Scottish Players in Action 18/19 - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in Action 18/19

PASTA Mick

2 hours ago, bazmidd said:

John Fleck getting rave reviews for his performance for Sheffield United in their pre season match v Inter Milan. Should have definitely been involved in our last two friendlies after the season he had last year tbh

Maybe he was asked and said no? maybe Lyndsey was too, pretty sure Ritchie would have been. Only thing any one will remember about those friendlies in a couple of years time was Archers mistakes.

Wish we could work out Forrest, seems to be one of Celtics best European performers but hasn't done it for Scotland. Don't think it's his attitude, so is a positional problem, a formation problem or is he just a player who has difficulty adapting to a new set of team mates.

Just checked and the only time Celtic played 3 at the back in the group stages last year was when they let in seven against PSG'

Any one else spotting a trend with regards to three at the back for Scotland.  

7 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Wish we could work out Forrest, seems to be one of Celtics best European performers but hasn't done it for Scotland. Don't think it's his attitude, so is a positional problem, a formation problem or is he just a player who has difficulty adapting to a new set of team mates.

Just checked and the only time Celtic played 3 at the back in the group stages last year was when they let in seven against PSG'

Any one else spotting a trend with regards to three at the back for Scotland.  

Celtic fans seem to be really touchy on this subject whenever its mentioned on social media, as it has annoyed me a lot over the years that he can have a brilliant performance for Celtic in Europe one week against the likes of Ajax, while the following week he could go 70 minutes for Scotland against Estonia, and you would only notice he was on the park when he is getting subbed!

I put it down to formation and game plan more than anything else (Celtic he has a degree of freedom and not expected to track back as much, while with Scotland he does not get that luxury).... problem is, 25 odd caps now, its going to take a REALLY stand out performance to change a lot of peoples opnion on him when it comes to Scotland (Lithuania in Vilnius last year probably his only real performance for Scotland)

6 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Celtic fans seem to be really touchy on this subject whenever its mentioned on social media, as it has annoyed me a lot over the years that he can have a brilliant performance for Celtic in Europe one week against the likes of Ajax, while the following week he could go 70 minutes for Scotland against Estonia, and you would only notice he was on the park when he is getting subbed!

I put it down to formation and game plan more than anything else (Celtic he has a degree of freedom and not expected to track back as much, while with Scotland he does not get that luxury).... problem is, 25 odd caps now, its going to take a REALLY stand out performance to change a lot of peoples opnion on him when it comes to Scotland (Lithuania in Vilnius last year probably his only real performance for Scotland)

The only opinion of importance is that of the manager. Forrest, as a minimum, occupies the opposition. I think we’re better with him in the team, although i get that he can run the ball out of play or fluff a cross. It’s not the case that he gets some kind of free ticket when he plays for Celtic. They can hardly be faulted for work rate.

3 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

The only opinion of importance is that of the manager. Forrest, as a minimum, occupies the opposition. I think we’re better with him in the team, although i get that he can run the ball out of play or fluff a cross. It’s not the case that he gets some kind of free ticket when he plays for Celtic. They can hardly be faulted for work rate.

Agree, he has shown at club level that he is a really good player, problem is, put a dark blue shirt on him and that form just goes out the window (as said, I do not put that down to the player, more the Scotland set up and match plan for games, which will be set out different than what Rodgers sets Celtic out to do) but he's far from the first (or the last...) players that this applies to for Scotland.

Really thought Strachan would have brought the best out of him for Scotland, but did not happen, while I hope that Eck can some how find a way for getting the best out of him.

Forrest has been playing brilliant at right wing back on many occasions for Celtic and more  importantly in Champions League games so what makes people think Scotland can't play 3 at the back with James Forrest as a right wing back

1 hour ago, bazmidd said:

Forrest or Fraser as Right Wing Back options and Robertson and Douglas Left Wing Back options with Tierney left sided Centre Half. McKenna Central of the three and Hendry right sided Centre half. Sorted for the next 10 years!

Take them ten years to learn how to play in those positions and in that formation, unless all their clubs are willing to prepare them for us.

Don't think many are saying we can't play three at the back, just me rather a lot.

13 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Take them ten years to learn how to play in those positions and in that formation, unless all their clubs are willing to prepare them for us.

Don't think many are saying we can't play three at the back, just me rather a lot.

Do you even watch football mate. Every single one of the players I have mentioned has played for their clubs and for Scotland in the positions I've quoted. It will take them 10 years to learn a new system and position. Teams change formation and systems all the time it is a part of football. What an idiotic comment

18 hours ago, Rab The Crab said:

I’m interested to see how Mikey Devlin does at Aberdeen. He was highly rated at Accies before his injury.

Intetesting to see him alongside McKenna tonight, might transfer to international stage if they click.

I thought Aberdeens defence was good apart from that one mix up that led to the goal. I think McKenna has done himself no harm with his performance. I was also surprised at how many games Devlin has played in his career. Guys only 24 so he is still relatively young and Aberdeen could be a good place to showcase his ability.

44 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I thought Aberdeens defence was good apart from that one mix up that led to the goal. I think McKenna has done himself no harm with his performance. I was also surprised at how many games Devlin has played in his career. Guys only 24 so he is still relatively young and Aberdeen could be a good place to showcase his ability.

170 games isn't that much for somebody turning 25 in a couple of months?

Edited by Squirrelhumper

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

170 games isn't that much for somebody turning 25 in a couple of months?

