Scottish Players in Action 18/19 - Page 22 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in Action 18/19

PASTA Mick

Granted it is hard to judge 4 games compared to a longer spell, but looking at 4 games of any spell can't imagine 4 goals and 4 assists would be best or beaten by much. I reckon he is worthy of a call up.

Edited by romanticscot

2 hours ago, andyD said:

4 games in those stats mean basically nothing.

I understand they are low number statistics and he might have just been having an outlier of a month, but if you include the other factors then you're getting closer to statistical significance:
1) He's an experienced international player with goals.
2) He's not up against many better options
3) He's on form right now, and confidence can count for so much in football.

I'm not saying he's the best striker we have, I'm just saying it's definitely worth considering him for these two matches.

What are the arguments against having him on the bench? 

5 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

Screw forward thinking for at least the second game, we need 3 points. 

Personally I think Naismith ended up at Hearts because he wasn't good enough for Norwich, So I think the guy that is three years younger and gets a game for Norwich is a better choice I reckon Rhodes is better,

There you go andyD I do agree with you some times

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Personally I think Naismith ended up at Hearts because he wasn't good enough for Norwich, So I think the guy that is three years younger and gets a game for Norwich is a better choice I reckon Rhodes is better,

There you go andyD I do agree with you some times

Rhodes is getting a game for Norwich at the moment but will he continue to? He’s never really managed to cement a starting place in any team he’s played for. 

I am not against Rhodes getting a call up but whether he is better than Naismith is debatable. They are different types of players as well so it’s hard to compare them. 

Naismith is on fire at the moment so his call up is warranted. 

1 minute ago, bookerman said:

http://freezersports.com/pre/pre13.php

Anyone who intrested Jack harper has just scored his first senior goal for Malaga to put them 1-0 up 👍

Brilliant stuff. I just saw the goal come up on Flashscores (Yes, I do have notifications set for any team involving a Scotland player. Isn't that normal?...) So chuffed for him. I'm really glad he's finally being given a solid chance to start a run of games.

34 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

Brilliant stuff. I just saw the goal come up on Flashscores (Yes, I do have notifications set for any team involving a Scotland player. Isn't that normal?...) So chuffed for him. I'm really glad he's finally being given a solid chance to start a run of games.

How do you set that up? 

Asking for a friend.

42 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

like the idea of that will have to have a look at it myself 

43 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

Also asking for a friend?

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

Rhodes is getting a game for Norwich at the moment but will he continue to? He’s never really managed to cement a starting place in any team he’s played for. 

I am not against Rhodes getting a call up but whether he is better than Naismith is debatable. They are different types of players as well so it’s hard to compare them. 

Naismith is on fire at the moment so his call up is warranted. 

Don't think 3 goals against ST Mirren really counts a on fire and he is replacing an out and out striker more like Rhodes

Probably think what I think more because I have never rated Naismith for any thing other than his work rate.

Maybe Rhodes will come and play in the SPL some day

Haha tell your friends that if they use the Flashscores app they just have to search for a team they are interested in and click the star button to add them to 'My Teams'. That will then do two really useful things:

1) In the 'My Teams' section it shows you a 7-day schedule for all the upcoming fixtures for the teams you follow.
2) It send you a notification when a team you follow have just kicked off, any goals are scored, and the final score.

It's very easy to set up, and the app is easily the best I've used for football scores and many other sports. These functions are very useful for a guy like myself who now identifies as a supporter of any team with a Scotland player, so therefore has a lot of matches to keep an eye on.

Edited by mrniaboc

10 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Don't think 3 goals against ST Mirren really counts a on fire and he is replacing an out and out striker more like Rhodes

Probably think what I think more because I have never rated Naismith for any thing other than his work rate.

Maybe Rhodes will come and play in the SPL some day

I wasn’t basing it on just the St Mirren game. Hearts are top of the league and Naismith has scored 7 goals so far this season. I could be wrong and can’t be bothered looking into it but I think that might be more than Griffiths, McBurnie and Russell put together. 

I haven’t seen that much of Hearts this season but when I have watched them Naismith looked pretty good. 

His best is certainly behind him and he’s not a long term solution but I don’t have a problem with him providing injury cover. 

A younger, better player would certainly be preferable but we’re pretty thin on the ground when it comes to those. 

11 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I wasn’t basing it on just the St Mirren game. Hearts are top of the league and Naismith has scored 7 goals so far this season. I could be wrong and can’t be bothered looking into it but I think that might be more than Griffiths, McBurnie and Russell put together. 

I haven’t seen that much of Hearts this season but when I have watched them Naismith looked pretty good. 

His best is certainly behind him and he’s not a long term solution but I don’t have a problem with him providing injury cover. 

A younger, better player would certainly be preferable but we’re pretty thin on the ground when it comes to those. 

Naismith has been the stand out player this season for Hearts and is noticeably sharper than at the end of last season after a proper preseason.

strange call to bring him in after McBurnie pulling out as although he has been in amongst the goals he has been playing in midfield, often in a deep role. 

10 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Jason Cummings has 6 goals in 6 games this season and is eight years younger.

I honestly think our continued obsession with experience over youth is a hindrance Do we not halve the oldest average age in teams more often than not?

9 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Jason Cummings has 6 goals in 6 games this season and is eight years younger.

I honestly think our continued obsession with experience over youth is a hindrance Do we not halve the oldest average age in teams more often than not?

I watched a lot of Cummings at Ibrox last season and he wasn’t great. He was surrounded by shite players in fairness. 

You don’t get many League one players playing international football so I would be very surprised if he got into the squad unless he manages to get back to Forrest and holds down a place there. I would much rather have had Rhodes in the squad that Cummings.

Just now, Texas Pete said:

I watched a lot of Cummings at Ibrox last season and he wasn’t great. He was surrounded by shite players in fairness. 

You don’t get many League one players playing international football so I would be very surprised if he got into the squad unless he manages to get back to Forrest and holds down a place there. I would much rather have had Rhodes in the squad that Cummings.

Northern Ireland and Wales squads are always padded out with them. And they are both better than us.

They also cap talented 17/18 year olds. Meanwhile we pick 36 year olds like Gordon Greer.