Scottish Players in Action 18/19 - Page 13 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in Action 18/19

PASTA Mick

6 hours ago, bazmidd said:

Jack Hendry has become the new whipping boy already I see. He has potential, but desperately needs an experienced Centre Back in there to help him and learn from, much like Souttar with Berra, who has massively improved his game since Berra arrived. Hendry played very well on his Scotland debut he has pace, height, strengths, good on the ball but needs to be more aggressive needs to improve his concentration and positional play, all things that can be taught or come with experience.

Totally agree! Hendry was playing for Dundee, then suddenly launched into a champions league campaign, on the wrong side of central defence and with another young defender and then a very poor defender.

Souttar was very suspect at hearts when he first arrived, but playing with Berra has become one of the best defenders in the league. 

Hendry needs an experienced player beside him, and also to play on the right side of defence. 

He could still be a good scotland defender 

22 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Hendry isn't good enough. Hanley is far superior. As are McKenna, Souttar and Wilson.

As a Celtic supporter were would Tierney fit into that list as a central defender in a back four not this back three infatuation that is floating about on here.  Could he play on left of midfield in front of Robertson maybe?

42 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

As a Celtic supporter were would Tierney fit into that list as a central defender in a back four not this back three infatuation that is floating about on here.  Could he play on left of midfield in front of Robertson maybe?

I've always wondered why that suggestion's not made more regularly.  I'm not saying they should do it, but why isn't it discussed?  I don't think it's so ridiculous.

Also, I've always wanted to know why it's Tierney who has to adapt.  Now that Robertson's a Champions League finalist some would say that he's the better left back and so he has the right to start there but firstly it's not certain who is better and secondly up until fairly recently Tierney was considered the better of the two.  I remember Carragher suggesting Liverpool play Robertson at centre back last year.

Finally, those that get annoyed with playing players out of their position are they saying one of them should be on the bench?

Personally I'd go with the back three as it resolves two issues at once.  Tierney and Roberston can play together and it sort of helps address our shortage of right backs by playing a wing back.  It's in no way ideal though.

I have been a big advocate of putting Tierney on the left of a back 3, but he got switched to that position in Athens the other night when Celtic went chasing the game and didn't look to comfortable at all, positionally got caught out a few times. He did still manage to burst forward though and set up their goal but again does this just highlight where he does his best work. It's a conundrum, a good one, but still a difficult one

21 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

So you didn't even watch it?

Forrest was one of the few players that got pass marks. 

There are no pictures on Radio Scotland so just going by Liam McLeod's commentary; I'm assuming he is a Celtic fan so cannot see why he would be biased. Didn't hear the word 'Forrest' in conjunction with anything positive.

11 hours ago, SkyBlueScot said:

I've always wondered why that suggestion's not made more regularly.  I'm not saying they should do it, but why isn't it discussed?  I don't think it's so ridiculous.

Also, I've always wanted to know why it's Tierney who has to adapt.  Now that Robertson's a Champions League finalist some would say that he's the better left back and so he has the right to start there but firstly it's not certain who is better and secondly up until fairly recently Tierney was considered the better of the two.  I remember Carragher suggesting Liverpool play Robertson at centre back last year.

Finally, those that get annoyed with playing players out of their position are they saying one of them should be on the bench?

Personally I'd go with the back three as it resolves two issues at once.  Tierney and Roberston can play together and it sort of helps address our shortage of right backs by playing a wing back.  It's in no way ideal though.

The other thing with 3-5-2 is that it allows us to have a support striker (like Russell or Burke or Griffiths) alongside McBurnie who may well appreciate some support. Width from the wing backs; downside is no place for any of our promising wingers.

11 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Fulton, McBurnie and McKay all starting and looking decent for Swansea so far against Birmingham.

Fulton we don’t mention much but he’s impressed me the most so far out of the three.

Swansea have been terrible, not even a shot on goal whereas Birmingham have had 13. You must be watching a different game to me.

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

Fulton, McBurnie and McKay all starting and looking decent for Swansea so far against Birmingham.

Fulton we don’t mention much but he’s impressed me the most so far out of the three.

Did you watch the match? It was brutal. Swansea were worse than brutal. 

51 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Did you watch the match? It was brutal. Swansea were worse than brutal. 

I did. I wrote that comment 18 minutes into the game. 

Incant recall anything happening for the final 72 minutes 😂

The standard in the championship is below top half SPL, I don’t care what anyone says... 

11 hours ago, ProudScot said:

I did. I wrote that comment 18 minutes into the game. 

Incant recall anything happening for the final 72 minutes 😂

The standard in the championship is below top half SPL, I don’t care what anyone says... 

The match yesterday certainly wasn't a good advert for the division. The standard is nowhere near as good as the English like to believe. 

I remember only Faddy and D.Fletcher were appearing in the EPL. {Faddy only ocasionally) 

We now have 

Fraser, Mc Tominely, Armstromg, Cairney,. Snodgrass, Paterson, Robertson all playing 

Things are looking up.