Scottish Players in Action 18/19 - Page 24 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in Action 18/19

PASTA Mick

44 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

That's a cracker, and I just hope that's where Scotland fans appreciate his talents lie. He is very much a Kante type player, much like Fletcher was in his prime so I just hope the TA don't expect a Giggs or Ronaldo playing for us

Correct me if I am wrong as I am no expert on Man Utd but didn't they sign Fred for this position therefore dropping Mctominey down the pecking order?

2 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I don't rate Tony Watt, so a poor example it's the short term fix attitude that I have a problem with Heaven help us if we qualify and take a 33 year old Naismith to the finals.

Rhodes or Cummings would be far better solutions

Watt has pace, power and a natural finish. The others have one or two out of those three. Watt may be a bam but he still has more in his locker that Rhodes and Cummings (albeit Cummings might just have it as there is something there). 

11 hours ago, hannibal smith said:

He did, i remember there were three hearts players who travelled to Malta,  Watt, Patterson and Hamilton. 

Google it.

For Malta in 2016? Are you sure? He certainly wasn’t on the bench so must have pulled out of the squad if he was selected. 

14 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Sounds like club football

Bring in mediocrity as a short term fix thus stifling  our young players development  , only difference the mediocrity is Scottish not foreign 

It’s not really McLeish’s job to nurture the young players. That’s Scot Gemmill’s job as well as the Scotland youth coaches. 

McLeish’s job is to get us to Euro 2020. 

I’d rather have a mediocre player who is experienced at international football and playing under pressure in front of big crowds than a mediocre younger player, just because they are young. 

A hugely important game like the one we have on Monday night is not the time to blood youngsters. 

33 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Sounds like club football

Bring in mediocrity as a short term fix thus stifling  our young players development  , only difference the mediocrity is Scottish not foreign 

If I was Mcleish I’d say give me a ten year contract and I will take a ten year horizon.  Like all jobs reward drives behaviour...  if I’m getting the sack for not mak8ng euro 2020 I don’t give a monkeys about 2022.

14 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

It’s not really McLeish’s job to nurture the young players. That’s Scot Gemmill’s job as well as the Scotland youth coaches. 

McLeish’s job is to get us to Euro 2020. 

I’d rather have a mediocre player who is experienced at international football and playing under pressure in front of big crowds than a mediocre younger player, just because they are young. 

A hugely important game like the one we have on Monday night is not the time to blood youngsters. 

13 hours ago, Malcolm said:

If I was Mcleish I’d say give me a ten year contract and I will take a ten year horizon.  Like all jobs reward drives behaviour...  if I’m getting the sack for not mak8ng euro 2020 I don’t give a monkeys about 2022.

Your both right I have been a bit unfair here. We have lost some of our best young prospects so I suppose bringing in some  experience is the right thing to do

The likes of Cummings and Watt have a bucket load to prove to look like a better prospect than McBurnie so it'a bit of a knee jerk reaction to think yea but Naismith will be 33 when the finals come round.

Mcburnie will have proved if he is good enough or not by then and Cummings or Watt and some other youngsters might come through in the next two years.

Think if I was an employer I might come across as a bit ageist 

4 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Your both right I have been a bit unfair here. We have lost some of our best young prospects so I suppose bringing in some  experience is the right thing to do

The likes of Cummings and Watt have a bucket load to prove to look like a better prospect than McBurnie so it'a bit of a knee jerk reaction to think yea but Naismith will be 33 when the finals come round.

Mcburnie will have proved if he is good enough or not by then and Cummings or Watt and some other youngsters might come through in the next two years.

Think if I was an employer I might come across as a bit ageist 

Im completely for playing young players if they are the best option in their position.  I equally don’t agree with they are not old enough for Scotland chat.

10 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Doubt Watt or Cummings are good enough.

Scotland manager can’t be picking players who aren’t established at their clubs unless there’s unusual circumstances. 

Unfortunately doubt neither are good enough to make a significant impact at top level international football - its shame as well as if they were mentally mature enough i think they could have developed to be better players then they will turn out to be   

45 minutes ago, Bino's said:

Did he not pull out of the last squad

The miraculous recoveries that happen after international breaks are ridiculous.

Whatever happened to the rule where you weren’t allowed to play for a certain number of days after pulling out of an international? 

29 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

The miraculous recoveries that happen after international breaks are ridiculous.

Whatever happened to the rule where you weren’t allowed to play for a certain number of days after pulling out of an international? 

Cairney appears to be genuinely injured

Will be interesting to see if mcburnie plays

2 minutes ago, Bino's said:

Cairney appears to be genuinely injured

Will be interesting to see if mcburnie plays

In fairness I think Cairney, McBurnie,, Phillips and Ritchie were all genuinely injured to one degree or another. 

Phillips couldn’t have been that bad though since he played tonight. Any minor knock and some players pull out. I suppose their clubs probably make them though. 

McBurnie is desperate to do well for us (going by his interviews) so I don’t think there’s any chance he was at it. 

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

In fairness I think Cairney, McBurnie,, Phillips and Ritchie were all genuinely injured to one degree or another. 

Phillips couldn’t have been that bad though since he played tonight. Any minor knock and some players pull out. I suppose their clubs probably make them though. 

McBurnie is desperate to do well for us (going by his interviews) so I don’t think there’s any chance he was at it. 

No, they're just English and don't care as much

7 hours ago, Bino's said:

No, they're just English and don't care as much

Jeez we are already struggling for strikers and you want McBurnie and Phillips chucked out (that is the way it seems) because they withdraw from a squad with injury. You do realise that probably almost all of our squad has done it at one stage or another. Axe them as well?