The Recurring Broadcasting Issue - Page 4 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Recurring Broadcasting Issue

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

It was indeed.

Half the folk  on here would rather have seen Michael Stewarts though.

In Ireland most folk watch the game on RTE with Irish commentators, then when England get papped out switch over to the BBC for Ian Wright's tears. Best of both worlds! :lol:

21 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Do you work in England?

If not, then 90% of those watching the BBC coverage will be happy with it. Like it or loathe it, we're part of the UK.

Ok yeah fair enough thought you were referring to Scotland only. Just trying to make the point that I genuinely don't think it's fair or correct that we get (in footballing terms) another country's feed/production. As I said it could be any countries feed we get and it be no less ridiculous.  

21 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

It was indeed.

Half the folk  on here would rather have seen Michael Stewarts though.

Aye I like Michael Stewarts punditry. He's part of the TV football output in the country that I live in. It makes total sense that I have the option to watch him as part of a World Cup broadcast from Scotland. 

17 hours ago, dan cake said:

fixed it for you

Talked about the broadcasting of the World Cup from another country's point of view with the output geared towards not my country's audience. What do you refer to exactly? 

1 hour ago, exile said:

Maybe people should just stop watching British TV then and find another channel or the internet.

Does RT do football in English?

I've been enjoying the coverage here in Canada, if you can get past Steven Caldwell being their expert analyst. 

2 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

I've been enjoying the coverage here in Canada, if you can get past Steven Caldwell being their expert analyst. 

Well there you go! People can use their imagination and decide who they'd rather listen to! 

One of the beauties about having been in Russia for just over a month is that I have missed all this crap with BBC/ITV. I've also been lucky in getting tickets for the other half of the knock-out draw to that which England are still in. Also, I've not heard one English voice in all that time. Wonderful! Nor have I watched any of England's matches. However, with these bastards getting to the last 4, I'm seriously thinking of coming home after the semis. I don't think that I could stomach being in Moscow for the day of the final, as was my original intention, if they were there. On the other hand, if Croatia pump them, they'll be in the third place play-off, for which I've got a ticket.

I've always been intensely anti-England, but since the 2014 and 2016 referenda, the seething in me at the mention of the words England or English, has reached ridiculous levels. Despite wearing a Scotland top on the tram on the way back from Friday's game a Brazilian asked me if I was English. My response was not particularly pleasant, with some of the most colourful language that even I have produced being literally spat back at him.

47 minutes ago, VASCO said:

One of the beauties about having been in Russia for just over a month is that I have missed all this crap with BBC/ITV. I've also been lucky in getting tickets for the other half of the knock-out draw to that which England are still in. Also, I've not heard one English voice in all that time. Wonderful! Nor have I watched any of England's matches. However, with these bastards getting to the last 4, I'm seriously thinking of coming home after the semis. I don't think that I could stomach being in Moscow for the day of the final, as was my original intention, if they were there. On the other hand, if Croatia pump them, they'll be in the third place play-off, for which I've got a ticket.

I've always been intensely anti-England, but since the 2014 and 2016 referenda, the seething in me at the mention of the words England or English, has reached ridiculous levels. Despite wearing a Scotland top on the tram on the way back from Friday's game a Brazilian asked me if I was English. My response was not particularly pleasant, with some of the most colourful language that even I have produced being literally spat back at him.

We're not that bad a bunch really you know ;)

1 hour ago, VASCO said:

See, this is an example of what someone will comment after years of English broadcasting in Scotland with no Scottish output available. This is unhealthy, unfair and completely wrong and there has to be a change.

16 minutes ago, JECK said:

See, this is an example of what someone will comment after years of English broadcasting in Scotland with no Scottish output available. This is unhealthy, unfair and completely wrong and there has to be a change.

It's also entrenched in language. Some countries popularly use a version of "England" to mean Britain. (Separate words for Scotland and UK may exist but popularly the word for England is used to mean the whole country, e.g.   英国  = Yīngguó = England/Britain).

