Sign in to follow this  
DoonTheSlope

Alan Gilzean

Very sorry to hear that.

Was a star when I was growing up and remember seeing him playing in the first few Scotland games I was taken to in the late 60s.

And of course, scored a winning goal v England in 1964.

Thanks for the memories Alan. RIP. 

58 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

I didn’t think he was as old as that. I always had it in my mind that he played mid 70s

Pretty scary that players from the 1970s are now in their 80s!

Just before my time, but must have been pretty good. Newspapers in the mid seventies used to run greatest Scotland teams of all time competitions , and he was always in the squads.

Edited by ceudmilefailte

RIP but why did i get several emails about this post and thread

One of the best headers of a ball I ever saw. He never powered them, the ball just seemed to glance of his bald pate. Specially remember him in a 5-3 win away to Wales - there were several great headers in both teams. It is a dying art in my view. BTW thought he was long dead!

1 hour ago, Barney Rubble said:

Sorry folks - Alan's son who played for Dundee was Ian Gilzean, not Alan as I said upstairs.

I remember his laddie playing.

A true Legend..A real Gentleman...Will be sadly missed..fortunately I was around to see the genius at work..back in the days when we could realistically WIN

Incredible scoring record - almost a goal a game for Dundee and twelve for Scotland from 22 appearances.

Reporting Scotland had a nice if brief tribute tonight but wrongly stated one of the goals  shown was for Scotland in West Germany in 1969 when it was infact for Dundee against Anderlecht in the European Cup six years earlier!

RIP Alan Gilzean