Scottish Players in Action 18/19 - Page 32 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in Action 18/19

PASTA Mick

29 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

Yeah, I'm a bit of an optimist, but I'm getting to the point that I think it's time to give up on following his career. Very sad. 

The lad is 22, has played over 150 games of professional football, has stuck it out in Portugal when it would have been easier to come back to Scotland, has learnt the language, by all accounts loves his life there and still has 2 years left on his deal with Sporting.  To say it's "very sad" is a total overreaction.  It wasn't long ago that people were writing off John Souttar because he wasn't physical enough for Scottish football.  Give the lad a chance...he might not go on to get 100 caps and play for Barcelona but i'll stick my neck out and say he'll still have a very decent career.

17 minutes ago, hawickta said:

The lad is 22, has played over 150 games of professional football, has stuck it out in Portugal when it would have been easier to come back to Scotland, has learnt the language, by all accounts loves his life there and still has 2 years left on his deal with Sporting.  To say it's "very sad" is a total overreaction.  It wasn't long ago that people were writing off John Souttar because he wasn't physical enough for Scottish football.  Give the lad a chance...he might not go on to get 100 caps and play for Barcelona but i'll stick my neck out and say he'll still have a very decent career.

Perhaps I should have been more clear. I meant very sad for the TA, not for Gauld. Watching that interview where he is speaking Portuguese, and reading about how much he has taken to his life over there, I am full of nothing but respect and happiness for the lad, and delighted he's enjoying his life in a way I never had the guts to do at his age!

That said, I'm sad because I think he was such an exciting young talent and now it seems his potential is never going to be fulfilled on the football pitch. He cant hold down a regular team spot in any of the places he goes out to on loan (never mind his parent club) in a league that really is not much better quality than the Scottish Premiership. He is 22, and such a talent at that age should be playing 90 minutes every week, unless he's now not the talent we once thought he was, or every Portuguese team who has managed him has missed something? It's not me that needs to give him a chance, it's them.

I really hope you're right and I am wrong, but at the moment it looks like he has an unbelievably long way to go to pull on a Scotland shirt.

18 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

Perhaps I should have been more clear. I meant very sad for the TA, not for Gauld. Watching that interview where he is speaking Portuguese, and reading about how much he has taken to his life over there, I am full of nothing but respect and happiness for the lad, and delighted he's enjoying his life in a way I never had the guts to do at his age!

That said, I'm sad because I think he was such an exciting young talent and now it seems his potential is never going to be fulfilled on the football pitch. He cant hold down a regular team spot in any of the places he goes out to on loan (never mind his parent club) in a league that really is not much better quality than the Scottish Premiership. He is 22, and such a talent at that age should be playing 90 minutes every week, unless he's now not the talent we once thought he was, or every Portuguese team who has managed him has missed something? It's not me that needs to give him a chance, it's them.

I really hope you're right and I am wrong, but at the moment it looks like he has an unbelievably long way to go to pull on a Scotland shirt.

Agree with this

26 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

and yet had the player who left Dundee Utd played against Albania instead of Mcgregor, we’d probably have won 4-0. 

14 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

and yet had the player who left Dundee Utd played against Albania instead of Mcgregor, we’d probably have won 4-0. 

Calum McGregor is the reason we have a bit of hope still with Gauld as McGregor didn't get his first Scotland cap until he was 24. McGregor is a good player if Gauld is as good as McGregor we will have another good player only disappointing thing is we all hoped he would be a great player.

Edited by bazmidd

1 hour ago, bazmidd said:

Calum McGregor is the reason we have a bit of hope still with Gauld as McGregor didn't get his first Scotland cap until he was 24. McGregor is a good player if Gauld is as good as McGregor we will have another good player only disappointing thing is we all hoped he would be a great player.

McGregor is a good player, no argument there. 

Just putting this oot there.

Portsmouth's 25 year old goalkeeper - Craig MacGillivray - apparently is eligible for us through his Scots born father. And he has not played for England youths at all.

If he's playing Championship football next year why not call him up ? A young goalie is something we do need.

Btw who would object to seeing Michael Devlin and maybe even Craig Halkett called up for a friendly at some point in the next twelve months ?

33 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Portsmouth's 25 year old goalkeeper - Craig MacGillivray - apparently is eligible for us through his Scots born father. And he has not played for England youths at all.

That is the find  of the century if you are right.

Looking at the Portsmouth squad apart from two Irishmen the rest of the squad are all English, is that allowed these days?

12 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

That is the find  of the century if you are right.

Looking at the Portsmouth squad apart from two Irishmen the rest of the squad are all English, is that allowed these days?

Admittedly I was only going on a line that his father was a Scottish former rugby player.

However if Criag MacGillivray really is eligible for Scotland then it would do no harm to at least get the paperwork processed now.

As I say he has not played for England youths and if his link to Scotland is through his father then that's fine by me.