(Just as we often choose to use Holland instead of Netherlands, even though we have both words available). 

That tradition would not change with devolved broadcasting (but maybe only with Scotland having a separate name on the map...).

The broadcasting thing goes further. I switch on Reporting Scotland and a good number of reporters are now English, the weather person is a FIG and invariably half of those interviewed on the particular topic are FIGs.

2 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

We're not that bad a bunch really you know ;)

We're not that bad a bunch either Huddersfield!

Please do not associate all Scots - football fans or otherwise with the above bigoted comments and accept my apologies on behalf of decent Scots who are supposed to be a friendly nation. Many Scots are now openly backing England who previously were afraid to speak out but are now reacting to the bitter anti Englishness which is always portrayed as the Scottish viewpoint. Personally I am neuetral and would have no problem if you won the World Cup - equally I won't be losing any sleep if you don't.

Not only does Vasco hate the English he also seems to hate most Scots given the majority voted NO in 2014 (I didn't incidentally). Maybe he should just stay in Moscow after all.

Edited by Catchart Circle

15 minutes ago, Catchart Circle said:

Please do not associate all Scots - football fans or otherwise with the above bigoted comments and accept my apologies on behalf of decent Scots who are supposed to be a friendly nation. Many Scots are now openly backing England who previously were afraid to speak out but are now reacting to the bitter anti Englishness which is always portrayed as the Scottish viewpoint. Personally I am neuetral and would have no problem if you won the World Cup - equally I won't be losing any sleep if you don't.

Not only does Vasco hate the English he also seems to hate most Scots given the majority voted NO in 2014 (I didn't incidentally). Maybe he should just stay in Moscow after all.

No need at all to apologise! I’ve travelled a lot around Scotland from Shetland to the Borders & all points in between & honestly can say not once have I ever had a single anti-English comment made to me. And I’m aware enough to know that it’s not always the same this side of the border!

I’ve always loved the place & the people & always will. Oh, and the whisky. 

Surely they can broadcast to Scotland on a slight delay so that they can dub the voices of Lineker etc. with Scottish accents and words that better reflect the Scottish perspective.

Shearer: "I think we can beat Croatia. We've got the talent to do it."

Dubbed Scottish accent: "We're honking and we've got nae chance. All our players are pish and we deserve to lose and go hame."

Would be a cost effective solution to a longstanding problem.

4 hours ago, Catchart Circle said:

Again, someone basically going off topic. You've got to question why folk holds these beliefs. The complete and utter clusterfk that is broadcasting in Scotland is the reason. How ridiculous is it really to live in one country but get the the feed/production from another country. The English would be in uproar if it were the other way round. It's blatant antagonism, arrogance. What is the thought process? The jocks will love watching us to cause we would support them like we did when wales reached the semis of the euros (where they equated it to great night for "British" football). 

1 hour ago, JECK said:

Again, someone basically going off topic. You've got to question why folk holds these beliefs. The complete and utter clusterfk that is broadcasting in Scotland is the reason. How ridiculous is it really to live in one country but get the the feed/production from another country. The English would be in uproar if it were the other way round. It's blatant antagonism, arrogance. What is the thought process? The jocks will love watching us to cause we would support them like we did when wales reached the semis of the euros (where they equated it to great night for "British" football). 

Most folk in England haven't got a clue about what happens with Scottish broadcasting and you're right they wouldn't stand for it.  No other nation on earth would stand for it! I've also been in sports shops in Scotland where its easier to get an England top than a Scotland top.

8 hours ago, VASCO said:

The broadcasting thing goes further. I switch on Reporting Scotland and a good number of reporters are now English, the weather person is a FIG and invariably half of those interviewed on the particular topic are FIGs.

What’s a fig? Don’t say a fruit.

3 hours ago, JECK said:

Did Wales have the same level of coverage that England are getting? I can't remember so