Scottish Players in Action 18/19 - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in Action 18/19

PASTA Mick

On 7/14/2018 at 7:37 PM, jamboman said:

He needs to go out on loan to get game time, I think he does have a lot of talent but needs game which he wont get a celtic.

Ralston went to united last season not sure how he did but again another one who needs to go on loan

The latest story is Allan permanently and Mikey Johnstone on loan plus a cash sum for McGinn

57 minutes ago, todd said:

I see Jack Harper is in the Malaga first team squad and played against Nottingham Forest today.  I'd almost forgotten about him.  Still only 22 so where there's hope!

Unless he gets first team action this season then there won't be alot of hope. He's 22 and never played much senior football if any. Would of been good if a lower spl team took a chance on him as he may not get alot of first team opportunities for malaga.

9 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Unless he gets first team action this season then there won't be alot of hope. He's 22 and never played much senior football if any. Would of been good if a lower spl team took a chance on him as he may not get alot of first team opportunities for malaga.

This is a most Scottish reply. I refer you to the Croatia thread!

13 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Malaga got relegated last season, and by most accounts their Sugar Daddy owners have pretty much lost interest in the club, with hardly any summer signings made yet, so expect to see him in and around the first team next season (but mostly on the bench)

David Bates has been getting high praise so far this pre-season at Hamburg, granted first game was just a bounce game v a German 5th division side that Hamburg won 10-0 (and Bates scored), while they beat Rapid Vienna 2-1 at the weekend, with Bates again getting high praise.

5 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

This is a most Scottish reply. I refer you to the Croatia thread!

There's a fine line between being optimistic and being delusional. Jack Harper needs first team football now even it's at la Liga 2. Hopefully he gets some but let's not pretend he's definitely going to be a big star.

25 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

There's a fine line between being optimistic and being delusional. Jack Harper needs first team football now even it's at la Liga 2. Hopefully he gets some but let's not pretend he's definitely going to be a big star.

By no means did i say he will be. You just seemed depressed he made the first team. 

14 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

what's happened to Griffiths?

14 hours ago, bossman4 said:

Injured again I think.

Yeah he’s out for a couple of weeks with a thigh injury.

The good news is it’s not his calf again but the amount of injuries he picks up is worrying. 

If he doesn’t stay fit and break into the starting 11 at Celtic  it could be a real problem as far as Scotland is concerned. 

I was hoping he might get a move away from Celtic in the summer. Not that a move would help his injury problems but I can’t see him becoming a first choice striker at Celtic any time soon. 

3 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Yeah he’s out for a couple of weeks with a thigh injury.

The good news is it’s not his calf again but the amount of injuries he picks up is worrying. 

If he doesn’t stay fit and break into the starting 11 at Celtic  it could be a real problem as far as Scotland is concerned. 

I was hoping he might get a move away from Celtic in the summer. Not that a move would help his injury problems but I can’t see him becoming a first choice striker at Celtic any time soon. 

No Morgan in the squad last night.

14 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

No Morgan in the squad last night.

Yeah that is a strange one. Especially with Hayes being out injured. 

Unless Morgan picked up an injury as well? It’s not being widely reported if he has. 

Or maybe Rodgers has decided to let him go to Sunderland on loan and it hasn’t been announced yet?

3 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Yeah that is a strange one. Especially with Hayes being out injured. 

Unless Morgan picked up an injury as well? It’s not being widely reported if he has. 

Or maybe Rodgers has decided to let him go to Sunderland on loan and it hasn’t been announced yet?

Morgan was injured 

Jordan Rhodes scored in a pre-season friendly against VfL Wolfsburg, surely an on-form JR should be in our squad but the last 3 years have been difficult for him. 

Edited by romanticscot

41 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

Jordan Rhodes scored in a pre-season friendly against VfL Wolfsburg, surely an on-form JR should be in our squad but the last 3 years have been difficult for him. 

If Rhodes is playing first team football and is playing well he should always be in the squad in my opinion. 

He wouldn’t be my first choice striker but we are so short in that position he would always be worth a place on the bench as long as he’s on form. 

4 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

If Rhodes is playing first team football and is playing well he should always be in the squad in my opinion. 

He wouldn’t be my first choice striker but we are so short in that position he would always be worth a place on the bench as long as he’s on form. 

Ach, away.

1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

Ach, away.

Just my opinion.

Rather than dismissing someone else’s opinion with no explanation, maybe you could advise who you would have in before him?

Rhodes is a goal scorer. Other than most people’s first choice striker (Griffiths), we don’t really have another player that can put the ball in the back of the net regularly. 

If, and admittedly it’s a big if, Rhodes is a success at Norwich and starts banging in the goals, I think he should be in the Scotland squad. He would be decent option to come off the bench with 10 minutes to go if we need a goal.

I am terribly biased because I really like the guy, great great attitude has always had a good relationship with the fans.  I know his strengths are not suited to our formation and I don't see a way around that because we do not have a vast pool of quality players to choose from.  However, as Texas Pete said above, if you need a goal it is an option so he would be in my squad IF he is fit and IF he is in good form.  Sadly for me, looking at his form since leaving Blackburn has shown none of that.  I am willing him on that Norwich will be good for him over Wednesday and Middlesbrough which I don't think he was suited for at all. I do feel that he has the quality to be a top league goal scorer but MB was not the team for him.  

12 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Just my opinion.

Rather than dismissing someone else’s opinion with no explanation, maybe you could advise who you would have in before him?

Rhodes is a goal scorer. Other than most people’s first choice striker (Griffiths), we don’t really have another player that can put the ball in the back of the net regularly. 

If, and admittedly it’s a big if, Rhodes is a success at Norwich and starts banging in the goals, I think he should be in the Scotland squad. He would be decent option to come off the bench with 10 minutes to go if we need a goal.

I had hopes for Oli Shaw but of Hibs 12 goals in the Faroes he only got one and failed to complete the second leg.

12 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Just my opinion.

McBurnie did very well the Championship and i think it would be better to keep him involved if Griffiths unfit. I’d also like to see Russell used as a striker. McLeish will probably also play Phillips as a centre forward where required. If Hornby plays first team football at Everton or on loan, I’d have him in the squad, as I could see within 10 seconds he was a player. Fair enough if Rhodes is on fire he might be worth a thought if we’re desperate for a goal but it’s not looking good for him.

4 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

McBurnie did very well the Championship and i think it would be better to keep him involved if Griffiths unfit. I’d also like to see Russell used as a striker. McLeish will probably also play Phillips as a centre forward where required. If Hornby plays first team football at Everton or on loan, I’d have him in the squad, as I could see within 10 seconds he was a player. Fair enough if Rhodes is on fire he might be worth a thought if we’re desperate for a goal but it’s not looking good for him.

I’m not convinced by McBurnie. He looked a bit out of his depth and lacked composure in the games I’ve seen him in. He is only 22 though to be fair to the guy so could still be a big player for us. 

If Griffiths gets injured, which he is prone to do, we will be struggling to get 3 decent strikers per squad. Phillips is never a centre forward. OK he scored a decent goal against Hungary but I’d much rather see him play in his natural position if McLeish is going to select him. 

Lets just hope Griffiths gets fit and finds his form before the 10th of September.