Portsmouth are a good bet for promotion and he's their regular keeper.

He's on twitter, so someone could ask him .....

Edited by ErsatzThistle

58 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Admittedly I was only going on a line that his father was a Scottish former rugby player.

However if Criag MacGillivray really is eligible for Scotland then it would do no harm to at least get the paperwork processed now.

As I say he has not played for England youths and if his link to Scotland is through his father then that's fine by me.

Portsmouth are a good bet for promotion and he's their regular keeper.

He's on twitter, so someone could ask him .....

Where did you see this? Can't seem to find anything on his Scottish dad online.

2 minutes ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Where did you see this? Can't seem to find anything on his Scottish dad online.

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/pompey/pompey-keeper-macgillivray-s-not-winging-it-any-more-1-8584524

The son of a Scottish rugby union player for Galashiels, MacGillivray had never played football before moving to England at the age of six.

Read more at: https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/pompey/pompey-keeper-macgillivray-s-not-winging-it-any-more-1-8584524

As I say, someone should tweet him and see what he has to say about his eligibility.

5 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/pompey/pompey-keeper-macgillivray-s-not-winging-it-any-more-1-8584524

As I say, someone should tweet him and see what he has to say about his eligibility.

Thank you!

Article actually states that he was born in Scotland! Wiki says otherwise but as long as his dad was then he's eligible. 

Hopefully someone can confirm.

17 hours ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Thank you!

Article actually states that he was born in Scotland! Wiki says otherwise but as long as his dad was then he's eligible. 

Hopefully someone can confirm.

Not really too excited by that tbh. He's 25 and seems anchored at League One level and hasn't really played many games in his career. Not particularly young or 'on the up'. Worth keeping an eye on though, yes.

38 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Who else is there then ?

MacGillivray seems like a highly inexperienced keeper, he's hardly played any first team football in his career considering his age and level. He's almost played more this season than he has any other season ever and it's September.

Looking around for more accomplished and proven keepers to back up Gordon and McGregor, we've got:
David Marshall, 33, he's not Hulls number 1 in the Championship.
Jon McLaughlin, 30, played every league game for Sunderland, did ok against Mexico imo.
Scott Bain, 26, waiting in the wings to become Celtic number 1. Did well against Mexico imo.
Jordan Archer, 25, weird one. Bombed out of the Milwall side with the manager saying they were shipping too many goals. He'd let in 6 in 5 league games, which is pretty stingy tbh. They've shipped 7 in 4 since dropping him. Despite his crazy moment against Peru, he's a pretty consistent Championship keeper.

So for me there's 6 players miles ahead of a complete unknown who's only just started to get games in League One.

Looking to the distant future, there's players like Fulton, Ruddy, McCrorie, Doohan.

So if MacGillivray comes good, then great. But he's by no means required or expected.

On 9/22/2018 at 4:15 PM, Caledonian Craig said:

John McGinn hits a cracking goal for Villa as they equalise at home to Sheff Wed.

Was a game that showed McGinn's best and worst. The goal is obviously spectacular, but he also got robbed due to lingering in possession too long as we've seen happen to him in a Scotland shirt in the last few games.

McGinn's a difficult one for me. He does great things, but he can also be a disaster. Honestly think he needs to develop a bit more before being ready for a regular spot in the middle for Scotland.

28 minutes ago, andyD said:

MacGillivray seems like a highly inexperienced keeper, he's hardly played any first team football in his career considering his age and level. He's almost played more this season than he has any other season ever and it's September.

Looking around for more accomplished and proven keepers to back up Gordon and McGregor, we've got:
David Marshall, 33, he's not Hulls number 1 in the Championship.
Jon McLaughlin, 30, played every league game for Sunderland, did ok against Mexico imo.
Scott Bain, 26, waiting in the wings to become Celtic number 1. Did well against Mexico imo.
Jordan Archer, 25, weird one. Bombed out of the Milwall side with the manager saying they were shipping too many goals. He'd let in 6 in 5 league games, which is pretty stingy tbh. They've shipped 7 in 4 since dropping him. Despite his crazy moment against Peru, he's a pretty consistent Championship keeper.

So for me there's 6 players miles ahead of a complete unknown who's only just started to get games in League One.

Looking to the distant future, there's players like Fulton, Ruddy, McCrorie, Doohan.

So if MacGillivray comes good, then great. But he's by no means required or expected.

You take things far too seriously.

9 minutes ago, Rude Gullit said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Ruddy

Seems a decent candidate and at 20 is a proper 'young hope'

But to quote your own argument from earlier, he hasn't played many games either and not at a high level. I talking about players we could use within the next 12-18 months in friendlies.

It really does not help us when we all (and I have been guilty of it) start labelling this and that young Scot as a "young hope" and things like that as we always know how it ends up. We just have to wait and see.

I still say MacGillivray is a worth the management monitoring just in case.

We need to Scottish goalkeepers aged under thirty to become available for selection now.