Scottish Players in Action 18/19 - Page 27 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in Action 18/19

PASTA Mick

5 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Fraser won't be at Bournemouth much longer if he keeps up this form. 

Would a move be a good thing though? And where to? One of the much bigger EPL clubs? No thanks as he'd be less inclined to be a first team regular with overseas players who have cost big transfers being given preference over him. He is playing at the same high level just now and getting regular first team football and in a rich vein of form so I see no need to threaten all of those positives for a starry-eyed shot at a big club that can so easily go pear-shaped.

13 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Would a move be a good thing though? And where to? One of the much bigger EPL clubs? No thanks as he'd be less inclined to be a first team regular with overseas players who have cost big transfers being given preference over him. He is playing at the same high level just now and getting regular first team football and in a rich vein of form so I see no need to threaten all of those positives for a starry-eyed shot at a big club that can so easily go pear-shaped.

I am happy for him to stay at Bournemouth but reality is he will be attracting interest with his performances this season. Hopefully wherever he is we can get the best out of him for Scotland. Bournemouth is providing him with regular game time and he is performing well there so it would be good for him to stay there.

29 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Fraser looked terrific. It’s hard though to see how he’ll get a game if we stick with 3-5-2 or whatever it was. 

that was my exact thoughts while watching match of the day - hes a quality player in great form we have to make sure we utilise it 

I was thinking of possibly a 3-4-3 with him on the left hand side of the top 3, however this would leave us light in the centre of midfield but i think you could take that risk against Israel and Albania 

7 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Fraser won't be at Bournemouth much longer if he keeps up this form. Hopefully him pulling out was  honest enough as he did turn up for the squad to start with. Guy needs to start games for us as he's clearly a talent.

I agree. Personally I think we need to find the best formation for Fraser, even it means leaving out one of Robertson or Tierney - although I think there are options in which we can include all 3. 

11 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Behave. If you aren't fit you shouldn't play. 

I've had injuries where I've struggled to walk on the Saturday night after a match but been okay for Wednesday. It doesn't take much to keep a player out of a match. 

Fraser does seem to make a big of a habit of calling off and then playing in his next club game though. 

On current form we should be playing Fraser and not as a wing back.  If we are playing a 4-5-1 he is one of the three attacking mids, and in a 3-5-2 id have him up front with Naismith or playing just off.  

Im still not convinced about three at the back.  We looked dangerous when Tierney joined the attack on Monday, but it kind of leaves us short at the back.  

15 hours ago, Bino's said:

Ryan Giggs 75 caps

He should have had 140

a) he only earned 64 caps

b) that's actually a decent amount. How many Scotland players have topped that in the last 20 years? Miller, Weir, Fletcher, Dailly all with 65-80. Apart from Weir who had a spell out after a disagreement with Vogts, none of those guys had reputations as being regular dubious call-offs

Not saying Giggs didn't call off a bit too much, but the way some people talk about it you'd think he had 4 caps or something.

Edited by Rude Gullit

4 hours ago, Rude Gullit said:

a) he only earned 64 caps

b) that's actually a decent amount. How many Scotland players have topped that in the last 20 years? Miller, Weir, Fletcher, Dailly all with 65-80. Apart from Weir who had a spell out after a disagreement with Vogts, none of those guys had reputations as being regular dubious call-offs

Not saying Giggs didn't call off a bit too much, but the way some people talk about it you'd think he had 4 caps or something.

To be fair, we've not had a player anywhere near the quality of Giggs, a player that would have started pretty much every match he was available for around 15 years! 

24 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

To be fair, we've not had a player anywhere near the quality of Giggs, a player that would have started pretty much every match he was available for around 15 years! 

Wales have

Bale's got more caps than Giggs and he's 29

Edited by Bino's

1 hour ago, SkyBlueScot said:

To see the praise being handed out this weekend (and has been building for a while) to Fraser is heart warming. (https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2018/sep/17/premier-league-10-talking-points-from-the-weekend-action).  Fraser, Robertson, Tierney, McKenna, Souttar and McGregor. What a core of a team that's emerging!

He’s getting a bit of a slagging for his diving as well. 

Maybe he’ll get us s few penalties if he plays over the next two months. 😂

7 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

He’s getting a bit of a slagging for his diving as well. 

Maybe he’ll get us s few penalties if he plays over the next two months. 😂

I said that before the last two matches.  Fraser won more penalties than any other player in the EPL last season and was the 15th most fouled player.  The season before he was the 8th most fouled.

Both Forrest and Fraser both win a lot of free-kicks.  This is very useful when you have players like Mulgrew and Griffiths on the pitch.

Winning lots of free-kicks also means more yellow and red cards for the opposition.

Edited by PASTA Mick

3 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

I said that before the last two matches.  Forrest and Fraser both win a lot of free-kicks.  This is very useful when you have players like Mulgrew and Griffiths on the pitch.

Winning lots of free-kicks also means more yellow and red cards for the opposition.

There’s a difference between riding challenges to win free kicks and blatant diving. The latter also gets yellow and red cards for us. 

2 hours ago, SkyBlueScot said:

To see the praise being handed out this weekend (and has been building for a while) to Fraser is heart warming. (https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2018/sep/17/premier-league-10-talking-points-from-the-weekend-action).  Fraser, Robertson, Tierney, McKenna, Souttar and McGregor. What a core of a team that's emerging!

Porteous at Hibs is the CB you need to be watching 

31 minutes ago, Rude Gullit said:

You just know we're going to end up a year or two from now with 8 really solid, young CBs and no strikers at all :(

You'd hope one or more of Hornby, McBurnie or Shaw will make the grade. 

The dearth of young goalkeepers coming through worries me. If no one emerges in the next couple of years we could find ourselves with a decent midfield and defence but with a haddie in goal. A genuine, bone fide, flapping, flailing, punchline-to-a-Jimmy Greaves-quip, haddie. 

1 minute ago, scotlad said:

You'd hope one or more of Hornby, McBurnie or Shaw will make the grade. 

The dearth of young goalkeepers coming through worries me. If no one emerges in the next couple of years we could find ourselves with a decent midfield and defence but with a haddie in goal. A genuine, bone fide, flapping, flailing, punchline-to-a-Jimmy Greaves-quip, haddie. 

Jack Harper now getting regular games for Malaga may also be an option up front.