Scottish Players in Action 18/19 - Page 10 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in Action 18/19

PASTA Mick

35 minutes ago, borojock said:

i wonder if McLeish will be looking at Joe Bryan, Jamie Paterson also another one who i believe see's himself as Scottish. Playing upfront in the Championship and scored today i believe 

Bryan could replace Douglas who's dropped down to the championship - no. 3 left back after Robertson and Tierney. 

3 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Bryan could replace Douglas who's dropped down to the championship - no. 3 left back after Robertson and Tierney. 

Crazy the lefts backs that we have at disposal Robertson, Tierney, Douglas, Bryan and then on the right hand side of the pitch no one close to either of those 4 

5 hours ago, Clyde1998 said:

WhoScored ratings for English Premier League/Championship players today:

English Premier League:

• Matt Ritchie (Newcastle) - 69 mins - 7.16
  • James McArthur (Crystal Palace) - 90 mins - 7.03
  • Kevin McDonald (Fulham) - 90 mins - 6.56
  • Callum Paterson (Cardiff) - 62 mins - 6.56
  • Tom Cairney (Fulham) - 90 mins - 6.49
  • Scott McTominay (Man Utd) - 14 mins - 6.04

English Championship:

• Jay Fulton (Swansea) - 90 mins - 8.28
  • John McGinn (Aston Villa) - 90 mins - 8.10
  • Daniel Fox (Nottm Forest) - 90 mins - 7.96
  • Jordan Archer (Millwall) - 90 mins - 7.82
  • Charlie Mulgrew (Blackburn) - 90 mins - 7.52
  • Barrie McKay (Swansea) - 75 mins - 7.00
  • Grant Hanley (Norwich) - 90 mins - 6.99
  • Barry Bannan (Sheff Wed) - 90 mins - 6.99
  • Kenny McLean (Norwich) - 75 mins - 6.97
  • Jordan Rhodes (Norwich) - 90 mins - 6.93
  • David Marshall (Hull) - 90 mins - 6.88
  • Darren Fletcher (Stoke) - 77 mins - 6.85
  • Matt Phillips (West Brom) - 90 mins - 6.81
  • Steven Fletcher (Sheff Wed) - 73 mins - 6.78
  • John Fleck (Sheff Utd) - 90 mins - 6.75
  • Lewis MacLeod (Brentford) - 67 mins - 6.75
  • Stephen Kingsley (Hull) - 90 mins - 6.57
  • Oliver McBurnie (Swansea) - 90 mins - 6.41
  • Alan Hutton (Aston Villa) - 90 mins - 6.35
  • Marc McNulty (Reading) - 31 mins - 6.67
  • Paul Gallagher (Preston) - 10 mins - 6.18

You missed out Ryan Fraser who got a 7.96 which could be the highest Scottish player Premiership score for the season

Thanks for posting

6 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

4-3-3

McGregor, Armstrong and Cairney in the middle. Fraser, Griffiths and Forrest as a 3 with Fraser and Forrest playing wide and dropping to midfield when we don't have the ball. 

No problem with any of those personnel, but as a group there is no notable physicality and they are all quite small. Would prefer a mcginn* or mctominay in over cairney just for a bit more dig

*I realise he's not a giant but he gets stuck in like a dervish

15 hours ago, Clyde1998 said:

WhoScored ratings for English Premier League/Championship players today:

English Premier League:

• Matt Ritchie (Newcastle) - 69 mins - 7.16
  • James McArthur (Crystal Palace) - 90 mins - 7.03
  • Kevin McDonald (Fulham) - 90 mins - 6.56
  • Callum Paterson (Cardiff) - 62 mins - 6.56
  • Tom Cairney (Fulham) - 90 mins - 6.49
  • Scott McTominay (Man Utd) - 14 mins - 6.04

Bryan and Fraser missing from your list.

Looking forward to seeing how Armstrong gets on today.

Rhodes and McBurnie both missed penalties yesterday. 

You realise we could play 6 EPL players now? Been a long time since we could say that, viz.

Robertson; Armstrong, McDonald, Cairney; then Ritchie and Fraser. Front 3 of Ritchie, Griffiths and Fraser going by the fact Fraser seemed to play on the left yesterday. The other 5 probably pick themselves. 

