Le Tour 18 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Le Tour 18

biffer

Rather than doing it on a general doping thread, a thread for the Tour itself would be better!

Quite cool team announcement video fro Team Dimension data

http://africasteam.com/2018/06/29/2018-tour-de-france-team-announcement/

Some decent lead out guys for Cav in there. I think Boassen Hagen is a machine.

Edited by biffer

It's got the potential to be a belter, all the stuff simmering under the radar. Some really nice stages.

As i said stage 17 is some mad 65km 3 mountain "Sprint" also using formula 1 spacing for the start for it. So will you wait for your team or just go out alone.

Really enjoying this opening Vendee stage. Had a wonderful holiday there a few years back. Sunny without being unbearable. Friendly place.

Noirmoutier was a great day out. Salt pans amazing sight.

Stayed close to La-roche-sur-Yon where finish is. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, phart said:

Great stage today. Watch highlights.

Just did. I love how Sky just don't give a fuck anymore. As if Dave has just thought "Europe will never believe us now. The UK will never question us. Have at it guys. Let's go full Landis!" 😂

Froome never really protected him(i think),he attacked him right at the end, so Thomas went again and then caught Neimel (sp?) who should have got the win, but internal SKY politics seem to be at play. I'm not 100% with this, just the impression i got watching it.

7 hours ago, Parklife said:

Just did. I love how Sky just don't give a fuck anymore. As if Dave has just thought "Europe will never believe us now. The UK will never question us. Have at it guys. Let's go full Landis!" 😂

5 of the surviving 10 climbers were SKY, that Rowe was doing massive turns the folk in the cycling news race forum thought he had been dropped but he re-appeared and folk were joking that he was going back to get a cheese and wine platter. and someone else was playing angry birds while everyone else was getting shelled out the back.

I think the majority of the current UK fans never saw US Postal so the same BS from back then works on them as it's original.

I'm looking forward to later today as well, The UCI and WADA proved they don't give a fuck so i'm just enjoying it now. No point moaning about cheating when the relevant authorities don't give a fuck either.

It looked to me like Froome didn't go the first time so the rest couldn't use him as a lead out. He seemed to be content if Thomas went away. It was only when Dan Martin had a go that Froome took his wheel. Aye, some interesting team politics. I thought Froome was numero uno and that Thomas was only there to support him, but it did look like Froome bided his time with the chasing pack so as not to give them any encouragement. If they can both get rid of Dumoulin today then it could be interesting to see them in direct competition.

6 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

It looked to me like Froome didn't go the first time so the rest couldn't use him as a lead out. He seemed to be content if Thomas went away. It was only when Dan Martin had a go that Froome took his wheel. Aye, some interesting team politics. I thought Froome was numero uno and that Thomas was only there to support him, but it did look like Froome bided his time with the chasing pack so as not to give them any encouragement. If they can both get rid of Dumoulin today then it could be interesting to see them in direct competition.

I think after watching the breakaway all day and it almost succeeding had me hating THomas and Froome racing up to the line. So I might have missed the simple shit as i forgot Froome had responded to Martin.

Will be a good stage again today. Teams need to blow the race up with elaborate plans involving getting men in front in breakaways, otherwise the SKY train will just tempo up each hill fast enough that any conventional breaks will be impossible. Froome vs "G" might be the interesting competition, a throwback to badger vs Le mond.

Climbing the Alpe must be mental, it's an absolute Zoo there right now! Imagine when they get there with the race.

9 hours ago, fringo said:

Great last 2 days racing.

Yeah i picked these two days out to make time to watch them, glad i did. 10th fastest time up ALD since 2006 as well. That stage was brutal yesterday as well, and they also sat up to wait on Nibali on the Alpe after he crashed.

Tom Doumolin has been eating his weetabix as well as Bardet, some really strong riders in this years tour.

Froome maybe feeling the Giro a bit as well, can't blame him, Pyrenees next plenty of time for anyone to blow up.

33 minutes ago, irnbruman said:

The cycling pundits like Millar and Boardman give a great insight

Are you kidding? David Millar in particular is laughable. 

This has potential to be a total shake up, on last climb everyone isolated pretty much, only GC riders about with over 12km of hard climbing left.

EDIT: everyone strung out as well.

Edited by phart

Quinatana put some time up that final climb 6.1 W/kg for 45 mins or so. Dan Martin as well.

That Wilt Voels for SKY is a beast he's ridden point up loads of climbs and just shells everyone bar about 10 other riders, day after day