Scottish Players in Action 18/19 - Page 36 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in Action 18/19

PASTA Mick

3 hours ago, andyD said:

Re: Bates..
21 year old scottish centerback playing 90 minutes every game in the german 2nd tier.
5 clean sheets in 6 league games.
Likely to be a regular in the bundesliga next season.

I for one am glad that we've got a young guy out, playing, seemingly doing well regardless of the quality he's up against and with the potential to be tested at a much higher level than he would if he'd stayed on Ranger's bench.

Well done Bates. Keep it up.

It's worth noting that Hamburg said they would have bought him even if they hadn't been relegated.

12 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

They bought him before they were relegated. 

Yes, I know. What I meant was that the coach recently said in an interview that they didn't buy him as a good player in the likely event of relegation. They were buying a player to play in the top flight.

10 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

That said, fuck knows how you can say Rangers will finish 2nd. They might but I think there's 2 or 3 teams with as good a chance as Rangers of doing likewise.

It’s nailed on. I’ll eat ma own drawers if they don’t. 

10 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Another good performance from Liam Cooper tonight and according to who scored .com he is now the best player in the championship.

Pity Gordon Greer and Russell Martin were keeping him out of the squad a few years back.

Both were performing much better than Cooper. I really don't rate him. 

19 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Didn't we say that for years about Kevin Harper ?

I know what you mean but I think Burke's at a much higher level in terms of his athletic ability (clocked as the 3rd fastest player in world football last season) and starting point (Championship and Bundesliga). He really needs to turn things around though as failing to even make WBA's bench in the second tier is a shocking decline from just 18 months ago (starting and scoring in the Bundesliga).

I remember an article in the paper predicting Harper and Barry Lavety would be Scotland's starting pairing up front by 1998 - and I actually believed it too! 

44 minutes ago, Rude Gullit said:

I know what you mean but I think Burke's at a much higher level in terms of his athletic ability (clocked as the 3rd fastest player in world football last season) and starting point (Championship and Bundesliga). He really needs to turn things around though as failing to even make WBA's bench in the second tier is a shocking decline from just 18 months ago (starting and scoring in the Bundesliga).

I remember an article in the paper predicting Harper and Barry Lavety would be Scotland's starting pairing up front by 1998 - and I actually believed it too! 

Reminds me of an article I once read in the early the 2000's predicting Stephen Simmons of hearts at the time,  would star for Scotland at World Cup 2006 and Stephen hughes of rangers would be Scotlands main man at Euro 2008. 

All a big fcukin LOL all round looking back now. 

1 hour ago, JECK said:

Reminds me of an article I once read in the early the 2000's predicting Stephen Simmons of hearts at the time,  would star for Scotland at World Cup 2006 and Stephen hughes of rangers would be Scotlands main man at Euro 2008. 

All a big fcukin LOL all round looking back now. 

Our front 4 should now be Harper, Feruz, Gauld and Burke. 

20 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Both were performing much better than Cooper. I really don't rate him. 

Probably boring the arse of every one with the who scored ratings but he was as good if not better than both of them,one thing for sure was that Greer was never going to be anything other than a bench player at the age he got involved , and the experience on the bench attitude got us in the mess we were in.

So far Mcleish seems to be sorting this out and while trying to qualify isn't doing it at the expense of the future of the national team.

I suppose the question now is do we totally reject the likes of Cairney, Cooper and Shinnie who are all the wrong side of 25 and have no international experience between them through no fault of their own.