Scottish Players in Action 18/19 - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in Action 18/19

PASTA Mick

4 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

I had hopes for Oli Shaw but of Hibs 12 goals in the Faroes he only got one and failed to complete the second leg.

Isn’t he only 19 or something? I wouldn’t write him off just yet. 

Where are all these Olivers coming from? You’d have got bullied at school with a name like that in my day. 

Scored on his first match for Reading against Besiktas.  He scored 28 last season, I know at a lower level but if he has a good run in the Championship and continues that form then he is someone worth a closer look to see if he can step up for us. As I type, he is actually playing against Rubin Kazan. 

Edited by romanticscot

48 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

Scored on his first match for Reading against Besiktas.  He scored 28 last season, I know at a lower level but if he has a good run in the Championship and continues that form then he is someone worth a closer look to see if he can step up for us. As I type, he is actually playing against Rubin Kazan. 

He was brilliant last season. Gutted to see him leave Cov but he can do it at a higher level. I can imagine him getting goals in the Championship. Not the answer to our problems but then what is?

1 hour ago, romanticscot said:

Tell me more about him as a player, but also why he isn't suitable for us?

Sorry, not saying he isn't suitable. Just down-playing his potential a little. That said I do imagine him scoring 15+ goals (maybe many more) in the Championship which would start to put him on McLeish's radar. Who else do we have?

This over-long video shows you his goals from last season: 

you can see how incredibly cool he is in front of goal. I'm playing him down as it was all in league 2 but that instinct in front of goal translates anywhere. Would certainly get Scotland loads of penalties 😉

I hope he does it. I really do. Prolific in the Championship and then a call up. If he had the midfield to play him in he'd score.

8 hours ago, Dave78 said:

Some beautiful finishes.

What's his chances to goals ratio like? (On a scale of Kenny Miller to Gerd Mueller).

Playing for Coventry I would imagine it is closer to Gerd Mueller

On 7/21/2018 at 9:33 AM, SkyBlueScot said:

Sorry, not saying he isn't suitable. Just down-playing his potential a little. That said I do imagine him scoring 15+ goals (maybe many more) in the Championship which would start to put him on McLeish's radar. Who else do we have?

you can see how incredibly cool he is in front of goal. I'm playing him down as it was all in league 2 but that instinct in front of goal translates anywhere. Would certainly get Scotland loads of penalties 😉

I hope he does it. I really do. Prolific in the Championship and then a call up. If he had the midfield to play him in he'd score.

Got to disagree about the instinct in front of goal translates anywhere, dozens of strikers have been caught out when moved up a level.

Think that will be proven as the standard of defending is poor and the goalkeeping even more so in the video. In fact not sure you should leave the video up as it could cause permanent damage to any young aspiring keepers out there!

On 7/21/2018 at 4:33 AM, SkyBlueScot said:

I would give him a chance, seems like a willing runner and giving our options... i mean people were talking about kris boyd coming back into the set up.

Though if he does not score a hatrick against belgium or portugal hes oot

I disagree with your disagreement. The instinct will remain but the ability will have a limit. My mind says I want make space, exploit poor marking, see a flat footed keeper, take a shot etc but those opportunities will diminish with the intelligence and ability of opposition increasing. Here is where will see the  intelligence comes in to counter that. We shall how McNulty copes with a higher standard. Maybe what I said was all a crock 😁 but that's how I interpret it. A smart player will little tools, abilities and instinct can do well with what they have, then you have a strong instinctual player like McFadden who might just try something bonkers and score an awesome goal(s) etc. I would say players like Ronaldo and Messi's are gifted with game intelligence and great instinct. 

Oli Burke would be a player who strongly favors his instinctual side, perhaps more than McFadden but not have such technique, and I hope he is not reading this as he is not as strong with game intelligence. I recall a few ocassions where he made strong runs only to run out the by-line because he lacked awareness or had the intelligence to asses his surroundings on those ocassions and maybe a plus or a minus - likely to try again. I think you can teach the smartness or it comes with maturity but you can't teach the instinctual side. If I was forming our team I would want intelligent defending, with maybe 2 at the most heavility instinctual players but ones that would listen and let a strong leader influence them during a match and listen to coaching beforehand. Burke I think failed at RBL because there were no signs of qualming the instinct and improvisation, for him he may be a player we don't touch until he is 28, and that would depend if his reading of the game develops. Pace in itself is not a weapon. 

We should find out a lot more about Jack Hendry over these two ties

Kind of crucial he gets as much big game time as possible ahead of September

Hopefully he can play his way into regular centre half position for them, and therefore us

1 hour ago, Bino's said:

Hopefully he can play his way into regular centre half position for them, and therefore us

He’ll end up injured like the rest of Brendan’s squad.

9 hours ago, Bino's said:

Personally more interested to see how Scott McKenna does over the next two weeks. Massive test and if he copes we might actually have found a central defender 

35 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Personally more interested to see how Scott McKenna does over the next two weeks. Massive test and if he copes we might actually have found a central defender 

Can't you be interested in both or do you mean you have less faith in Hendry? Desperately need more than one coming through. Bates, Hendry and McKenna are all in that mix (along with Tierney) so I'm wishing them all well.

59 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Can't you be interested in both or do you mean you have less faith in Hendry? Desperately need more than one coming through. Bates, Hendry and McKenna are all in that mix (along with Tierney) so I'm wishing them all well.

Exactly. Hendry has every bit as much potential as McKenna. Both are a good size and quick. Hendry probably has a bit more ability on the ball, albeit McKenna has a good left foot.

3 hours ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Apologies that came across wrong. let's go for I am looking forward to seeing how Mcginess gets on against opposition better than he has played against in a competitive game

8 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Equally, these guys need games against good opposition to improve