table EPL club. 

The common consensus is that he reminds them of James Milner. I can certainly see that comparison, what with his engine. Whether he does as well as Milner, we'll see. His lapses of concentration is a worry as well as his poor decisions making at times. If he could eradicate his mistakes then he could be a top player. I hope a season in the Championship will help him cut out all the sloppiness, but it's not like he's a youngster. He's 25.

22 minutes ago, Chripper said:

In all honesty, I don't think we have any midfielders who are able to grab a match by the scruff of its neck/grab it by the balls. There's no doubt he's a good player and he will definitely end up in the EPL. Several weeks ago people (in the same Villa forum) said that he'll probably end up at Liverpool or Man City... I wouldn't exactly go that far. He'll join a mid-table EPL club. 

The common consensus is that he reminds them of James Milner. I can certainly see that comparison, what with his engine. Whether he does as well as Milner, we'll see. His lapses of concentration is a worry as well as his poor decisions making at times. If he could eradicate his mistakes then he could be a top player. I hope a season in the Championship will help him cut out all the sloppiness, but it's not like he's a youngster. He's 25.

He's just turned 24. I reckon he will end up at a lower half EPL team. Hopefully it's sooner rather than later.

31 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Agree. That game (the 2nd half anyway) was begging for a Villa player to 'step up' (wanky phrase fred candidate) and win the match. Was hoping McGinn would do that, but naw.

Don't get me wrong, i love all about him as a player, but Liverpool/Man City? Steady!

1 hour ago, Chripper said:

Definitely. He's got the skills, just needs refined under a good coach.

I understand that Fraser set up two goals today.

Any reason on Robertson dropping to the bench? He was subbed in the week and so I wondered, as it's Cardiff at home, whether he's been rested. Liverpool fans don't seem keen though: https://metro.co.uk/2018/10/27/liverpool-fans-blame-alberto-moreno-for-ruining-anfield-clean-sheet-record-8081166/

19 hours ago, Dave78 said:

He's actually been our best player this season. Not hard but I've been impressed.

2 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

If he goes on little run then we would have to consider him for the first team. He's only 24 so he could go onto be a good striker at EPL level.

Depends on what style, Cardifff play constant long ball. Guess he's probably a better fit for the targetman role than Mcburnie currently.

3 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Two assists for Fraser today

Does he really want to play for Scotland though ?

The amount times Fraser has called off is ridiculous.

2 hours ago, SkyBlueScot said:

I understand that Fraser set up two goals today.

Any reason on Robertson dropping to the bench? He was subbed in the week and so I wondered, as it's Cardiff at home, whether he's been rested. Liverpool fans don't seem keen though: https://metro.co.uk/2018/10/27/liverpool-fans-blame-alberto-moreno-for-ruining-anfield-clean-sheet-record-8081166/

Just looks like he's getting rested. 

1 hour ago, SWMM82 said:

Henderson with goal and assist for Verona. 

Gauld played full 90 mins for Farense as well. Good to see him playing the whole game....not given up on the wee man yet!

For our next game, Kevin McDonald should be dropped from the squad and Liam Henderson brought in.

Sadly however, I don't think our manager can be remotely arsed keeping up with his career in Italy so I won't get my hopes up.

A few weeks ago I suggested Paterson as a far better striker option than Naismith... And I was ridiculed... I will concede Naismith is playing quite well at club level, but at best is a #10 and never a striker... McLeish has to be looking at Paterson up front... His last 2 Cardiff goals were both opportunistic strikes on the deck... But he is great in the air which is dead handy not only in attack, but also defense... Scotland are far too suspect to set pieces at the back, and Paterson could certainly help sort that out...

13 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Tbf Fraser was sent home by the Scotland staff. How can that be his fault.

He's pulled out of three or four squads before that and usually ended up playing for Bournemouth after the international break.

There are genuine questions about whether Fraser can actually be bothered playing for his country.

8 minutes ago, HighlandScot said:

A few weeks ago I suggested Paterson as a far better striker option than Naismith... And I was ridiculed... I will concede Naismith is playing quite well at club level, but at best is a #10 and never a striker... McLeish has to be looking at Paterson up front... His last 2 Cardiff goals were both opportunistic strikes on the deck... But he is great in the air which is dead handy not only in attack, but also defense... Scotland are far too suspect to set pieces at the back, and Paterson could certainly help sort that out...

Didn't you suggest it after only one game up front for Cardiff? If he turns into a great forward then fair enough but to suggest dropping Naismith at that point seemed a bit premature.

2 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Does he really want to play for Scotland though ?

Good question. I think McLeish should ask Fraser flat-out whether he wants to play for Scotland or not. If not then fair enough. The fact that he always turns up for Scotland would suggest that he does want to be a part of the squad, if he didn't want to be then he'd simply tell the manager that he doesn't want to be selected.

3 hours ago, HighlandScot said:

I wouldn't take it personal. Galileo was ridiculed (and held under house arrest till his death) for stating that the Earth revolved around the Sun.

No offence to Paterson, but it just shows how low we've sank when we have to consider a player who was a right-back a year and a half ago, to solve our striking crisis.

Edited by Chripper