It equates til about 4/5 seasons of football, for a 24 year old centre back that's a decent amount of experience, pretty much means he was starting games aged 19 and means he's played plenty of spl football. 

5 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Was McKenna not at the heart of the mix up that led to the, crucial, goal

Hendry similar in Celtic game

Not a great week unfortunately for our burgeoning centre half pairing

12 hours ago, bazmidd said:

Do you even watch football mate. Every single one of the players I have mentioned has played for their clubs and for Scotland in the positions I've quoted. It will take them 10 years to learn a new system and position. Teams change formation and systems all the time it is a part of football. What an idiotic comment

Sorry if it looks like I am having a go at everything you say but resorting to "do you even watch football" when you disagree is pretty weak.

I think Robertson has to play left back as one of our best players.He played 22 times for Liverpool last season, 21 at left back and 1 as a wing back. I also think that wing back and left back are no were near the same position. At left back you have much more space to move into and a far better areas to pass the ball, passing is one of the strongest parts of Robertson's game' so as our best player he has to play there. Douglas is a wing back but do you want him in the team instead of Robertson to play a back 3.

Your back three allows us to play Tierney  which I think we all agree is a problem but to play him and Hendry  out of position in a system they don't play is a bigger problem. I cant comment on Mckenna or how often Aberdeen play a back three.

Fraser and Forrest can both play as wing backs but it is not Forrest's  normal position or again Celtic's normal formation. Fraser played his last two games last season as a right back and it will be very interesting if he continues there.

The other Celtic players and Armstrong  would also be playing a formation they are not used to.

I know teams change formations but at international level with so few games I think we have to find a formation quickly and stick to it I just don't see three at the back being it as I have hopefully explained. 

Tierney is a big problem and I think out of all our options, is playing him out of position at right back central defence or left midfield  better than the options that we have available

You are of course welcome to disagree, just don't use the fact that they have played in positions for Scotland as an argument for them playing there!

2 hours ago, Bino's said:

Was McKenna not at the heart of the mix up that led to the, crucial, goal

Hendry similar in Celtic game

Not a great week unfortunately for our burgeoning centre half pairing

He along with a couple of others were to blame for the mix up. Tbf though he had a good game apart from that moment and when you consider Burnley finished 7th and were heavy favourites to win then he had a reasonable game against a calibre of opposition that he doesn't play against regularly (Celtic aside).

2 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Sorry if it looks like I am having a go at everything you say but resorting to "do you even watch football" when you disagree is pretty weak.

I think Robertson has to play left back as one of our best players.He played 22 times for Liverpool last season, 21 at left back and 1 as a wing back. I also think that wing back and left back are no were near the same position. At left back you have much more space to move into and a far better areas to pass the ball, passing is one of the strongest parts of Robertson's game' so as our best player he has to play there. Douglas is a wing back but do you want him in the team instead of Robertson to play a back 3.

Your back three allows us to play Tierney  which I think we all agree is a problem but to play him and Hendry  out of position in a system they don't play is a bigger problem. I cant comment on Mckenna or how often Aberdeen play a back three.

Fraser and Forrest can both play as wing backs but it is not Forrest's  normal position or again Celtic's normal formation. Fraser played his last two games last season as a right back and it will be very interesting if he continues there.

The other Celtic players and Armstrong  would also be playing a formation they are not used to.

I know teams change formations but at international level with so few games I think we have to find a formation quickly and stick to it I just don't see three at the back being it as I have hopefully explained. 

Tierney is a big problem and I think out of all our options, is playing him out of position at right back central defence or left midfield  better than the options that we have available

You are of course welcome to disagree, just don't use the fact that they have played in positions for Scotland as an argument for them playing there!

I think we have two options. We play Robertson as a wing back with Tierney in a centre back 3 which I think is a decent idea, Robertson is good at going forward and has great crossing and Tierney is a player imo who could easily adapt to cb. Or we play Tierney at RB which isnt a bad option either as he is pretty adaptable and has played there for Scotland before and did ok in the position. Either way it's a bummer that our two best players are left backs.

9 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

I think we have two options. We play Robertson as a wing back with Tierney in a centre back 3 which I think is a decent idea, Robertson is good at going forward and has great crossing and Tierney is a player imo who could easily adapt to cb. Or we play Tierney at RB which isnt a bad option either as he is pretty adaptable and has played there for Scotland before and did ok in the position. Either way it's a bummer that our two best players are left backs.

For me we lose a lot of what Tierney is good at (attacking and getting balls in the box) when playing him at right back as he too often has to cut back into the middle to get on his left 

Is there a risk that in trying to shoe horn Tierney in we reduce the ability of the rest of the players by playing a formation were not used to or best set up 

I'll be honest i dont know the answer and the above may be the best way forward but it will be interesting to see what McLeish will do in the Nations League which we need to win our group  

10 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

There is also the option of Tierney at left back in a back four and Robertson in left midfield. No one currently knows if it is a good option.

On 7/10/2018 at 6:02 PM, PASTA Mick said:

Gordon, Hendry, Tierney, McGregor, Brown and Forrest in action this afternoon in Armenia. Bain, Ralston, Christie, Morgan and Allan on the bench.

1-0 up at half-time. 

Imagine if Scotland had made the World Cup, Celtic wouldn't have a team for these games. 

I have a feeling we’d have been knocked out of the World Cup long before the 10th of July if we had qualified.