Scottish Players in Action 18/19 - Page 44 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in Action 18/19

PASTA Mick

It is also quite incredible that we appear to have bummed up Tierney so much in Scotland that he is now viewed as undroppable and are actually changing a whole system to try and suit him, a left back, when there are players who are playing far better at a far higher level who are now getting moved from their best positions to accommodate him.. ie Ryan Fraser.

22 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

In all honesty it's not that far fetched. Tierney isn't playing to the same levels he was two years ago and certainly isn't playing to his highest level on the left of a back 3. 

He also has never played outside Scotland so as much as he is good and has a lot of potential you can’t gauge him to Robertson until he plays at a higher standard. 

48 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

It is also quite incredible that we appear to have bummed up Tierney so much in Scotland that he is now viewed as undroppable and are actually changing a whole system to try and suit him, a left back, when there are players who are playing far better at a far higher level who are now getting moved from their best positions to accommodate him.. ie Ryan Fraser.

Agree that Fraser needs to play in his best position. 

IMO, Robertson at LB, Tierney at RB, Fraser at LW. Those are the three best players we have. 

55 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Agree that Fraser needs to play in his best position. 

IMO, Robertson at LB, Tierney at RB, Fraser at LW. Those are the three best players we have. 

I think that's way to get our best 2 players in the team and in their best positions. Our best two players being Robertson and Fraser. Only alternative would be to have Tierney LW and Fraser RW. Robertson has to play LB though

33 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

I think that's way to get our best 2 players in the team and in their best positions. Our best two players being Robertson and Fraser. Only alternative would be to have Tierney LW and Fraser RW. Robertson has to play LB though

I don’t see why Tierney can’t play in defensive midfield in a 4-5-1. 

3 hours ago, bazmidd said:

In all honesty it's not that far fetched. Tierney isn't playing to the same levels he was two years ago and certainly isn't playing to his highest level on the left of a back 3. 

There are a few players who would be better in that position than Tierney but Liam Cooper isn’t one of them.

Is it really heretical to say that Tierney is a better left back than Robertson?

The response to this will probably be, "Robertson plays for Liverpool and played in the Champions League final..." but by saying that are we stating that a Celtic player won't be chosen if there is an EPL top 4 player in their position?

I like Robbo, I really do, but he's not exactly set the world alight recently for Scotland (yes, he's out of position etc). All I am asking is whether there's any discussion needed... (puts on hard hat)

13 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Is it really heretical to say that Tierney is a better left back than Robertson?

The response to this will probably be, "Robertson plays for Liverpool and played in the Champions League final..." but by saying that are we stating that a Celtic player won't be chosen if there is an EPL top 4 player in their position?

I like Robbo, I really do, but he's not exactly set the world alight recently for Scotland (yes, he's out of position etc). All I am asking is whether there's any discussion needed... (puts on hard hat)

Not heretical but imo definitely wrong!  Tierney is a fantastic left back, no disputing that one bit, but Robertson is far better at this time!  You just have to think back to his performances under Strachan!  He was excellent for us and for much of that time wasn't even starting for Liverpool!

He was rank against Israel but he was clearly marked as our danger player and was given extra attention also the rest of the team were rank that night which didn't help him either!

ETA if any Scot is starting regularly for a top 4 EPL team then they absolutely should be in the starting Scotland 11

Edited by kwhitelaw

38 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

It's not heretical, and I don't think you should be lambasted for asking the question, but I also think you shouldn't be surprised that the answer is simply that Robbo has been tested week in week out in the best league in the world, and all the way to the final of the Champions League, and has passed with flying colours. Until KT is tested like that, how could you possibly justify his inclusion over Robbo? 

Every single week I check the gossip coloums searching with hope for a story that suggests he's gonna leave Celtic and join a team at the top of European football. I really want it to happen, but if he doesn't then that's what he wants and that's what's important in his life. But until he changes his mind, it's got to be Robbo for me. 

I think people are really underestimating the comparison between Robertson and Tierney here. There really is no comparison right now. As has been stated, Robertson has proved himself at the highest level you can possibly get to in European Football. He isn't just a nailed on starter for one of the best teams in England, he is a nailed on starter for one of the best teams in Europe! He is literally playing and performing to a far higher level than Kieran Tierney every single game of football he plays. Would Tierney go straight into a top four side, I don't think he would as he hasn't proved himself even in the English Premiership or in Europe yet. Until he takes the route of Robertson and heads out with Scotland to prove himself it isn't even a contest

1 hour ago, kwhitelaw said:

Not heretical but imo definitely wrong!  Tierney is a fantastic left back, no disputing that one bit, but Robertson is far better at this time!  You just have to think back to his performances under Strachan!  He was excellent for us and for much of that time wasn't even starting for Liverpool!

He was rank against Israel but he was clearly marked as our danger player and was given extra attention also the rest of the team were rank that night which didn't help him either!

ETA if any Scot is starting regularly for a top 4 EPL team then they absolutely should be in the starting Scotland 11

I though ETA meant 'estimated time of arrival'?

From what I've seen of Fraser is that he does his best work when he drifts into the middle.

If people thinks that Fraser is an old fashioned winger who runs at his full back, glides past them and whips in a dangerous cross, they are very wrong. If anything, he's more like an old fashioned inside forward. He could certainly play in the middle of a 5 man midfield. His commitment to Scotland is up for debate, though.

As far as wingers go, in the old fashioned mould, we don't have any, or at least, we don't have many good ones. Forrest is like Fraser, where they're better when they drift into the middle.

Edited by Chripper

2 hours ago, bazmidd said:

I think people are really underestimating the comparison between Robertson and Tierney here. There really is no comparison right now. As has been stated, Robertson has proved himself at the highest level you can possibly get to in European Football. He isn't just a nailed on starter for one of the best teams in England, he is a nailed on starter for one of the best teams in Europe! He is literally playing and performing to a far higher level than Kieran Tierney every single game of football he plays. Would Tierney go straight into a top four side, I don't think he would as he hasn't proved himself even in the English Premiership or in Europe yet. Until he takes the route of Robertson and heads out with Scotland to prove himself it isn't even a contest

I agree that Robertson is ahead of KT at the moment because he is playing every week for a very good team that is playing in the Champions League.

It's also worth remembering that at KTs age, Robertson was still at Dundee Utd and had nothing like the experience (titles, cups, european experience, captain of club) that Tierney has right now.  

Two smashing players. If only they were in different positions. 

5 Scots started for Celtic and they could've been beaten by 4 or 5.

This is why Celtic always get beat in Europe under Rodgers. He likes his teams to play open and expansive football, that's find in Scotland when you're playing against teams full of free transfers, but in European competitions if they go toe-to-toe with teams with an actual transfer budget, they'll get beat.

Same with Scotland, we have to stay compact and defensive and be hard to beat. (At least against the top teams) We don't have any choice. Boys like McGregor and Forrest and Christie, et al, may be good in Scottish football, but let's face it, they are on the bottom rung of European football's ladder.

Tierney played well, though.

12 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

McGinn-Villa love in on Twitter tonight, fans very impressed

I don't know why, he was fine, but he wasn't particularly good. His passing was rash at times.

Football fans do have a way of looking at things through rose tinted glasses. A person on a Villa forum called him the "Scottish Steven Gerrard". 

I wish he was!