Edited by Third Lanark

20 hours ago, borojock said:

I will rip my own face off and eat it if McTominay becomes a regular starter over Matic 

Whats to say Matic and Herrera are now down the pecking order? Whats to say is that they are both blatantly better players then McTominay - i really hope McTominay does become a regular starter for Man Utd and Scotland, i would love that i really would. However i think your mistaking my reality on the situation for negativity as you said above. The lad isnt that great and if you go onto the Man Utd forums you would find a lot of fans who have watched him probably more than you or I have the same thoughts on him. If i was a betting man i would expect him to be a squad player for the next season and then disappear down the league a bit like Gibson and Cleverly - and thats me being realistic rather than negative   

You will rip your own face off and eat it if McTominay becomes a starter over Matic. Well that now gives us all two reasons to really hope he does. If only to stop the negative drivel being spouted constantly by you. Again you are confusing reality with foresight. You foresee McTominay becoming a bit part player and moving down the leagues. Your opinion, not the reality of the situation. In reality you, me and know one else has a scooby doo how his career will turn out, but in reality he has broken into the Man Utd first team squad last season and is now a regular in their match day squads, whilst regularly getting minutes from a manager, one of the greatest there has ever been, who rates him. No one knows what the future holds for him but to put him down and say his career is now a downward spiral just as it is beginning in 'reality' is nothing but a negative opinion. Not reality.

20 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

You realise we could play 6 EPL players now? Been a long time since we could say that, viz.

Robertson; Armstrong, McDonald, Cairney; then Ritchie and Fraser. Front 3 of Ritchie, Griffiths and Fraser going by the fact Fraser seemed to play on the left yesterday. The other 5 probably pick themselves. 

Don't we have less this season than last season?

Armstrong, Bryon, McDonald and Cairney have come in but Phillips, Burke, Morrison, Fletcher, Adam, McBurnie and Fulton were all relegated. 

But Fraser is better on the left. A few people on here have him down as a right-wing back. :lol:

19 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Don't we have less this season than last season?

Armstrong, Bryon, McDonald and Cairney have come in but Phillips, Burke, Morrison, Fletcher, Adam, McBurnie and Fulton were all relegated. 

But Fraser is better on the left. A few people on here have him down as a right-wing back. :lol:

I would say that the ones we have now are all ones for the future - even Ritchie - whereas Adam, Fletcher and Morrison all have their best days behind them; so now we have a nucleus from which we can kick on.

21 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

Brilliant cross from Matt Ritchie against Spurs, get this guy wearing a Newcastle jersey at international level if needs be.

Matt Richie is gash

17 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

4-3-3

McGregor, Armstrong and Cairney in the middle. Fraser, Griffiths and Forrest as a 3 with Fraser and Forrest playing wide and dropping to midfield when we don't have the ball. 

James forrest is gash

3 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Rhodes and McBurnie both missed penalties yesterday. 

i hope mcburnie never hits one for scotland (senior team), terrible record with them, must have missed more than hes scored. 3 misses that i can think of, barnsley, scotland, swansea. cant actually recall him scoring one!

edit, scored 1 in the EFL trophy for swansea

Edited by LewisEDI

1 hour ago, bazmidd said:

You will rip your own face off and eat it if McTominay becomes a starter over Matic. Well that now gives us all two reasons to really hope he does. If only to stop the negative drivel being spouted constantly by you. Again you are confusing reality with foresight. You foresee McTominay becoming a bit part player and moving down the leagues. Your opinion, not the reality of the situation. In reality you, me and know one else has a scooby doo how his career will turn out, but in reality he has broken into the Man Utd first team squad last season and is now a regular in their match day squads, whilst regularly getting minutes from a manager, one of the greatest there has ever been, who rates him. No one knows what the future holds for him but to put him down and say his career is now a downward spiral just as it is beginning in 'reality' is nothing but a negative opinion. Not reality.

