Scottish Players in Action 18/19 - Page 29 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in Action 18/19

PASTA Mick

15 hours ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Played 90 minutes and they won 1-0

Whoscored.com have him as an above average average player for the league and a well above average player if you take away his poor debut.

Probably not a bad place to be at his age but I don't think he will be properly tested until next season'

Mcburnie didn't start yesterday  and Burke wasn't even on bench.

McGinn and Robertson played well though as did Liam Cooper.................

44 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Whoscored.com have him as an above average average player for the league and a well above average player if you take away his poor debut.

Probably not a bad place to be at his age but I don't think he will be properly tested until next season'

I would say he’s playing at a high level this season. Certainly miles higher than at his previous club, and no one seems worried about McKenna and Souttar. 

Surely the lad Dembele wouldn't play for England with that accent?! Has there ever been a player with a Scottish accent to play for England before do you think? We've had loads of English accents in our  team in recent history obviously.

25 minutes ago, JECK said:

Surely the lad Dembele wouldn't play for England with that accent?! Has there ever been a player with a Scottish accent to play for England before do you think? We've had loads of English accents in our  team in recent history obviously.

John Bain was born in Scotland but played for England. That was over 100 years ago though and I’m not sure what his accent was like. 

3 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Saw that Burke wasn't on the bench. Do you know why?

33 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Saw that Burke wasn't on the bench. Do you know why?

Nothing on Google. To be honest it seems like he's falling out of the reckoning there. These last 2 years have been a pretty catastrophic decline for him. Disappointing in the extreme as from what I've seen he's clearly good enough to at least sit on the bench for an English second tier team

4 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

I would say he’s playing at a high level this season. Certainly miles higher than at his previous club, and no one seems worried about McKenna and Souttar. 

It's very hard to compare leagues, but again using who scored.com players ratings players seem to drop by 0.50 when moving from the championship to the EPL. On the other hand Johnny Russel seems to have improved 0.5 moving to the MLS so does it follow the the championship is better then the MLS  by the same amount as the EPL to the championship? On another hand Barry Douglas's  ratings are higher in the championship than the were in Turkey. Never ending circle trying to compare leagues.

The champions league and Europa league are covered so I guess the standard of Scottish football can be measured there to a degree.(the nations league too but as we are in such a low group our ratings are on a par with France) 

I know I pay a lot of attention to a ratings site but the best players in the world are easily to spot and some others who look good at their level are found out when moving up.

Another thing of interest is the age players peak at, most of Scotland's better players seem to peak at a lot  earlier age than i thought while the best players in the world reach a very standard very early and maintain it for a lot longer.

Oh and Ronaldo is better than Messi!

15 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

It's very hard to compare leagues, but again using who scored.com players ratings players seem to drop by 0.50 when moving from the championship to the EPL. On the other hand Johnny Russel seems to have improved 0.5 moving to the MLS so does it follow the the championship is better then the MLS  by the same amount as the EPL to the championship? On another hand Barry Douglas's  ratings are higher in the championship than the were in Turkey. Never ending circle trying to compare leagues.

The champions league and Europa league are covered so I guess the standard of Scottish football can be measured there to a degree.(the nations league too but as we are in such a low group our ratings are on a par with France) 

I know I pay a lot of attention to a ratings site but the best players in the world are easily to spot and some others who look good at their level are found out when moving up.

Another thing of interest is the age players peak at, most of Scotland's better players seem to peak at a lot  earlier age than i thought while the best players in the world reach a very standard very early and maintain it for a lot longer.

Oh and Ronaldo is better than Messi!

I think Hamburg would hump most Scottish sides as would most teams in their league. 

7 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I think Hamburg would hump most Scottish sides as would most teams in their league. 

I would go as far as to say I know so, that's just one team though and could be the same as Celtic here over the last few years, one team doesn't make the league any good. Looking forward to seeing how Armstrong does, if he can even get in the team that is. I dd know he has been injured,

just noticed you said most teams, I would certainly hope not

Edited by ceudmilefailte

30 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

They certainly wouldn’t hump Rangers (where Bates came from) or Celtic. I doubt they would hump any top 6 side. 

They were absolutely abysmal last year and haven’t exactly strengthened their playing staff. 

As for the rest of the 2. Bundesliga sides, I would say they appear to be on the same level as Hearts/Hibs/Aberdeen, with the exception of Dresden and Cologne. It’s difficult to say though. 

4 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I forgot about him. 

I’m sure he wanted to play for Scotland but wasn’t eligible due to the daft rules at the time. 

Country of birth was your only option back then. Joe's big brother Gerry Baker was born in New York and had to play for the USA.

On 9/17/2018 at 3:04 PM, mccaughey85 said:

Jordan archer will probably be our keeper in the future. Wether that's a good or bad thing I don't know, not seen much of him. He is doing ok in the championship from what I hear. Hopefully mccrorie of rangers turns into a good keeper.

Just checking were Archer had disappeared to, he appears to be third choice at Millwall all of a sudden

At West Brom Dwight Gayle and Jay Rodriguez are very much the first choice strikers. Harvey Barnes is playing really well btw in the number 10 position (wasn't there talk on here he had some Scottish blood). Then you have Matt Phillips in the wide role...

Going to be a struggle for Burke to start many games tbh, best he can do is come on as a sub and score or set up a goal and then he might eventually get a run of games. Hasn't really looked like doing that in his spell at WBA so far. Maybe a loan to another championship club in January where he can get a regular game.

On 19 September 2018 at 12:18 PM, er yir macaroon said:

If you are talking about David Bates then you would be wrong.  Bundesliga 2 isn't a great standard. 

7 minutes ago, aaid said:

If you are talking about David Bates then you would be wrong.  Bundesliga 2 isn't a great standard. 

Correct, having watched several Kaiserslautern games last year I can testify to that.

And I know they were shite but the standard in general wasn't great. Worse than Championship level for sure IMO.

3 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Hmm, i wouldn’t put my money on too many SPFL sides over two-legs. 

Like all leagues there is a spread of quality from teams at the top of the league to  teams at the bottom.

I wouldn't fancy Dundee's chances against Hamburg but similarly I wouldn't fancy Duisburg's chances against Hearts.

There are some pretty big clubs - fallen on hard times - such as Hamburg and Koln but there's a lot of rubbish in there as well.

Overall I'd say that the standard is probably comparable to the Scottish Premiership.  It's certainly not higher.

For Bates, leaving Rangers to go to Hamburg in Bundesliga 2 is a sideways move, if they get promoted and he gets to play regularly in the Bundesliga then its a good move but that's a big if.

Goal for Griff coming off the bench. We're obviously away to Israel in next match but if he naisy keep up some form going into that game I wouldn't half like to see them play upfront the 'gither.

Edited by JECK