Scottish Players in Action 18/19 - Page 11 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in Action 18/19

PASTA Mick

Lots of Scottish interest at Peterborough. Beat Rochdale 4-1 and started, Jason Naismith, Mark O’Hara, Jason Cummings and Siriki Dembele. O’Hara got 2, Cummings 1 and 2 assists from Dembele. 

Dembele was MOTM too according to some on twitter. Turns 22 next month, shame he hasn’t had under 21 caps.

Was born in Ivory Coast so maybe wants to represent them, but he must be a guy the SFA are keeing an eye on. Potentially could help his younger brother to choose us too. Getting way ahead of myself. 

4 hours ago, borojock said:

Love your passion - i didnt say his carear was on a downward spiral what i said was i expect he will remain in the squad this season and then move down the league where i think he will level out to his skill level. If that does happen he will still have a very impressive career

Personally from the little i have seen of him and read on the Man Utd forums i dont rate him that highly hes a good player not a great player and i think too many see that he's playing a small part at a big club must make him some sort of great player. I also think theres an aspect of Mourinho being pig headed against the criticism he has faced from the press last season that he doesn't give youth a chance and tried to prove them wrong by playing and hying some of the younger players up which McTominay would fall into that category   

I personally expect that he will remain a squad player picking up some 10 mins here and there. The reality is he is at one of the top clubs in the world where they are always going to go out and buy the top players and he has an extremely hard job on his hands to break into that team. At the moment hes up against some top class players for a role in the midfield 3 position. I personally think hes behind Matic, Pogba, Fred, Herrera and Pereira and at the same level as Fellaini and when all are fit he wont get in the match day squad   

Im also sorry im not one of these happy clappy fans that sees our constant failings as something to be celebrated but rather i have an opinion of my own based on what i see and read and the fact it may be different from yours doesn't necessarily equate to it being negative drivel. I would like to think everything i have said on here is based on my own opinion which is based on watching, reading or thinking about the subject matter. And isnt that what forums like these are about where we can engage and debate about different views.

So McTominay is in your view on the same level as Fellaini, a starter for a team in the World Cup semi finals. But you doubt him for Scotland? I do respect your opinion, I am just not entirely sure what it is as it changes every post. I don't know if McTominay will be a great player, but if he is currently the standard of Fellaini he will be first name on our team sheet.

I see it this way with McTominay.

He plays at Manchester United and is a young Scot so Scotland fans will expect a heck of a lot from him. However, his style is not what Scotland fans see as anything special because I would say he is a no frills player. He is not the type of midfielder to split a defence open with a searching pass or take on and beat players and get a rasping shot away. He is more a holding midfielder and that is his strength but it is not what Scotland fans are craving at present.

Just my opinion for what it is worth.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I see it this way with McTominay.

He plays at Manchester United and is a young Scot so Scotland fans will expect a heck of a lot from him. However, his style is not what Scotland fans see as anything special because I would say he is a no frills player. He is not the type of midfielder to split a defence open with a searching pass or take on and beat players and get a rasping shot away. He is more a holding midfielder and that is his strength but it is not what Scotland fans are craving at present.

Just my opinion for what it is worth.

Surely any Scotland fan with any real interest and knowledge in our players should  know what his position is and what role he plays in the Man Utd team is. It is exactly as you describe and exactly the type of player Darren Fletcher was. Darren Fletcher turned into one of the best ball winning midfielders in Europe for Man Utd before his illness struck and if McTominay can reach those standards we should all be delighted. He is not gona beat 4 men and stick it in the top corner, but if he turns out to be one of the best in his position, as Andy Robertson is in his, it would be fantastic for us.

1 minute ago, bazmidd said:

Surely any Scotland fan with any real interest and knowledge in our players should  know what his position is and what role he plays in the Man Utd team is. It is exactly as you describe and exactly the type of player Darren Fletcher was. Darren Fletcher turned into one of the best ball winning midfielders in Europe for Man Utd before his illness struck and if McTominay can reach those standards we should all be delighted. He is not gona beat 4 men and stick it in the top corner, but if he turns out to be one of the best in his position, as Andy Robertson is in his, it would be fantastic for us.

True but for many that doesn't cut any ice. At the moment many Scotland fans are desperate utterly desperate for the return to the days of qualifying and producing players with great ball skills and attacking midfielders playing at the top clubs. McTominay ticks one of those boxes in the club he plays for and it is not his fault he has talent in areas that Scotland would sooner that he had talent in other areas - if you see what I mean.

40 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

I am hopeful that he can do well at united but he isn't a player that I think will make it at united long term. He does do the basics well and breaks up play well but I feel we have that type of players already and he isn't necessarily better than them. If he can get game time this season and make a good impact at united then he's definitely going to be in the squad and at the age of 21 he should hopefully develop in the next few years into a EPL midfielder wether that's with united I don't know but if it's not then he will defo be at squad player imo.

8 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Paul Lambert barely passed the ball further than 10 yards for Dortmund and has a Champions League medal.

To be fair when he did make that 10 yard pass , it was usually to Paulo Sousa. 

McTominay really can't win with some people can he. Most are just desperate to see him fail so they can say I told you so, and even if he does become one of the best in the world at what he does, it's not good enough because Scotland fans want him to be something else. Incredible really. We all want a Gareth Bale in our team but good players in other positions should be appreciated just as much, it is a team sport after all.

5 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

McTominay really can't win with some people can he. Most are just desperate to see him fail so they can say I told you so, and even if he does become one of the best in the world at what he does, it's not good enough because Scotland fans want him to be something else. Incredible really. We all want a Gareth Bale in our team but good players in other positions should be appreciated just as much, it is a team sport after all.

Most ppl are just cautious with building him up to be something special because he's at man utd. He looks decent from the games I have watched, which is quite a few. He obviously is not a hazard or a de bruyne but he is a player who does the basics well. Wether that's down to just being told to the basics or if he is only capable of that we will find out this season I think. It's hard to gauge wether he will make it at man utd because they have such high expectations and such a massive budget that they can buy the best midfielders out there. He will however make it in EPL imo, which will mean he will defo be in our future squads and can be an important player for us. Either way it's a good thing that he chose us.

On 8/10/2018 at 7:24 AM, bazmidd said:

Exactly my thinking mate, and even worse I see young McCrorie has been bombed out of the starting line up for the start of the season. One of few Rangers players to shine last season and out the starting line up already this season for a bunch of foreigners.

Mccrorie is shit. I don’t understand the hype around him. He’s not a player that’ll make it.

On 8/12/2018 at 10:15 AM, PASTA Mick said:

Don't we have less this season than last season?

Armstrong, Bryon, McDonald and Cairney have come in but Phillips, Burke, Morrison, Fletcher, Adam, McBurnie and Fulton were all relegated. 

But Fraser is better on the left. A few people on here have him down as a right-wing back. :lol:

Only Matt Phillips from that list was a regular starter.

Just watched the extended highlights of Villa vs Wigan.. and credit where it's due.. McGinn looked man of the match to me.

Lots of energy, closing people down.. but mostly his deliveries were superb. Got the assist for the first goal, but then put in 2-3 more balls which really should have been tucked away with essentially free headers. Had a decent crack himself from 25 yards.

Hope he can keep that level up. Pretty sure the Villa fans are already in love which him tho.