Love your passion - i didnt say his carear was on a downward spiral what i said was i expect he will remain in the squad this season and then move down the league where i think he will level out to his skill level. If that does happen he will still have a very impressive career

Personally from the little i have seen of him and read on the Man Utd forums i dont rate him that highly hes a good player not a great player and i think too many see that he's playing a small part at a big club must make him some sort of great player. I also think theres an aspect of Mourinho being pig headed against the criticism he has faced from the press last season that he doesn't give youth a chance and tried to prove them wrong by playing and hying some of the younger players up which McTominay would fall into that category   

I personally expect that he will remain a squad player picking up some 10 mins here and there. The reality is he is at one of the top clubs in the world where they are always going to go out and buy the top players and he has an extremely hard job on his hands to break into that team. At the moment hes up against some top class players for a role in the midfield 3 position. I personally think hes behind Matic, Pogba, Fred, Herrera and Pereira and at the same level as Fellaini and when all are fit he wont get in the match day squad   

Im also sorry im not one of these happy clappy fans that sees our constant failings as something to be celebrated but rather i have an opinion of my own based on what i see and read and the fact it may be different from yours doesn't necessarily equate to it being negative drivel. I would like to think everything i have said on here is based on my own opinion which is based on watching, reading or thinking about the subject matter. And isnt that what forums like these are about where we can engage and debate about different views.

2 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

people on here have him down as a right-wing back. :lol:

I was curious to see if he continued to start at right back as that was were he played the final two games last season. 

Last  season he played in about every position on the pitch left and right and had the strangest stats on who scored. he seemed equally good everywhere but not brilliant anywhere.

Probably why I am so fascinated with what happens next, good start to season any way lets see were he plays next week.

1 hour ago, borojock said:

Love your passion - i didnt say his carear was on a downward spiral what i said was i expect he will remain in the squad this season and then move down the league where i think he will level out to his skill level. If that does happen he will still have a very impressive career

Personally from the little i have seen of him and read on the Man Utd forums i dont rate him that highly hes a good player not a great player and i think too many see that he's playing a small part at a big club must make him some sort of great player. I also think theres an aspect of Mourinho being pig headed against the criticism he has faced from the press last season that he doesn't give youth a chance and tried to prove them wrong by playing and hying some of the younger players up which McTominay would fall into that category   

I personally expect that he will remain a squad player picking up some 10 mins here and there. The reality is he is at one of the top clubs in the world where they are always going to go out and buy the top players and he has an extremely hard job on his hands to break into that team. At the moment hes up against some top class players for a role in the midfield 3 position. I personally think hes behind Matic, Pogba, Fred, Herrera and Pereira and at the same level as Fellaini and when all are fit he wont get in the match day squad   

Im also sorry im not one of these happy clappy fans that sees our constant failings as something to be celebrated but rather i have an opinion of my own based on what i see and read and the fact it may be different from yours doesn't necessarily equate to it being negative drivel. I would like to think everything i have said on here is based on my own opinion which is based on watching, reading or thinking about the subject matter. And isnt that what forums like these are about where we can engage and debate about different views.

McTominay got to age 19/20 at Man Utd being the skilful wee guy.... them went from 5ft 7in to 6ft 4 in in 18 months. 

19 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

McTominay got to age 19/20 at Man Utd being the skilful wee guy.... them went from 5ft 7in to 6ft 4 in in 18 months. 

I read that when he was younger he was a more attacking player.

The problem i have with him is i dont know what he is or does. Ive watched 5 of his games on YT where it shows you all his action in the game and he really isnt very creative in any of them, he doesnt run with the ball forward and i dont see him having the presence and positioning to be a top defensive mid. In all the games he keeps it very simple and passes the ball sideways or back and keeps it moving. To be a top player at a top club like Utd thats not enough you need to be able to screen the defense or create something for the players upfront and sadly i just cant see it

As ive said below i really hope im proved wrong on this as i would lobe him to be a top player for Utd and Scotland  

1 minute ago, borojock said:

I read that when he was younger he was a more attacking player.

The problem i have with him is i dont know what he is or does. Ive watched 5 of his games on YT where it shows you all his action in the game and he really isnt very creative in any of them, he doesnt run with the ball forward and i dont see him having the presence and positioning to be a top defensive mid. In all the games he keeps it very simple and passes the ball sideways or back and keeps it moving. To be a top player at a top club like Utd thats not enough you need to be able to screen the defense or create something for the players upfront and sadly i just cant see it

As ive said below i really hope im proved wrong on this as i would lobe him to be a top player for Utd and Scotland  

Paul Lambert barely passed the ball further than 10 yards for Dortmund and has a Champions League medal.