Scottish Players in Action 18/19 - Page 33 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in Action 18/19

PASTA Mick

3 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

But to quote your own argument from earlier, he hasn't played many games either and not at a high level. I talking about players we could use within the next 12-18 months in friendlies.

It really does not help us when we all (and I have been guilty of it) start labelling this and that young Scot as a "young hope" and things like that as we always know how it ends up. We just have to wait and see.

I still say MacGillivray is a worth the management monitoring just in case.

We need to Scottish goalkeepers aged under thirty to become available for selection now

But we don't need keepers right now. It's 2-3 years from now when Gordon, McGregor and Marshall will be close to finishing up we need to have an eye on. 

Definitely Ruddy's career is no better than McG's, but he is 5 years younger and on the books of an EPL club. Chances are he'll not break through there, but he's in a more encouraging position than McG who I'm happy to bet will never get near the EPL.

And yeah I'm too jaded from the Burchill's Watt's feruz's etc etc of the last 20 years to assume any young player is going to be 'great'. I just see more sense in pinpointing good (no more than that) young potential like ruddy rather than messing around with journeymen like McG. Of course if McG goes stellar and signs for Chelsea then that all changes, but I just don't see enough in a 25 y/o lower leaguer at the moment to make me think that would ever happen

3 hours ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Another win for Verona. Henderson played 85 minutes. They're top.

Only a few games gone but it'd be great to have Scots in the top flights of Spain, Italy and Germany!

If you offered me one out of three I'd take it immediately! 

9 hours ago, SWMM82 said:

Watching the Aberdeen v Hibs game.... we all know about McKenna, but Ryan Porteus has got some potential! Bit rash at times, but reads the game well and can play a fair bit!

Really like the look of Porteous last night, played in the centre of a back 3 which is a big ask of a 19 year old but marshalled his defence excellently. Looks a great prospect. Needs to iron out the rash tackles but at the same time you don't want to see the aggression leave his game, looks a prospect

23 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

He'll never get called up now and not really sure why he was overlooked for years when he was one of the most consistent players in the Championship but Craig Bryson was superb for Derby last night.

Watched the game on record after the Hibs-Aberdeen game.

Decent player but there were simply better options playing at a higher level when he was at his best. The likes of Fletcher, Morrison, Dorrans, Adam, Bannan, McArthur were all in the league above, add in Brown and you can see why he never quite got in. 

15 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

He'll never get called up now and not really sure why he was overlooked for years when he was one of the most consistent players in the Championship but Craig Bryson was superb for Derby last night.

Watched the game on record after the Hibs-Aberdeen game.

Craig Bryson (and Ross Wallace for that matter) certainly did deserve more of a chance to show what he could offer at international level. The truth is probably that Levein and Strachan were far too lazy and unimaginative to watch him regularly or figure out where to fit him into the XI.

A quick look at the rsssf Scotland pages reminds us of the midfielders we played when Bryson was at his peak - Brown, D Fletcher, Snodgrass, Morrison, McArthur, Maloney, Adam, Bannan, Dorrans, Cowie and Robson.

Only got three caps didn't he ? And one of them whilst at Killie.

He's a big hero to the Derby supporters, they love him to bits.

6 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Decent player but there were simply better options playing at a higher level when he was at his best. The likes of Fletcher, Morrison, Dorrans, Adam, Bannan, McArthur were all in the league above, add in Brown and you can see why he never quite got in. 

I could name some utter shite that got in ahead of him too. 

On 9/24/2018 at 6:12 PM, ErsatzThistle said:

Just putting this oot there.

Portsmouth's 25 year old goalkeeper - Craig MacGillivray - apparently is eligible for us through his Scots born father. And he has not played for England youths at all.

If he's playing Championship football next year why not call him up ? A young goalie is something we do need.

Btw who would object to seeing Michael Devlin and maybe even Craig Halkett called up for a friendly at some point in the next twelve months ?

To think that less than a year ago we could hardly think of a good centre back!

Harry Souttar is playing for Stoke tonight, Charlie Adam and Darren Fletcher are also playing but their time has passed.

Lewis MacLeod is on the bench for Brentford tonight.

Klopp is resting Andy Robertson tonight. And yes I do remember last year that I was saying how he wasn't Klopp's signing and it was all looking gloomy for Robertson at Liverpool. What a fool I was  :hammer:

18 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

To think that less than a year ago we could hardly think of a good centre back!

Aye, and now we have John Souttar and Scott McKenna right in there. Then there's others like Michael Devlin, Ryan Porteous and Craig Halkett* to think about.

We might even have found our new right back/wing back in Stephen O'Donnell. 

All six defenders mentioned above are Scottish Premiership players too, which is nice to see. 

*Some people will sneer because he plays for Livingston but I think he's one to have a look at.

1 minute ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Harry Souttar is playing for Stoke tonight, Charlie Adam and Darren Fletcher are also playing but their time has passed.

Lewis MacLeod is on the bench for Brentford tonight.

Klopp is resting Andy Robertson tonight. And yes I do remember last year that I was saying how he wasn't Klopp's signing and it was all looking gloomy for Robertson at Liverpool. What a fool I was  :hammer:

Aye, and now we have John Souttar and Scott McKenna right in there. Then there's others like Michael Devlin, Ryan Porteous and Craig Halkett* to think about.

We might even have found our new right back/wing back in Stephen O'Donnell. 

All six defenders mentioned above are Scottish Premiership players too, which is nice to see. 

*Some people will sneer because he plays for Livingston but I think he's one to have a look at.

Jack Hendry too. Despite the current confidence crisis I think he's a quality modern CB