Sweden support thread - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Sweden support thread

bonny78

I think many of us if we are honest have at times taken a wee bit pleasure from England’s misfortune in previous tournaments, particularly when they have arrogantly assumed they would sweep away all before them.  I sense a different England now...  the media are travelling more in hope than expectation.  Gareth Southgate seems a decent guy... there doesn’t appear to be any billy big shots in the team.  

So far in this tournament, I have been neutral on England’s progress.  I have many English friends I would be very happy for if they do well.  Of course, the proof in the pudding will be if they make it to the final! 😂

I doubt it, some shocking stuff Bonny 78 has inflicted on us. I don’t want England to do well at any football tournament but I think we’ll just have to accept this is their year, runners up is the worst they’ll do this time round. Their players and manager do seem a decent lot but as usual their media , pundits and commentators are awful, the lot of them Shearer, Ferdinand, Wright etc and how fucking annoying is Gabby Logan, isn’t she Welsh?

7 minutes ago, IT’S THEIR TIME said:

I doubt it, some shocking stuff Bonny 78 has inflicted on us. I don’t want England to do well at any football tournament but I think we’ll just have to accept this is their year, runners up is the worst they’ll do this time round. Their players and manager do seem a decent lot but as usual their media , pundits and commentators are awful, the lot of them Shearer, Ferdinand, Wright etc and how fucking annoying is Gabby Logan, isn’t she Welsh?

For Gabby Logan, read Ally McCoist, Alan Hansen and Dan Cake.

50 minutes ago, IT’S THEIR TIME said:

Wots so shocking about wanting England to lose???    

Can you no go back to posting monotonous shite about random games from mid 2000s and the dawg, the dawg being Christian Dailly

I thought with marching season being on you’d be too pre-occupied to be juggling two(that we know off) accounts

9 hours ago, IT’S THEIR TIME said:

Forget everything else.  For me Gabby Logan is enough to want them wiped out.

5 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Can you no go back to posting monotonous shite about random games from mid 2000s and the dawg, the dawg being Christian Dailly

I thought with marching season being on you’d be too pre-occupied to be juggling two(that we know off) accounts

I ve only got one account on here and i dont do any dinosaur marches.  

18 hours ago, Malcolm said:

So far in this tournament, I have been neutral on England’s progress.  I have many English friends I would be very happy for if they do well.  Of course, the proof in the pudding will be if they make it to the final! 😂

Thought that about myself too, until they missed that penalty against Colombia. Spilt my tea and swallowed a Jaffa Cake so I did. 😉

I wasn't sure whether to post in here or to await for the Croatia support thread. I'm just enjoying the ride. I'm not getting carried away because the reality is that we've been gifted a much easier run of fixtures than you would normally get in a World Cup. Although in normal circumstances I'd consider getting to a semi-final a very good achievement, I think you have to consider who you've had to play in order to get there. That's not being disrespectful to Columbia or Sweden, but they're not two of the giants of world football. Plus you then have to factor in that we couldn't even beat Columbia on goals scored and had to rely on the (relative) lottery of a penalty shoot-out. I do get frustrated about people who fail to recognise that the margins between success and failure are so slender. Had England lost on penalties to Columbia there would be some people calling England failures. But because we won, those same players are now heroes. The reality is that they're not either. Not yet, anyway. We've beaten Sweden now and I think we deserved to and I give the players some credit for that. If we can beat Croatia (on goals scored), I'll give them even more. Don't get me wrong, I'm not being negative about England. I think we're improving and I think the future for England is looking quite good, especially when you consider the successes we've been having at youth team level. However, we have got a long, long way to go before we can get close to thinking of ourselves as one of the top teams in world football. Even if we did somehow manage to win this World Cup, I'd still feel that this was just the first step towards that aim. You have to perform consistently over numerous tournaments, and against the top teams, before you can think of yourself as among the best. In this tournament Belgium have beaten Brazil and France have beaten Argentina. Those are the sorts of results you have to produce in order to earn the right to consider yourself among the best. If we beat Croatia and then Belgium/France to win it, then I'll be impressed. At the moment, I'm not overly impressed. I'm delighted to be in the semi-final, but I genuinely don't feel like we've achieved that much yet. 

1 hour ago, George Saint said:

I wasn't sure whether to post in here or to await for the Croatia support thread. I'm just enjoying the ride. I'm not getting carried away because the reality is that we've been gifted a much easier run of fixtures than you would normally get in a World Cup. Although in normal circumstances I'd consider getting to a semi-final a very good achievement, I think you have to consider who you've had to play in order to get there. That's not being disrespectful to Columbia or Sweden, but they're not two of the giants of world football. Plus you then have to factor in that we couldn't even beat Columbia on goals scored and had to rely on the (relative) lottery of a penalty shoot-out. I do get frustrated about people who fail to recognise that the margins between success and failure are so slender. Had England lost on penalties to Columbia there would be some people calling England failures. But because we won, those same players are now heroes. The reality is that they're not either. Not yet, anyway. We've beaten Sweden now and I think we deserved to and I give the players some credit for that. If we can beat Croatia (on goals scored), I'll give them even more. Don't get me wrong, I'm not being negative about England. I think we're improving and I think the future for England is looking quite good, especially when you consider the successes we've been having at youth team level. However, we have got a long, long way to go before we can get close to thinking of ourselves as one of the top teams in world football. Even if we did somehow manage to win this World Cup, I'd still feel that this was just the first step towards that aim. You have to perform consistently over numerous tournaments, and against the top teams, before you can think of yourself as among the best. In this tournament Belgium have beaten Brazil and France have beaten Argentina. Those are the sorts of results you have to produce in order to earn the right to consider yourself among the best. If we beat Croatia and then Belgium/France to win it, then I'll be impressed. At the moment, I'm not overly impressed. I'm delighted to be in the semi-final, but I genuinely don't feel like we've achieved that much yet. 

Why is it so hard for so many to spell Colombia correctly? 

6 hours ago, George Saint said:

Very measured post GS.   Am I right in saying you've waited until the semis before surfacing though?  :lol:

You can only beat who's in front of you, as am sure you're hearing a lot.   I enjoyed watching Croatia running rings around Argentina, but maybe that was a false impression.   Or maybe they gave them too much room, unlike Denmark & Russia.   I expect England will try to benefit from breaks and set pieces, and Croatia certainly seemed knackered the other night.

I've reversed my early opinion and am making you slight favourites for this one.   That's you jinxed XXX :cheers3:

20 hours ago, Ormond said:

Why is it so hard for so many to spell Colombia correctly? 

It's not a word that I often have to spell or that I often see written down. I, perhaps mistakenly, pronounce it Co-lum-bia (with an um sound rather than an om sound), so that contributed to me misspelling it. Also, I have more often seen written down the words Washington DC (District of Columbia) and Columbia Pictures, so both of those things added to my confusion. I just hope Faustino Asprilla and Carlos Valderrama find it in their hearts to forgive me for misspelling the name of their great country. Huge respect to you though, Urmund, for being able to spell it correctly. I hope in future that I can be like you.