The Recurring Broadcasting Issue - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Recurring Broadcasting Issue

I'm sure this has been mentioned in various threads during this World Cup and it may seem a non issue to some folk but this really is starting to annoy the crap out of me and something has to change.

Ok fair enough, everyone knows we are not quite good enough to qualify for tournaments at the moment. But how on earth is it acceptable to show all matches from an English-afied/English perspective at the World Cup in Scotland? Every 2 years it's the same: folk come into work complaining about commentators, or you'll discuss it with your mates in the pub or with relatives or in the street when you bump into someone you know. This happens all over the country. I'm effing sick to the back teeth of it. How is this healthy? 

This ongoing arrogance of of the BBC/itv or the folk that make these decisions is an absolute joke. Can you imagine viewers England having to have the feed from another country. Just wouldn't happen. What is so wrong with sportscene or an stv production showing all the games with not the same English bias pundits? It's mental really. 

Call me delusional but Im convinced this would help in some way to change the mindset of this country in its obsession with all things "hating" England. The fact that so many are oblivious to the issue yet still come complain about it just makes all the more worse.

Completely agree with this, I think we would become less ‘interested’ in the fortunes of England if we had our own broadcasts, although they would remain a rival who we could still never ‘support.’

However, things will not change until we are an independent nation with our own identity.

Post independence I genuinely believe that the self confidence of our entire country will improve drastically within a generation. In turn we will be more focussed on the fortunes of our own national team and it’s success.

9 hours ago, Daz1982 said:

Completely agree with this, I think we would become less ‘interested’ in the fortunes of England if we had our own broadcasts, although they would remain a rival who we could still never ‘support.’

However, things will not change until we are an independent nation with our own identity.

Post independence I genuinely believe that the self confidence of our entire country will improve drastically within a generation. In turn we will be more focussed on the fortunes of our own national team and it’s success.

I agree. I was watching a game the other night, second half had just started and they talked about England for about 2 -3 full minutes without a mention of what was happening on the pitch. Only when the ball was very close to the goals did they cut in back to the match. 

I could hardly believe it. This really gets my goat and definetely affects the way I feel about Englands success. Or not.  

Folk actually write in to newspapers complaining about English bias of commentators yet fail to mention that we don't have to have the English broadcast. I've just read it in the metro opinions section this morning. I'm utterly convinced it has been the same across all the newspapers during the last couple of weeks. I mean how dense are folk in this country. I think I'm actually more annoyed at the complainers who don't highlight the issue of English perspective broadcasting. Every 2 years this is going to happen it's a scandal.

3 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Stop watching then.

Only way it’s going to change.

How many times do you see someone complain about the BBC political bias but still watches QT or quotes a BBC article about Brexit. Often I’d guess. You see it on here all the time. 

That won't make a blind bit of difference. The BBC are run for the London and South East population and that won't change whilst we are part of the Union. 

They couldn't care less if we watch as they aren't interested in us in any way. 

1 minute ago, RenfrewBlue said:

That won't make a blind bit of difference. The BBC are run for the London and South East population and that won't change whilst we are part of the Union. 

While I agree, if a high % of people in Scotland stopped watching and stop paying the fee then you’re more likely to get change. 

Watching and complaining is the waste of time.

Why would they spend additional money to pay for Scottish studios, presenters commentators, crew etc when they've already lumped up God knows how much for the current set up?  Would they need to do the same for BBC Wales and BBC Norn Iron (if such a thing exists) as well to appease people there?  It just doesn't make sense from a cost POV apart from anything else.  I'm a bit fed up with the moaning from people every 2 years when a tournament comes round.  They qualified (again), we didn't (again).  IMO they're perfectly entitled to blow their own trumpet as much as they want.  Until we get a seat at the table and don't feel we're getting fair representation then we just need to suck it up, or switch it off.

2 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Why would they spend additional money to pay for Scottish studios, presenters commentators, crew etc when they've already lumped up God knows how much for the current set up?  Would they need to do the same for BBC Wales and BBC Norn Iron (if such a thing exists) as well to appease people there?  It just doesn't make sense from a cost POV apart from anything else.  I'm a bit fed up with the moaning from people every 2 years when a tournament comes round.  They qualified (again), we didn't (again).  IMO they're perfectly entitled to blow their own trumpet as much as they want.  Until we get a seat at the table and don't feel we're getting fair representation then we just need to suck it up, or switch it off.

Exactly. Who pays for this extra resource? The idea of giving more “experts” money seems ridiculous. Just mute the show. 

21 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

I dont pay to listen to them wittering on blowing their trumpet about England in a game England are not even involved in.

And if you think Scotland would get similar airtime to England if we qualified you are deluded. 

53 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

👍

8 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I dont pay to listen to them wittering on blowing their trumpet about England in a game England are not even involved in.

And if you think Scotland would get similar airtime to England if we qualified you are deluded. 

Yes you do.

And I don’t think Fairbairn believes that. Doubt any of us do.

1 hour ago, ParisInAKilt said:

While I agree, if a high % of people in Scotland stopped watching and stop paying the fee then you’re more likely to get change. 

Watching and complaining is the waste of time.

shite. would make zero difference if Scots stopped watching or paying

20 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Yes you do.

And I don’t think Fairbairn believes that. Doubt any of us do.

Ok let me rephrase that.

I am unhappy that the service I pay for is being hijacked  by commentators more focused on their own team than the game in hand. If I thought for one minute switching off would help then  i would, but it wont make a blind bit of difference as Renfrew Blue pointed out. 

2 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Ok let me rephrase that.

I am unhappy that the service I pay for is being hijacked  by commentators more focused on their own team than the game in hand. If I thought for one minute switching off would help then  i would, but it wont make a blind bit of difference as Renfrew Blue pointed out. 

What do you do then? By all means moan about it online with like minded people but that won’t change a thing. 

One person switching off won’t change anything but millions would. The same idea could be applied to other things we all disagree with. 

14 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Really? You think millions turning off and not paying wouldn’t change anything at all?

No.

Even if 100% of the 10% of the viewers turned off...well it'd never happen so no point debating it.

2 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

What do you do then? By all means moan about it online with like minded people but that won’t change a thing. 

One person switching off won’t change anything but millions would. The same idea could be applied to other things we all disagree with. 

If I was better with technology I genuinely would try and watch the games on a different channel/site. I go off and do something else at half time  but there is not much you can do during the match. Muting loses the atmosphere. 

I honestly dont think switching off would change things , we are a tiny part of this union.  This is not a new grievance, they clearly know how irritating it is to many viewers outwith England but choose to do nothing. 

17 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

If I was better with technology I genuinely would try and watch the games on a different channel/site. I go off and do something else at half time  but there is not much you can do during the match. Muting loses the atmosphere. 

I honestly dont think switching off would change things , we are a tiny part of this union.  This is not a new grievance, they clearly know how irritating it is to many viewers outwith England but choose to do nothing. 

As long as people in Scotland pay the license fee then they are not being presented with a decision to make. Goes for the football coverage as much as their political coverage. Fuck all will change if you’re prepared to fund them. 

14 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

As long as people in Scotland pay the license fee then they are not being presented with a decision to make. Goes for the football coverage as much as their political coverage. Fuck all will change if you’re prepared to fund them. 

SORRY AGAIN. THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH TO MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE.

Scotland pissed on daily at WM and in the media..

Hence they could not give a toss.