Gay footballers? - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I was watching a fairly dull football match and it just occurred to me, are there any openly gay ex footballers out there?

Apparently of 5000 professional footballers in UK, none are openly gay

One lower league player apparently was outed accidentally,  but none followed. But, apparently he didn't have any problem. So football fans are not necessarily as homophobic as people (we) assume?

Whereas pride events (such as today) are very popular in the media, supported by big businesses and seemingly almost part of the mainstream culture, yet football seems to have an issue.

So who perpetuates homophobia in the game - some blame the fans, others blame the authorities... or is the general silence part of the problem?  

Anyway, on the original point, even if gay footballers hide their sexuality while playing, what happens when they stop being footballers? Do they continue to act straight forever, or quietly come out later? It just occurred to me I couldn't think of any example where we hear that ex United player Jim settled down with Brian...  

2 minutes ago, exile said:

Anyway, on the original point, even if gay footballers hide their sexuality while playing, what happens when they stop being footballers? Do they continue to act straight forever, or quietly come out later? It just occurred to me I couldn't think of any example where we hear that ex United player Jim settled down with Brian...  

McInally and Welsh?

Thomas Hitzlsperger.

And the US international whose name I forget.

Not sure what the point of the thread is to be honest.

I mean what's the point? Can the guy play football? Is he the best available for that position in the team?

That's all that counts.

3 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

I mean what's the point? Can the guy play football? Is he the best available for that position in the team?

That's all that counts.

Agreed. I did think twice about posting this but I saw somewhere that a culture of silence was part of the problem of homophobia (though I can't find it now. I did however find there is a book A Culture of Silence: A Story of Football's Battle with Homophobia.) And it occurred to me that I don't recall anyone I know/on here talking about the issue. I can also see why people might wish to keep their heads down and just get on with the game. 

For avoidance of doubt, I'm not interested in football players' personal lives, but you can't help noticing the existence of articles and stories about players' WAGS and family lives, but never the alternative (or so I thought) and was just curious if anyone else had.      

What issue? There is no issue... folks sexuality has nothing to do with how good at fitba they are. People trying to make a non issue into an issue is the issue.

For 'footballs battle with homophobia' read 'societies battle with homophobia'... and who cares who is porking who.

12 hours ago, ger intae them said:

What issue? There is no issue... folks sexuality has nothing to do with how good at fitba they are. People trying to make a non issue into an issue is the issue.

For 'footballs battle with homophobia' read 'societies battle with homophobia'... and who cares who is porking who.

You're right, it's not a problem. However the press like to play on the fact that no famous current player has come out openly. 

Theyre doing this because they are fishing and would stalk anybody who did come out looking for scandal or shite to print. 

It's how the scumbag press works. And how the moronic celebrity obsessed part of our "culture" likes it. 

Anyone with more than 2 brain cells just wants good players doing their job.