The Recurring Broadcasting Issue - Page 6 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Recurring Broadcasting Issue

Radio 5 Live has been quite something since after the Colombia game

Prior to that it was actually not bad

However the lengths of absolute drivel pish they have been coming out with regards Southgate, his backroom staff and the players has reached Princess Diana funeral levels

Thats why i'm praying for Croatia to surprise me

The worst thing about all this is that the media hadn't been so absolutely terrible in the run up to this tournament - they'd almost accepted their place in the second or third tier, rather than the attitude they've had for most of my lifetime that they're on a par with the big boys (for me that's a very small club of Germany, Italy, Brazil and Argentina and no-one else). This run to the semis will now mean that before the next euros, and the next world cup, and probably the next two tournaments as well, they'll be pumping themselves up again and the level of hype will be ridiculous. Even though they've beaten no-one of note. 

The first half hour of Newsnight last night was on England's defeat

It was actually unbelievable seeing grown men and women discuss English unity and how proud of Southgate and the boys everybody was

They actually had John Sweeney almost recreating his North Korea investigative atributes from somewhere in England where a couple of thousand had been watching on the big screen

He was disecting the whole meaning of it and giving a serious psychological profile of the fans and their reactions

Fucking mental

This unity angle was repeated on BBC breakfast to a great degree

It's the emperors new clothes again

2 hours ago, biffer said:

The worst thing about all this is that the media hadn't been so absolutely terrible in the run up to this tournament - they'd almost accepted their place in the second or third tier, rather than the attitude they've had for most of my lifetime that they're on a par with the big boys (for me that's a very small club of Germany, Italy, Brazil and Argentina and no-one else). This run to the semis will now mean that before the next euros, and the next world cup, and probably the next two tournaments as well, they'll be pumping themselves up again and the level of hype will be ridiculous. Even though they've beaten no-one of note. 

Just means it'll be all the funnier when they inevitably fall flat on their pusses again.  Jammiest shower of one-dimensional, rely on set-pieces, no-marks ever to reach a last 4.  As pointed out on another thread they couldn't even score from open play with fck all in front of them!

I'm sure I heard some reporter say, "It's not the end, it's the beginning!"  It's not even that.  Simply a flash in the pan before now and again over-achieving their way into the occasional last 8.

23 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

The Nigels had the same number of shots on targets from open play (6) as Saudi Arabia and needed double the time to achieve it.

Surely not?  Harry Kane plays for them.  Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!' and all that.  :lol: 

As others have said at the beginning it was completely subdued and I honestly thought they had learned.

But No , after every game they just wanked themselves into an insane spiral of delusional fake euphoria. The choir at Wimbledon queue singing "its coming home" etc etc etc did it for me. Then every program of every description somehow slipping in some ludicrous reference.

Do they never learn ? (rhetorical)  Fukk em.

I've had the TV on mute since the group stages ended. Time to listen to the commentary again though cos it's fkin hysterical once they've been papped oot - "One wonders what might've been, etc, etc..."

Aye, if only ye hadnae actually been sh*te!

2 hours ago, daviebee said:

I've had the TV on mute since the group stages ended. Time to listen to the commentary again though cos it's fkin hysterical once they've been papped oot - "One wonders what might've been, etc, etc..."

Aye, if only ye hadnae actually been sh*te!

People in glass houses....

6 hours ago, biffer said:

They've got Spain and Croatia in the Nations League. They will win that group easily. That will be them just two games away from being the first team to get their name on that trophy. Pretty much in the bag already.

55 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

They've got Spain and Croatia in the Nations League. They will win that group easily. That will be them just two games away from being the first team to get their name on that trophy. Pretty much in the bag already.

arfityarf

As Keane tried to emphasise last night - Will Germany, Argentina, Spain, Brazil et al not improve between now and the next championships ?

I'll add Holland and Italy

Its as if they dont want to fucking hear it 

They have really exciting players and just need a bit more composure and luck FFS

They wont ever get a better chance with the way the draw fell and the only guaranteed positive is their ranking will stay high and will enjoy seeding bias

Anyone else finding it odd how some people are carrying on as if nothing much happened last night ? Losing is like a bereavement - preposterous tho that may seem. No one died of course but you grieve for shattered dreams & the end of unrepeatable shared experiences

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

Anyone else finding it odd how some people are carrying on as if nothing much happened last night ? Losing is like a bereavement - preposterous tho that may seem. No one died of course but you grieve for shattered dreams & the end of unrepeatable shared experiences

Boaby

12 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

He got torn to shreds for that pretty much from the first reply onwards.

I watched match in bar in Cape Town - even here everyone was sick of the arrogance & "it's coming home"

bar of around 25, & only 2 were supporting England (1 saffer english descent) (1 was French & wanted France to hump them in final)

all the rest including Kenyan's, Congolese etc were punching the air supporting Croatia - now what i found funny is that these guys actually support premiership teams, & in  there all the time watching Liverpool, Man Utd, Chelsea, Man City, 

Saturday I will be watching game at Belgian Consulate -  France/Belgium i watched @ Alliance Francaise, but was a bit lame 

6 hours ago, EddardStark said:

I never have any match commentary on. They generally add zero value .

Correct, you don't have to watch halftime or the match build up either. Papers don't need to be read and the news doesn't have to be on, most of the hype was easily avoidable some people just love being upset tho 

I even deliberately avoid the pundits on Scottish games let alone English ones. Switch on two minutes before kick off and boil the kettle at half time. Sometimes fifteen minutes is a long time.

Pundits are optional and can easily be avoided assuming you know what time the match kicks off at.

Edited by Catchart Circle

1 hour ago, dan cake said:

Correct, you don't have to watch halftime or the match build up either. Papers don't need to be read and the news doesn't have to be on, most of the hype was easily avoidable some people just love being upset tho 

For a thread populated by a crowd of  bores you certainly  are making a fair contribution and seem pretty upset at folk being upset. 

why the fook should people have to mute the Tv during a match to avoid the commentary ? Commentary should compliment the match.

What about blind folk? 

Edited by TDYER63

53 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Now, this might sound a wee bit disableist but, I think the BBC should stop letting them do the commentary. 

😂😂😂 

i am likely to murder someone today. probably no the best time to be posting on a messageboard.