Scottish Players in Action 18/19 - Page 20 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in Action 18/19

PASTA Mick

6 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Hardly any first team choices play in this cup, even Fleetwood made 11 changes!!

Would be interesting to know what position he played though.

Yeah I know that but Fraser is arguably Bournemouth’s best player and I don’t think they have anyone else like him in their squad. Not at the moment anyway as Marc Pugh is out injured.

Fraser specifically asked to play apparently and Howe was happy to let him. I think he played in his usual position. 

20 hours ago, SWMM82 said:

Elliott Watt starting for Wolves tonight as well. Very highly thought of from what I’ve heard.

From The Express and Star - encouraging debut, wonder how many more opportunities he'll get though this year

Elliot Watt

A wonderful opportunity for the 18-year-old Scot – and certainly not one he'd have been anticipating just a few weeks ago. He took it with both hands, producing a very sensible performance in central midfield. Wednesday had a shedload of experience in their side with players like David Jones (396 career appearances), George Boyd (627) and Fernando Forestieri (241) but Watt (1) more than held his own. Constantly came deep to pick up the ball from the back three and recycled possession quickly. Put in a great tackle on Steven Fletcher to end a counter attack too. Looks to have a great temperament and a wise head on young shoulders. 7/10

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

He’s missed Celtic’s last couple of games and has pulled out of the Scotland squad. 

Not sure what the injury is or how bad it is though. 

Danny Fox is playing centre half for Nottingham forest nowadays

Just saying

57 minutes ago, Bino's said:

Danny Fox is playing centre half for Nottingham forest nowadays

Just saying

I thought he was a left back?

I think we’d need to have a proper injury crisis before he was called up to play in our central defence. 

Hanley would certainly get the nod before him. 

9 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I think we’d need to have a proper injury crisis before he was called up to play in our central defence. 

Jason Kerr for Saints who’s had U21 games would surely get a game before Fox. Not for a second am I suggesting Kerr is ready for the big team.

5 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Is he any worse than Hanley

8 hours ago, Bino's said:

Is he any worse than Hanley

Don’t think I’ve ever seen Fox play at CB so I don’t know. 

Personally I’d rather have an actual Scotsman though so if Hanley and Fox are of the same standard I would choose the guy born in Scotland and who hadn’t played for England U21s. 

14 hours ago, Ormond said:

Jason Kerr for Saints who’s had U21 games would surely get a game before Fox. Not for a second am I suggesting Kerr is ready for the big team.

There’s a few Scottish CBs playing in Scottish Premier that we could call on in an emergency.

1 hour ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Armstrong not even on bench today. Is he injured? But of a worry as he's not played much recently.

It’s a strange one. 

He came off injured against Burnley a couple of weeks back but he started in the diddy cup on Wednesday so I assumed he was back to full fitness. 

If he’s picked up another knock (he was subbed midweek) then they seem to be keeping quiet about it. 

whoscored.com had above average performances for Robertson, Phillip(right mid) and McBurnie.

Fraser played on the right and was well below average, starting to think playing him on the right just because he has played there is a mistake.

Regarding Armstrong I thought when he went to Southampton he would get found out as an average player, mind you I thought the same about Mcginn so what do I know.

47 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

whoscored.com had above average performances for Robertson, Phillip(right mid) and McBurnie.

Fraser played on the right and was well below average, starting to think playing him on the right just because he has played there is a mistake.

Regarding Armstrong I thought when he went to Southampton he would get found out as an average player, mind you I thought the same about Mcginn so what do I know.

surely it’s clear from his performances for Scotland that Armstrong is one of our best? 

13 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

surely it’s clear from his performances for Scotland that Armstrong is one of our best? 

He has played well for Scotland and Celtic, but wasn't great against England or in the champions league games for Celtic'  so I don't think the he is good enough to play teams of a high level week in week out. I hope I am wrong but I think his chances at Southampton will be limited.

I doubt if there are many countries in the world that could  put together a premiership quality team(we couldn't) so despite looking good for Scotland or Celtic he has very rarely  played against international opposition or club opposition of a high enough standard for us to say he is premiership quality. To be blunt I think that based on what he has done at 26 Southampton have made a mistake, but at 7 million all you get is a squad player.

Just my opinion and I hope I am wrong, but if you are right and he is one of our best I just don't think our best is very good.

Good chance to find out if our mid 20's Celtic players are really any good.