Scottish Players in Action 18/19 - Page 41 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in Action 18/19

PASTA Mick

5 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Was this an existing problem? Never seemed injured against Israel (no jokes at the back)

He did go back to Hearts after the Israel game saying he was injured. 

Seemed ok as he was walking off after the red card but he must have picked up the injury at some point. 

5 hours ago, Rab The Crab said:

I’m guessing there’s been some niggle, might force Eck’s hand to ditch 3-5-2.

He’s only definitely going to miss one match for us as he is suspended for Albania anyway. 

Hopefully he’ll be back and match fit for the qualifiers starting in March. 

I still hope McLeish ditches the three at the back though. 

3 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Terrible news, he was starting to look very good. I think Hanley will be back (he was injured for the last round of matches). Norwich think very highly of him and to be fair he’s now reaching a good age for a centre half. 

We could actually do worse than bring Hanley back. He’s a better player than Liam Cooper.

3 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Terrible news, he was starting to look very good. I think Hanley will be back (he was injured for the last round of matches). Norwich think very highly of him and to be fair he’s now reaching a good age for a centre half. 

3 minutes ago, Rab The Crab said:

We could actually do worse than bring Hanley back. He’s a better player than Liam Cooper.

God no. 

It’s time to look to the future, not backwards. 

Ryan Porteous should be called up as cover for Mulgrew and McKenna who should either start as the centre halves in a back 4 or in a back 3 with Tierney against Albania and Israel. 

We also have Jack Hendry so there’s no need to go back to the likes of Hanley who has had his day. 

24 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

God no. 

Ryan Porteous should be called up as cover for Mulgrew and McKenna who should either start as the centre halves in a back 4 or in a back 3 with Tierney against Albania and Israel. 

We also have Jack Hendry so there’s no need to go back to the likes of Hanley who has had his day. 

Hanley’s only 26 and at an age where he can now properly be judged. Some Norwich fans are saying he’s the best centre half in the Championship.

4 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Hanley’s only 26 and at an age where he can now properly be judged. Some Norwich fans are saying he’s the best centre half in the Championship.

I know he’s only 26 but he has about 30 caps or something and he filled me with dread almost every time he played for us. 

If he has improved (a lot of defenders do improve with age) then I won’t have a problem with him getting back in the squad but I think we need better defenders than him to progress. 

17 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I know he’s only 26 but he has about 30 caps or something and he filled me with dread almost every time he played for us. 

If he has improved (a lot of defenders do improve with age) then I won’t have a problem with him getting back in the squad but I think we need better defenders than him to progress. 

We need to win our next two games. I like Porteous but he’s not ready for that kind of situation. He was also played on the left side for many of his caps which wasn’t  ideal for a young right footed centre half. 

Edited by er yir macaroon

28 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

We need to win our next two games. I like Porteous but he’s not ready for that kind of situation. He was also played on the left side for many of his caps which wasn’t  ideal for a young right footed centre half. 

We don’t actually need to win both games although it would be ideal if we did. 

I’m not suggesting we throw Porteous in at the deep end and you’re right, he’s not ready to start for us yet but exposure to the first team wouldn’t be a bad thing. We may well need to turn to him next year.

If Hanley is recalled I doubt he would start. McLeish obviously prefers Mulgrew and McKenna so I would imagine they would start, if fit. 

We’ll find out in a few weeks I suppose. 

Edited by Texas Pete

46 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

We don’t actually need to win both games although it would be ideal if we did. 

I’m not suggesting we throw Porteous in at the deep end and you’re right, he’s not ready to start for us yet but exposure to the first team wouldn’t be a bad thing. We may well need to turn to him next year.

If Hanley is recalled I doubt he would start. McLeish obviously prefers Mulgrew and McKenna so I would imagine they would start, if fit. 

We’ll find out in a few weeks I suppose. 

Hanley was played on the left that  is.. 

8 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Hanley was played on the left that  is.. 

I knew what you meant. You don’t really need to be left footed to play as the left centre half though although it doesn’t hurt. 

Surely McLeish and his team have been watching him?

11 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Jack Hendry is struggling for celtic never mind scotland.  What happened to liam lindsay?

Jack Hendry needs taken out the fucking limelight. What happened to 'blooding' young players gradually ? That boy could be excellent but he needs a wee while on the fringes if he's going to be in the frame for Celtic and Scotland. Can only imagine his stress levels being on the receiving end of (deserved) criticism. The boy needs looked after for a wee while, from a mental health point of view.

21 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

He’s been injured for the last few weeks. 

Yeah I remember him getting injured in September. I think it was after the Scotland squad was announced for the Albania and Belgium games so I don’t think McLeish would have picked him. 

I could be wrong about the dates though. 

4 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

God no. 

If you’ve watched Porteous play, he is a far too rash to be used in the full squad at the moment, would probably end up getting sent off! Having said that, once he matures a bit as a player he will be a Scotland cap, no doubt.

Just now, Caledonian Craig said:

Talk about jinxing. Harper substituted at half-time and Malaga trail 1-0.

Watched it. Was only involved in giving the ball away, misjudging balls played to him and fouling the opposition. Disappointed! 

This is his first run of games in proper senior football though. Maybe just lost a bit of confidence and got frustrated.