The Recurring Broadcasting Issue - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Recurring Broadcasting Issue

26 minutes ago, JECK said:

Don't think your grasping the point.  The pundits nationality isn't the problem per se, it's the coverage where by almost everything is geared towards English bias. The pundits, regardless of nationality will be paid to discuss and promote all things England as that is what the content is based on. 

A sportscene/stv production for every match surely would be correct way to broadcast the World Cup in this country.

I am grasping it, I just couldn't really give a fuck.

90% of the folk watching it will be loving it, so it'll not change.

Some of the best moments of watching the world cups in years gone by are the reactions when they get papped out, although Alan Hansen after the Germans pumped them in 2010 is my personal highlights.

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Some of the best moments of watching the world cups in years gone by are the reactions when they get papped out, although Alan Hansen after the Germans pumped them in 2010 is my personal highlights.

90%, fkin lol 😂 

I've heard folk complaining in my work just about every mornin about English bias for the past month.

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

For someone who doesn't give a fuck you seem pretty animated 🙂  

I cant speak for everyone else but I have no problem with the pundits getting excited when England are playing , I can even accept the biased views, it can happen when you feel passionate about something, of course we would be the same . 

However I dont want it thrust upon me on every game. It may be the case that we currently have no choice as they are a larger part of this union , but that doesnt mean it is right or that people cannot voice their discontent without being accused of sour grapes.

It is so fuckin Scottish to just shut up and accept it. 

1 minute ago, TDYER63 said:

I cant speak for everyone else but I have no problem with the pundits getting excited when England are playing , I can even accept the biased views, it can happen when you feel passionate about something, of course we would be the same . 

However I dont want it thrust upon me on every game. It may be the case that we currently have no choice as they are a larger part of this union , but that doesnt mean it is right or that people cannot voice their discontent without being accused of sour grapes.

It is so fuckin Scottish to just shut up and accept it and fund it and moan about it 

;)

6 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

As long as people in Scotland pay the license fee then they are not being presented with a decision to make. Goes for the football coverage as much as their political coverage. Fuck all will change if you’re prepared to fund them. 

And how do you stop funding them? The licence fee is now virtually nailed on unless you have no tech capable of showing TV. 

And why should you have to go back to the 40s to get peace from this sort of shite. 

We should have decent representation but due to numbers it's never going to happen and we can't not pay as the law is set up to prevent that option. 

1 hour ago, RenfrewBlue said:

And how do you stop funding them? The licence fee is now virtually nailed on unless you have no tech capable of showing TV. 

And why should you have to go back to the 40s to get peace from this sort of shite. 

We should have decent representation but due to numbers it's never going to happen and we can't not pay as the law is set up to prevent that option. 

++

The problem is not English bias, commentators acting like fans, talking about England during a different match, being jingoistic, or whatever. They could slag off Scotland (as they snigger at France and Germany if they slip up) for all I care.  

The problem is broadcasting this feed all across the UK, so we all have to accept the England world view.

The acid test - as I think someone said earlier - is whether they would ever do the reverse. Imagine a tournament where only Scotland, Wales or NI were involved. Do you ever think they would ever say, well, we (England) are not in it, no point in sending London/Salford staff to cover it when the Scots lads at Pacific Quay are covering it, we'll just take their feed.  No way.  

Edited by exile

12 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

If it bothered you that much you’d either stop watching or explore ways to stop paying. 

Its shite that it comes down to that but it’s the BBC after all. 

I’m sure there is also other ways to pay or stream different coverage as well. 

5 hours ago, exile said:

The problem is not English bias, commentators acting like fans, talking about England during a different match, being jingoistic, or whatever. They could slag off Scotland (as they snigger at France and Germany if they slip up) for all I care.  

The problem is broadcasting this feed all across the UK, so we all have to accept the England world view.

The acid test - as I think someone said earlier - is whether they would ever do the reverse. Imagine a tournament where only Scotland, Wales or NI were involved. Do you ever think they would ever say, well, we (England) are not in it, no point in sending London/Salford staff to cover it when the Scots lads at Pacific Quay are covering it, we'll just take their feed.  No way.  

Aye as you say there’s no chance of that. 

It’s a great point about the world view being an English one, that’s a long standing complaint that you could label at the BBC and one that you couldn’t really ignore during the referendum. 

1 hour ago, ParisInAKilt said:

If it bothered you that much you’d either stop watching or explore ways to stop paying. 

Its shite that it comes down to that but it’s the BBC after all. 

I’m sure there is also other ways to pay or stream different coverage as well. 

I tend not to watch the BBC but I have explored the ways of avoiding the licence fee and its pretty much impossible. 

Admittedly this was a few years ago but I doubt anything has changed. 

Plus with small kids in the house you have to have a TV. It's child cruelty otherwise. 

16 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

You do know that 72% of statistics are made up?

In previous tournaments BBC had loads of options on red button, you could have sound with no commentary, 5 live commentary and they even had “celebrity” alternative commentaries.

Not seen that this time, but suppose a Scottish option wouldn’t necessarily be that costly, as the game video feed is the same all over the world, but Youd just get Liam McLeod watching it in a studio in Glasgow and giving commentary.

(be careful what you wish for! :lol: )

18 hours ago, JECK said:

90%, fkin lol 😂 

I've heard folk complaining in my work just about every mornin about English bias for the past month.

Do you work in England?

If not, then 90% of those watching the BBC coverage will be happy with it. Like it or loathe it, we're part of the UK.

17 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Not half as animated as those crying about what commentators say.

I literally couldn't give a fuck what they say....I want England to lose, if they do lose on Saturday then I'll enjoy seeing their puss's crying on national TV again then all the fall out that comes with it.

58 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Not half as animated as those crying about what commentators say.

I literally couldn't give a fuck what they say....I want England to lose, if they do lose on Saturday then I'll enjoy seeing their puss's crying on national TV again then all the fall out that comes with it.

That’s because they DO give a fuck 🙄 🙂

Or do you not give a fuck about those giving a fuck? 

Fuck. 

Thats me used up my sweary allocation for July already. England had better not win. 

😬

I am away to Trnsmt 👋

22 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Out of interest how are England games covered in the Republic of Ireland. Do they just watch them on BBC or ITV like the rest of us?

In Ireland, like the UK, all WC games are on the 'protected list' meaning they must be shown on a free to air channel. So far they've always been shown by the state broadcaster - RTE.

The coverage is pretty much the same, except without all the England cheerleading.

10 hours ago, exile said:

I seem to recall around 15 years ago (when the BBC had the rights to show live Scottish league games) they broadcast the Old Firm games (and only the OF games) to the whole of the UK.

Rather than just taking the usual Sportscene feed and broadcasting it across the whole network, they sent up Lineker and co to do coverage for those outside Scotland. Presumably nobody south of the border would have been able to understand Rob McLean's accent.